Can anyone help me understand GoPros?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rawhyde, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    A few years ago, I got interested in photography. I like landscape photography, and I've taken a few pretty good shots and enjoyed doing it.

I'd like to build a nice quadcopter to haul around a GoPro. The problem is, they make more versions of the GoPro than Carter has pills.

The Hero at $129 doesn't have WiFi, and the burst rate and time lapse intervals aren't very appealing.

For $199, the White does have WiFi, and more flexibility on the burst rate and time lapse intervals.

Moving up to the Silver at $299 gets 10 MP vs 5 MP with the cheaper options. I know more is always better, but is it worth $100 more?

All of the technobabble over the video formats and frame rates is way over my head. I've got zero experience or knowledge about video cameras. Some advice on this point would be greatly appreciated.

On the WiFi issue, supposedly, it allows you to view on your iOS device "real time" what the camera sees, and allows you to control the camera. (Start/stop video recording, take a picture, trigger burst mode, etc.) All of this sounds cool, but it's going on a copter. Does anyone know what the effective range of the WiFi is to an iPhone/iPad? If it only reaches 50' or so, it's utterly useless; but if it has meaningful range, it's fantastic.

Does anyone know about the GoPro studio software? There's a free version, a $300 "Premium" version, and a whopping $1000 "Professional" version.

The $1000 version does this:
    All GoPro Studio Premium features plus Professional 3D Features:
    Individual eye adjustments: color, image flip
    Depth Tilt to adjust relative depth of primary objects
    Keystoning to adjust camera toe-in/out
    Floating Windows to manage edge violations​

Is that even English? I've watched a lot of Star Trek, but this technobabble is just incomprehensible.

I've used Photoshop CS4 and CS6 since 2009. I can't do everything the package can do, but I CAN process pics and make them look good. I had to read a few books and practice a lot, but I have developed a feel for what it is capable of in hands more talented than mine. Even so, I can get good results from it.

I've tried researching this on the web, but most of the articles seem to be written for a professional IMAX camera operator. I just want to take some nice video and still shots from an flyin' camera!

Can anyone jump in and help me out?

2. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Staff Microbiologist/hematologist at UC Davis
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry, I know next to nothing about GoPros, but I hope someone is able to help! :fingerscrossed:

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Which quadcopter are you looking at?

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Seems for $1000 you could buy a camera that does video better than a GoPro. I'm not a video shooter, but if I decide I need moving pictures I'll go with a more traditional camera.

5. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I've looked at several, but I decided to build a SimpleCopter V-Tail Quad. Check it out on Youtube.

I think it'll be a lot more fun to build a copter than to buy a ready made one, and I think I'll be able to get more bang for the buck that way. I bought an inexpensive quad with a camera from Hobbytown that I've been flying since Christmas. Seems like a good idea to learn the basics of flying on a cheaper machine before jumping into something that has enough power to carry around a GoPro.

The V-Tail is easier to see the orientation in the sky, and looks like a hoot to fly without a camera; but it packs enough power to carry a GoPro on a gimble with FPV gear. I'm gonna learn to film on the ground and learn to fly the copter before I strap a camera on it.

If you know about quads or video cameras, any advice or ideas would be great.

6. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    The camera is $200 or $300. The $1000 was for some high end video editing software that I doubt I'll need.

The limiting factor is how much weight the copter can carry. A GoPro is about the size of a pack of unfiltered cigarettes but can shoot 1080p video and 5-12 MP stills depending on the version. There's no way I can afford a copter that can carry a real video camera, and I don't have the skill to fly it or operate the fancy camera yet.

I'm trying to get a rig that can give me good results that I can afford to build and add features as I need them and can afford them. Eventually, I want an FPV setup so I can fly it from the pilot's perspective with a video feed and control the camera from the ground.

7. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    I would recommend the Hero Black 3+, has good frame rates, has protune and would do everything you need to attach to a quad, I would not put too much money in the air and risk loosing quad and camera.
    I fly a Phantom and a Phantom 2+ with Zenmuse gimbal, as of now I would not recommend using Wi-Fi from GoPro as there is some suspicion they may lead to flyaway when used with NAZA flight controls.
    Don't try to put a SLR on a platform unless you have really deep pockets, $15,000 is about what it would take to fly a larger camera.

Also would not recommend jumping into hobby yet until the FAA has issued policies on aerial photography and quads. There is so much bad press out there that I really don't know what to expect. As of now it is illegal to fly any RC camera platform in any National Park.

8. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    #8 docv, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    This was shot with my setup and as you can see very stable, watch in HD

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkDjds4fKpk"]MINIs on the Dragon Parade 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

9. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Vid looks nice and controlled except for all the MINIs who had trouble with that "massive sharp curve" and not staying in their lane!!!

10. farkus

farkus Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    You have a good start with the smaller quad, but don't be intimidated by the larger quad with the GoPro. They're easier to fly than the smaller quads.

I have a Hero 3+ Black mounted on a DJI Phantom 1, and after 8 months of flying, I've had zero problems, zero crashes and I fly over water all the time. No gimbal, no FPV, just aim and shoot...total cost about $800.

The Hero 3+ is a wide angle panoramic camera, so anything close is fish-eyed. If you're looking for an digital SLR with zoom capabilities, I can't help. Keep in mind that your neighbors are probably going to think you're looking in their windows no matter what type of camera, but with the wide angle on the Gopro you can show them that they don't have to be concerned about peeping.

Here are a few video screen captures from my backyard and our local sports park with higher aerials as well as the lower shot over the pond...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck and welcome to the fun!

11. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    There was a break in the pavement on the right side, that's what most were avoiding. Wasn't really that big of hole.

12. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    At first I thought maybe you had parked your car on that side of the road and that was what they were all avoiding!!!

13. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    I missed the donut run group, you guys were moving too fast, I didn't have time to get quad up in the air.

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Not us, no way. Never happen. Nope, nada.