For all of you that served and are serving....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rum4, Nov 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    "I stood up, I showed up, I stepped forward. I raised my right hand, I stood in the gap, I walked in the fire. I did not run, I did not hide, I did not dodge, I did not evade. Consequently... I have nothing to prove, no one to convince, those who matter, already know. Those who don't, never will."*
    -Author Unknown

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    [​IMG]

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Just wondering if the Merchant Marine is recognized, too. :confused5: After all, the Merchant Marine played a big part in WW II with what were called Q-boats, I think. Q-boats were merchant vessels outfitted with gun batteries to protect against submarine and air attacks, since most merchant vessels were unarmed and therefore, easy pickings.

4. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Never have heard it said better than that.

5. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    My Uncle was a gunner on the 3" battery on the bow of a Merchant Marine ship during WWII. He was torpedoed once in all his trips across the pond.
    Most people don't know about the "Liberty Ship" program, but we couldn't have won the war in Europe without them. They were the first modular built ships assembled using welding rather than rivets. They actually completed one ship in less than 5 days! It's amazing what this great country can do when everyone is working toward the same goal.

6. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I think the Merchant Marine, while, even though they are/were not classified as "Armed Forces", should be recognized as ones who served and continue to serve our nation. Thank you, very VERY much! :Thumbsup:

7. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Q ships were manned by Navy personnel. During WWII, the Brits had nine and the Americans had five. They weren't as effective as they were in WWI.

Liberty ships were armed, check out the Jeremiah O'Brien at the San Francisco Maritime Museum to see an unaltered example.

Merchant Mariners suffered the highest rate of casualties of any service in WWII.

8. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    We have a Liberty Ship in Baltimore, I have been aboard her, featured tour of her engine room by one of the guys who helped bring her back to life.

S.S. JOHN W. BROWN