Insomnia sucks...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by caseydog, Nov 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Here it is, 2:13 in the morning, and I am posting to this forum. I went to bed more than two hours ago, and couldn't fall asleep. So, here I am, wide awake. I will pay for this tomorrow.

There is a line of heavy thunderstorms on the way. They should get here around 4am. That means I will finally fall asleep at 3:45 am -- so I can be awakened 15 minutes later by thunder. If that doesn't wake me up, the city will probably fire up the tornado sirens. If you have never been woken up by tornado sirens, I can promise you you don't sleep for the rest of the night.

I'm thinking this is an age thing. I never had insomnia when I was 24. Now that I am 54, it seems to happen on a regular, but at the same time, random basis.

Well, at least I have this forum to complain on. It won't help me fall asleep, but maybe some other insomniac will have something to read.

CD

2. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    #2 caseydog, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Yep, the Tornado sirens are going off. It is 4am, on the nose. The iPhone warning system woke me and psycho-poodle up first, and then the sirens went off. Psycho poodle leaped out of bed when the iPhone warning lit up. It took me a little longer to fully wake up and get out of bed.

CD

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Every night for me. I just grab my iPad and read. No use in fighting it. I use melatonin every once in a while, it helps. But if you use it to often your body will quit making it on its own. I stay away from melds.

4. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    And spellcheck apparently. :D
    Don't worry about it. As you get older it'll change. Not for the better though. I count myself lucky when I can get four hours in a row. Seems I get about half my sleep sitting up on the couch. That way I can see out the window and yell at those kids to get off the damned lawn! Seems the older I get the more my sleeping habits mirror those of an infant. :frown2: Fall asleep at odd times during the day and wake up in the middle of the night hungry. Thank god I don't have to deal with tornado sirens though!
    Whatever you do, stay away from the television in the middle of the night! You'll end up with a butt load of useless gadgets and kitchen appliances. :mad2:

5. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I got cured REAL quick from buying something on late nite TV. You know, buy one and get another one free, just pay for S & H. I bought 2 of something, gave them my credit card #....and then the offers started. Like, hit 1 to accept and 2 for no. After I got tired of that for 10 minutes, I just hung up. Big mistake...

The total bill that was charged to my account was $147.00 to purchase a $39.95 item. The rest was the S & H. Oh wait, that was for 2 items, which both turned out to be POS.

6. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like you are in DFW like me. While I appreciate the sirens warning me, and the good real-time weather coverage the local TV stations provide, I had a difficult time going back to sleep after the threat had passed. I'm a zombie now and I've got to lead a 200 person conference call shortly.

Sometimes, I wish I drank coffee.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I found that setting a consist wake time helped. Forced myself to get out of bed the same time each day. It took a few weeks to get on a schedule but now I'm fairly consistent in not having insomnia.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    ......and it's a real biotch when on vacation, but it seems to work.

9. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    One man's solution: Set the DVR to record every showing of Law & Order. Start watching about 9:30 to 10:00 and when you wake up in the middle of the 3rd or 4th episode slam back a shot of good whisky and go to bed. Works fer me. Self inflicted boredom.

10. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I get up at the same time every day. My 80 lb yellow lab sticks his cold nose under the covers at six o'clock every morning. On the weekends I can hit the snooze button by telling him to, "Go to bed." that buys me a half an hour, then he jumps on the bed and there's no going to sleep after that!

11. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Next time, I'll have to go with a shot of whiskey. A shot of vodka did nothing for me. :beer

BTW, the tornado was small, weak and 30 miles away.

CD