Millennials - A Video

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nathan, May 2, 2016.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Heh, I know these people, for they inhabit the same hood as me.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLpE1Pa8vvI"]You've Gotta Love Millennials - Micah Tyler - YouTube[/ame]

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    "L".... I liked that...:D

3. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Cute video, but depressing to think about...

4. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    The older you are the less you have to worry about it; :biggrin5:

5. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    That is scarier than zombies. I'm so glad both my kids have their feet firmly planted on the ground and are not waiting for a trophy for just showing up for work.

6. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Hey! I opened this thread all by myself!! Where's my trophy?

7. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    #7 Qik, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    As a millennial (born in 82') I hate that I'm included with this generation. We're not all like that. I know there is A LOT of entitlement with this group, and SEVERE lack of respect for anyone besides themselves. I contribute that behavior to lack of guidance. You can't really blame them, they didn't raise themselves.
    Most millennials need to learn and most do the hard way that life isn't easy, and you don't get your way just by throwing a fit. I grew up different then most, and was out on my own at 16 I had to learn real fast I had to work hard and take care of myself because no one else will. From where I sit, the real problem is parents not being parents. They're more concerned with their kids being friends and keeping them happy(not pouting). Kids need a kick in the ass every now and then. They also need, like anybody, leadership. Competent leadership.
    ALSO, before everyone was picking on millennials, they were picking on Gen X'ers saying they had everything handed to them, no respect, and bla bla bla... I guess we're just next in line. If only they had internets back then so the older generations could ***** about the younger generations on a larger scale instead of just to each other in a bar.

8. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    #8 Qik, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    At work we go thru A LOT of young 20 somethings like crazy. It just amazes me that they really expect something for just showing up for work on time. I had 2 guys show up at least 15 minutes late 3 days in a row their first week. Then when they get written up about it they throw a fit! It felt SO good to walk them out the following Monday when they were F'n late AGAIN!
    We go thru the young'ns like crazy. The longest one has made it was 6 months. No work ethic with the majority of them what so ever.

9. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    The occasional time I spend with a particular program on a local liberal arts private college exposes me to these millennials. These particular kids have a fire in their gut and a cold hard stare into the future. Making broad generalizations on any topic can lead to false value judgments. Remember: "All Indians walk in single file. I know because the one that I saw, did."

10. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    At the last car magazine I worked for, we had an intern, just out of college, living with his parents and... (wait for it)... a skateboarder. He had "millennial" written all over him.

He was into making skateboarding videos, and in the process, developed some very useful tools and accessories for videography. He started a company that manufactures and sells videography gear. http://www.woodencamera.com

You just never know. :Thumbsup:

CD

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Ok that was TOOOOOOOOOO funny!

Qik, you need to know this on the front end, my generation was perfect! Our music was better, our work ethic was better, and we know how to dress!:lol::lol::lol:

Ok I am kidding, well not about the music. You are correct the parents have dropped the ball, but so has our schools. I have 4 kids, 3 in college and one in high school. I am floored by what I see other parents do but even more up set at what the schools allow! More than once I have had the school undermine my teaching with lax rules or not demanding a higher standard. I could go on but will stop with this. We are losing our moral compass in this country and what we see going on around us is the results. Qik someone like you will never ever be mistaken for one of them. I know the other old farts around here will same the same thing, it takes about 5 seconds to figure if a young person is a harder worker with strong shoulders or a slacker. It would appear you are the former not latter

At least your taste in cars is good

12. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    When I was in school the old lady teachers in print dresses and black orthopedic oxfords, their hair in a bun, carried knuckle stained metric rulers and there was no such thing as back talk or late assignments. I place the total blame for the breakdown in classroom decorum at the feet of the very first school board that didn't have the courage to face down a whinging parent and opened the flood gates to parental second guessing.

13. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    It will be the first presidential campaign run from their parents basement.

14. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    When I went to HS the teachers could whack you with a paddle that had holes in it (kinda like White Castle patty), left an interesting pattern on yur back side...
    Today, they pull that stunt, the teacher will get jail time...
    I so miss the old days...
    [​IMG]

15. vetsvette

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    That all went away about the time they did away with Industrial Arts. That's where my love affair with power tools began. Too much liability to let students run a lathe, milling machine, or bandsaw these days. I learned stuff in metal shop and wood shop that served me for the next 50 years. Hell, even our school busses were driven by students in the Distributive Education program. Couldn't picture that happening today...

16. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I agree about the music. The mainstream(as well as underground) was better than the 90's-today. I stay embedded in my metal ways. As far as the schools, I concur. It used to be at least when I was going thru school, that you did NOT sass the teacher or your parents. It wasn't till I moved to southern WI from upper MI that I ran into students with 0 respect for the leadership at school and home. Some kids would swear at teachers and parents, and really the teachers couldn't do nothing. The parents could, but if the child was talking back and cursing at them I knew there was no respect at home either. Comes down to discipline. It needs to start early. Very early. Like training a puppy :) slap them on the snout if they nip you and you'll be ok :cornut:

17. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    My class (01') was the last to get a Tech Ed class. The students under us were too delicate, or their parents thought they were. I think where the end of that came was when the class sizes blew up and there was far more students for the teacher and helper to keep up with. Students fault? No. Parents fault? Partially, they had the litter, but no, not really their fault. Comes down to the state govt.(unless you're in a well to do county or private school) Which in many cases has dropped the ball but that's a WHOLE different topic :mad2:
    Also, Friskie, you hit the nail on the head. Once the parents started second guessing and blaming teachers for their childs wrong doings it was all down hill. I'm sure there was cases in which the teachers were in fact in the wrong... But, I'm sure it was more so that the kid was just a f up.

18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Slackers breed slackers.

My parents kicked my A$$ if I was not respectful to Elders, Policeman, Teachers and anyone with authority.

19. vetsvette

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    #19 vetsvette, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    I blame a lot of it on the teachers unions. Too many of them have their own agenda's instead of teaching the three R's. And don't even bring up history (world or US). It seems they are being re-written daily to meet a PC point of view. My Grandson, who was in the 2nd grade at the time, informed me last year that President Obama was the father of our country. I asked him where the hell he heard that and he told me his teacher taught it to his class. I showed him the error of his ways and contacted the school about it. Some parts of history can't be re-written to satisfy a personal agenda. I'm tired of people trying to make me, and by extension, my kids and grandkids feel that being from the South is something to be ashamed of! But, it happens more and more each day. :mad2:

Rant off.

20. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Mine too, big time.