Let me tell you, when I was a kid...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rkw, May 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  2. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Well yeah, didn't everyone? I only had to do that when the Lambo wouldn't start.

3. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    My story isn't nearly as dramatic. In the 6th grade I was assigned the winter job of getting to school a half hour early to get the pot bellied, coal stove going. (for real) Also the term 'school bus' wasn't in the dictionary yet!
    :biggrin5:

4. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Well in the old days I had to ride the damn school bus 20 miles to get to school and that was in California in the 50s. :)

5. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I grew up listening to my dad tell stories about how he walked six miles, barefoot, to school. Uphill both ways.
    When we finally went to England to visit my grandparents, I saw that he lived in town, six blocks from his school!

6. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    When I was a kid, 2 bits was a piece of magic. It could get me a hair cut in a real barber shop. Waiting my turn listening to the old guys talking cow/calf, feeders and stockers and most important, rainfall, was an education in itself.
    Also, that 2 bits could gain admittance to a Saturday matinee double feature with cartoon and newsreel, a box of popcorn and a soda.

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #7 Metalman, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
    When I was a youngin, I would get up for school with my dad and ride into the Army base real early.... We would eat breakfast in the base canteen... I would have to wait until school started which was in a cold Quonset hut until they got the heater going... The class was quite small... Maybe 8 other Army brats.... Bussac France 1959.... My dad's first tour of duty for 3 years..... Second tour of duty was back to France again, that time it was three years in Poitiers France... My sister was born in the Châteauroux, France Air force base. Then my Dad was stationed in Seoul South Korea, we couldn't go with him then. So mom, my sister and I when to live in Denmark with my grandparents for three years. Went to a Danish school then... Then back to the US in my early teenage years... We did an awful lot of traveling during my early years when my dad was in the Army... I was very fortunate to have experienced it all growing up...:Thumbsup:

The strangest part.... Many years later, when I finally got married.... Turns out my wife was born at the Châteauroux air base as well, in the same time period as when my sister was born... Weird....:crazy:

8. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I actually enjoyed walking to and from school with my friends when I was a kid in Pittsburgh. It was about two miles, with a lot of hills, but it was also a bonding experience. We had fun.

When it snowed, which it did a lot, on the walk home we would ambush drivers with snowballs at the bottom of one particular hill, knowing that if they stopped, they wouldn't get up the next hill. Most drivers were cool about it -- it's just some snowballs. We could outrun the ones that stopped. :wink:

Seems like most parents these days are just too paranoid to let their kids walk to school, even if it five blocks away. The same dangers existed when I was a kid, but there wasn't 24-hour news networks and the internet to blow the dangers out of proportion, like there is today. Too bad, because their kids are missing out on some good times -- and much needed exercise.

CD

9. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    In the first grade I aspired to be a crossing guard. You got to wear a cool white canvas Sam Browne belt with a badge. Back then they trusted first and second graders to stop traffic for kids to cross in front of the school. Never made the cut though.

10. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I had completely forgotten about that, but we had the same thing when I lived in South Jersey. It was the "Safety Patrol," and the kids were called "Safeties." When we moved away from there, it was the last time I ever saw that practice.

CD

11. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    As for hardships, I remember moving to Port Arthur, Texas. The schools had NO air conditioning, and I grew up in the North. My first year there, the eighth grade, I thought I was going to die. 95 degrees and 90-percent humidity. That was pure hell on earth.

Even now, when I work down along the Gulf coast, I pull my cameras out of the air-conditioned car, and have to wait five minutes for the lenses to un-fog, and I bring lots of shirts -- about three for each day I'm down there.

CD

12. vetsvette

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Safety Patrol. That's it. Thanks for reminding me.
    As for AC, the only AC I remember before I went in service was at the movie theater. And we sure a heck didn't have it in Basic Training at Lackland AFB outside San Antonio. It was right toasty there too. Never went to a school with AC. Now, if the AC goes out, they cancel school.

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    #13 MCS02, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Gee Whiz did I stumble in to the older than dirt thread?:lol::lol: What a bunch of old farts we are.:lol::lol:

Like Metalman I spent a lot of time living over seas when I was young. In Hong Kong my brother and sister had to ride a fairy then a bus to get to school, they got to go to the American school. Not me I had to go to some private British school! When we moved back to the U.S. we went from Hong Kong to Mississippi, the nearest town was a 20 min. drive and it was a very small town.

Metalman is right it was a blessing to see the world at a young age.

14. vetsvette

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    My two kids would agree with you. They were military brats for 16 and 14 years respectively. They even have the "Challenge Coins" to prove it. :D

15. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    WHAT...I'm still a kid:D:p:Thumbsup:

16. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    That's the MINI in you...:Thumbsup:

[​IMG]

17. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Future inmate #4509245.

CD

18. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    What's it like to ride a fairy? Or a buss? :biggrin5:

CD

19. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo"]Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen - YouTube[/ame]

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've hear riding this buss can be electrifying.

[​IMG]