A request for a bit of help...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ZippyNH, Sep 15, 2016.

1. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #1 ZippyNH, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    A many of you know I have been toying with the idea of finding a classic Mini....since they can be hard to find...was thinking of enlisting the use of a 3rd party...
    locally we have
    http://www.dustyoldcars.com/
    and if you look at their website or google maps they seem Ok...
    their google ratings are 3-4 stars...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=dusty+old+cars&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS679US679&oq=dusty&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.3897j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=dusty+old+cars+google+maps&lrd=0x89e25301b692a54b:0xc0f0e43aaf4b866b,1,
    so was considering them for a way to track down a good Mini in the future....
    well...they hit the news...
    http://www.bbb.org/concord/business-reviews/auto-dealers-antique-and-classic/dustyoldcarscom-in-nashua-nh-92032240
    with both the BBB and the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office..
    http://www.unionleader.com/business/nashua-used-car-dealer-under-investigation-by-ag-20160901
    As a good car guy I posted a neural bit of info suggesting that folks should do so research before dealing with dusty old cars on google, stating that they were under investigation according to the TV, Newspapers, and has a poor rating with the BBB.
    well....the crap hit the fan...the guy calls me...
    and my wife at work...her line is unlisted...but he still got it...
    read us the riot act, saying he was gonna sue us, etc.
    Now I don't think we did anything wrong....just stated facts...
    but in the meantime I DID TAKE DOWN the post i made...which makes me feel bad cause it means in a very real way he is "winning" cause new customers from outside the area don't know their reputation, and cannot make an informed choice to deal or not deal with this company.
    The stories of Rip-offs are too numerous too list...but by being aggressive they have suppressed MOST of the bad ones, especially on Google.

Their YELP rating HAVE taken a dive
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/dusty-old-cars-derry-3 (yes they recently moved, and some info shows the old location)
    but i feel terrible that Google centric folks might not find this out.
    So if anybody has any ideas, feel free...
    I just urge you too keep it legal, as I would never suggest anybody do anything illegal or immoral.
    Hopfully the Legal thing runs it course...but anybody who messes with my wife AT WORK ON A PRIVATE NUMBER must be a scum and has no boundaries. They were even lying on the phone in the chat they had with her about the conversation that had with me...so be prepared.
    Thanks!

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Not to derail the subject of Dusty Old Cars® , but I've had good luck finding my dusty old cars via Craigslist, some guys use a search engine that can look at CL all over the states - and with the Canadian dollar being down right now if I lived way up north I'd be looking there too.

There is no substitute for doing a little research tho, and when it comes to used cars - especially old dusty ones - you have to know what you're getting into.

Unfortunately so many people expect old cars to work just like their 250,000 mile old Honda.......

3. Dennis Bratland

Dennis Bratland New Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Stay at home dad
    Ballard, Seattle
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you hear from this clown again, ask him if the company Decor My Eyes [sic] rings any bells. Or maybe they have heard of a guy named Vitaly Borker. If not, perhaps look him up. Just saying.

4. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    I'm guessing that there is an attorney in your area that offers free consultation. Under the guise of being fearful you might be sued I'd talk to one and get his recommendations on how to proceed.

5. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    if you google the dusty old cars guy's name, you get a lot of uncomplimentary hits......

6. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry to hear that your experience in chasing a classic Mini has been such a bummer thus far. That said, my humble suggestion is to check the Mini Mania website and follow their listings. They cover cars listed all over the Country. Or, contact Don or Dennis personally at their Mini Mania office. Alternately, I would recommend contacting Mike at Seven Enterprises, and/or Graham at Heritage Garage.

These businesses are here in California, are well established and are owned and operated by some of the best and most reputable Mini folks there are. If you have an idea of exactly what you're looking for in a Classic Mini, any of these guys will be able to guide you towards your prize.

Hope this helps you out and I'd love to see your score after it's been found. All the best!

7. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    If I had grounds to sue someone, I wouldn't call them, I'd call my lawyer. I'm guessing this guy is a common bully, doing what bullies do.

I agree with whaap. If you want some peace of mind, talk to a lawyer. An ethical lawyer will not charge you for a consultation. They will only charge you if their services are actually needed.

CD

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    I believe I would call the lawyer for advice the the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office. I was getting legal advice once and was told by the lawyer never to tell some one that you would sue them because this can be taken as a threat. I am sure each state is different and I am in no way giving legal advice but I would not put up with that going on.

Good luck on the search.

9. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    As of now, I am just waiting....smug in knowing they spent $$ and time to track us down...reality is there is a few similar posts...so 99% sure he is just a talker. Letting dead dogs lie....letting others fight the good fight....
    Would have been convient having a local place with connections to get photos of cars, inspections and transportation...might have been worth a couple $, but I guess crooks are around .
    Perhaps threads like this might get indexed, and appear in searches as a warning...
    I would make my day if his Google reviews were to reflect the yelp reviews....the good one are all came I'm pretty sure...with people posting a SINGLE review for their lifetime Google review, sometimes a second one....just dishonest to the core....lots of folks have fake Google accounts...and I guess the review themselves.
    It just appears to be a effort to keep one source of reviews/customers near perfect by bullying bad reviews and facts off...
    I guess secondary sites like yelp must offer more user protections...make make me change the sites I use both give reviews and check things out...
    Kinda a shame..being a Google-guide I get a huge bucket of free storage and early access to beta programs...

10. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Well, that d-bag at http://www.dustyoldcars.com/ would be foolish to mess with the hooligans at Motoring Alliance. http://www.dustyoldcars.com/ wouldn't stand a chance against us rabble-rousers here at Motoring Alliance. We would give that guy at http://www.dustyoldcars.com/ a smackdown he'll never forget. :mad5:

If it gets really serious, we'll sick Dave.0 on him. :eek6:

CD :devil:

11. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    They have a 2004 Cooper with 163,000 miles "marked down" to $9K......:crazy:

12. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #12 ZippyNH, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Sue over a negative review? NH1 News Investigates Dusty Old Cars of Nashua

http://www.nh1.com/news/sue-over-a-negative-review-nh1-news-investigates-dusty-old-cars-of-nashua/
    Most recent TV news report...
    The saga goes on....
    More car folks ripped off... threatened with lawsuits....

13. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    If they have over 50 active complaints against this company why the hell can't they shut them down?

14. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #14 ZippyNH, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    It appears that most of the "rip-off" car deals are done as consignment deals...so the dealer does not use their used-car dealer licence....so that complicates things...maybe it makes it a "civil" contracts matter? Not sure...but the clause that you cannot say anything bad about them in all contracts is also a huge issue....
    Then add to the fact they threaten you with several thousand dollars in legal issues to get a similar amount of $$ from them and does similar things when folks post reviews....and they limp along...as a multi state scam...ripping off folks in a large area.

15. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0

16. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Yeah....had TWO I kept too 273k (within a few thousand for both, lol) and sold.... interior was done... mostly the seats, and the exterior rust was just going beyong the easy diy fix stuff...
    I think very late 80's and early 90's were "PEAK" JAPANESE quality.....they would run forever if the oil was full, and the tank had gas....