The Grand Tour

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by B.A.D., Nov 17, 2016.

1. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    What did you think of episode 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Not bad. The first part of the show I felt like they were trying a bit too hard but that won't likely last. If I didn't already have Amazon Prime and had to pay for every show I don't know whether that first episode was enough to convince me to pay for more. On the other hand, I was losing interest in TG before those three left so my opinion may be quite a bit atypical.....

3. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I'm basically with Steve. Too much of what I didn't like about the later seasons of Top Gear, and not enough "new."

I also have to say that they spent WAY to much time drifting the P1, 918 and LaFerrari.

Also, too much Jeremy Clarkson. It seemed like Richard and James were sidekicks -- and Clarkson is still a tool. BTW, if he makes any jokes about about Americans being fat on this new show, someone needs to hit him with a two-by-four. He's about one cheeseburger -- or one order of fish and chips -- away from a heart attack.

CD

4. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    The in studio portion was painful to watch in my opinion.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I watched and enjoyed the entire show. No stupid commercials and a little poo. :lol:

Thank god they are back.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    I thought it didn't start till the 18th. I will have to watch it tomorrow.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I think it was supposed to be Fri but I saw a notification earlier today (or was it yesterday?) that the first episode would be up early.

8. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    It was suppose to be available at 12:01 am GMT, but was up a little sooner than that.

I'm sure the next episode will be better for me. I had just watched The Chris Harris On Cars episode with the Holy Trinity earlier this week and found it much better than what they did on TGT. I will say that the cinematography is brilliant on the new show and the chemistry between the old buffoons is top notch.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Was fun to watch. Nothing earth shattering, yet. I do think they need a few shows under their belt to get back into the swing of things.

10. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    It was exactly what I expected. So I enjoyed it quite a bit. :Thumbsup:

Also, I really, really, really love that McLaren.

11. Mini_Dirk

Mini_Dirk New Member

Oct 3, 2016
    IT Dork
    Shorewood, MN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was impressed, quite frankly. I was also growing a little tired of the TG schtick (this may be a result of having binged on 10+ seasons in the run-up to Grand Tour) of the cheap-car challenges, bashing into each other's cars, etc. I thought they did a nice, if slightly goofy, job of "killing" the star in the reasonably priced car while still maintaining ownership of that notion. And, I though handing the cars over to the "Same Racing Driver" who talks incessantly was a brilliant nod to their old racket. Like most shows, I imagine they'll tighten up the stuff that works and curtail some of the stuff that doesn't during the first few episodes, so I'm exited to see how things continue.

Dirk

12. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    So, does anyone else think there was too much "gratuitous" drifting? We all know that getting sideways in the turns is the slowest way around a race track. So all those power slides are nothing but eye-candy. And sure, candy is nice, but you wouldn't make a meal of it.

The only part of the "holy trinity" segments I enjoyed was when they did the fast laps at the end of the show. THAT is what those cars were made to do. You can do a better drift in a garage-modded 1996 Nissan 240SX. Why drag million-dollar supercars into that world?

CD

13. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Pointless drifting entertains a lot of people these days. Not me, but many, for some reason. Yep, I wanted to fast forward through all that. I rolled my eyes as soon as Clarkson described "Your Name Here corner" as "designed so a car can do this" and knew what was coming before they switched to the drifting 488.

I had similar thoughts re the trinity "You're hooning halo cars! I want to see them going fast and racing. Stop wasting time and get on with it!"

Guess I'm not a perfect fit in the current high end car show target demographic.

14. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I'm disappointed they didn't do anything with those Mustangs they were driving early on. Looked to me like they were all different so they were planning to compare and contrast (and complain), then nothing. Maybe a future segment.

The blue one Clarkson was driving said Rocket on the back. Does that make sense to anyone?

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  16. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    The Sniff Petrol guy is a writer or an editor (?) for GT and he did a live tweet-along during a screening in a theater somewhere today.

Typical dry British humor Sniff Petrol stuff, not bad. My favorite bits:

17. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Now that GT is on Amazon the BBC can kiss any TG viewers goodbye.

18. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Why? You have to have Prime to see the new show, otherwise you have to pay to see it......TG is still on the Beeb, which you can see if you have cable or some other service.....

19. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    That's the whole point! It could have ended up at Netflix, Showtime or HBO instead (I'm sure they considered it). These companies are trying to build up exclusive content to attract and retain subscribers. Amazon was particularly interested to promote Prime Video as a perk of Prime membership.

20. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I did the free trial of Prime, and of course, forgot to cancel it, so I have it for a year.

Talk about a waste of money -- the last thing I bought from Amazon wasn't covered by Prime's free shipping, so on top of the money I spent on Prime, I had to pay shipping.

But, I do have access to a lot of shows I don't want to watch -- on my computer or iPhone. WooHoo!

I'll give The Grand Tour a chance, or as they say, give them some rope. If they keep drifting million-dollar supercars, I'm out.

And, yes, their new test track blows.

CD