Ethereal Spirits - Mellow Time

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Metalman, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    OK gang, post up your favorites.... No beer here....

One of my favorites....
    Laphroaig 10yr Single Malt Scotch Wiskey

It has a truly wonderful smokey flavor from roasting the grain with smoldering peat harvested from the local bogs. A sip of this on a cold winters night will really warm you up.

[​IMG]

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Looks like there aren't a lot of imbibers here.....

Unfortunately, I never acquired the taste for alcohol of any kind.

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Well besides what we can't mention in this thread, I like Tequila, and it takes no arm twisting for me to partake even in poorly made Mojitos.

Mark

4. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    I will raise a wee dram to this effort. Slainte mhor.

[Guess I'd better identify that of which I speak as other spirits have herein been broached. Whisky is my choice, neat or rarely over ice.]

I've not found one I don't like and would have to harm myself if forced to choose a favorite as each has it's own place in the daily routines of life. A small handful whose reputation preceeds will remain untouched however.

There is also a growing stable of small batch bourbons in my closet as well. A couple of newly discovered treats are Buffalo Trace and Bulleit.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'm not one that partakes of the drink often meaning that when that rare event does happen I seek quality. For me it is rum that slakes my thirst and I've sampled many. The one I turn to again and is Mt. Gay from Barbados. It's not a clear nor a dark rum but more of a rich honey color. I like it best with tonic and a wedge of lime. I find that when away from the sailing hubs such as Annapolis MD or Newport RI or outside of the Islands it is a difficult item to find.

6. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    I just happen to have a partial bottle of Eclipse I rescued from my dad's estate. I've replaced that particular one a couple of times. I find it to be very pleasant and again, I like it neat. It's something I might turn to when the fellow behind the desk says "And now, for something completely different". There is also a jug of Myer's dark for that rare hot toddy.

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I must say I am very fond of bourbon, but being a Virginian that is not unusual. Been known to have a Manhattan or two before dinner, make that every night, but I do enjoy it neat. One of the best sippen bourbons I've found is......

[​IMG]

Jim

8. Mini'mon

Mini'mon New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    MINI Performance Parts Designer
    San Francisco, CA
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Just had some of this last month. One of the folks that owns the apartment above ours is Scottish. She describes the flavor as "peat-ey." I too like the smokiness of this whiskey. :cornut:

9. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +664 / 0 / -0
    I had a chance to sample a glass of Johnnie Walker Blue Label this winter..

[​IMG]

It tasted like whisky to me..

10. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Even if you're the type who says "Scotch is Scotch, they all taste the same" I guarantee you'll change your tune of you try Laphroaig! Very interesting stuff. It's so different in taste from any other Scotch I've tried that I sometimes feel like it deserves its own category. Too expensive for me though and the other versions -- older, cask strength, etc -- are even pricier. On the other hand, that's another way Laphroaig is different, you can actually taste the difference between the "special" versions! I had some of the 30-year old stuff once and fell in love. If the price was reasonable it might even take over favorite status (currently held by Bourbon).

11. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    I just edited out a smart a$$ remark which was meant in fun but may not have been taken as such, so...I'm really looking forward to this thread being a great source of ideas for some new barrels to explore.

12. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Well, like Jim, I'm fond of bourbon. In fact, I drink almost no other spirits these days unless I'm mixing. You mentioned Bulleit. Good choice, I've killed a couple bottles. Others I've enjoyed about as much as Bulleit include Knob Creek, Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve. There are others but I'm racking my brain for names and pulling a blank at the moment.

"Connoisseurs" will cringe at this but I actually drink more Jim Beam than all others combined. Yes, I can taste the differences between bourbons, and I like Jim Beam...and Maker's... I just saw "Maker's 46" on the shelf yesterday and I'm thinking of trying it one day.

13. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    So does Laphroaig not taste like dirty gym socks and vomit? Because all the scotch I've ever tried does. J's fav-o-rite distilled beverage is 3 Olives cherry vodka. Me, I prefer Crater Lake Gin - small batch local distillery. But G&Ts are really a Summer drink and mostly I'd rather have wine :yesnod:
    My Mom likes Whiskey River bourbon neat.

14. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    #14 Friskie, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
    Gotta respond: I thought tequila tased like dirty gym socks smelled. Thats all my sister had on hand after I made a 6 hour drive to see her and really wanted a stiff snort to shake off the road (pre-MINI). That was my one and thankfully only encounter with the stuff.

I have a jug of Bulleit, Knob Creek, Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve on hand plus an autographed bottle of Bulleit by Tim his self. When someone wants something mixed I'll pull out the Wellers. There's also an Elijah Craig a little harsh I think and Elmer T Lee not terribly remarkable. I picked those 2 up on a whim. I'll henceforth keep my whimsy under tighter rein.

A jug of Beam has nothing to be ashamed of. Its a good well rounded every day drink. I was surprised to enjoy an Old Crow as a well drink in a hotel bar somewhere once and wouldn't turn my nose up if it were offered again.

Anyone have or seen a copy of Jim Murray's Whisky Bible? So many choices, so little time.

Well Rufus, pass me the fool jug...

15. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I can taste the difference in them too. I have tried Woodford Reserve and could not get past the first glass. I have friends who really like it, but for some reason I did not. Evan Williams Reserve is very nice with ice. When mixing I use Virginia Gentleman.

Jim

16. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    Because I am a Bermuda native, in the summers I normally have plenty of this on hand

[​IMG]

I love dark and stormys.

For the colder months, Makers Mark red top on two rocks, or Tall Blonde Lady Vodka.

17. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Ummm, no Laphroaig for Rae! We all seem to taste things a bit differently than others. I've never thought scotch tasted like dirty gym socks and vomit :lol: but then I've never found a gin I like.

I've heard of that gin you mentioned. Is it sold outside the distillery? I ask because you say it's small batch plus I've never seen it anywhere. My favorite wine of all time (Charles Krug Gray Riesling) was in limited production and only available at the winery in Napa -- no distribution, no shipping -- by the time we found it.

18. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Having never tasted dirty gym socks & vomit I can't make a good comparison, but good scotch is very smooth.

I am not much of a wine drinker and therefore know little about. The only wine I really liked was "Annie Greensprings Apricot Splash", but I don't think they make it anymore. :frown2:

Jim

19. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    If you have never tried this one, don't let the name make you think it is cheap boozes. It has been around a very long time and was originally sold only in states below the Mason & Dixon Line and west only as far as Texas. I believe you can buy it anywhere now. This is very good bourbon.

[​IMG]

Jim

20. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    There was a pic of Rebel Yell there ^ but I guess the link is broken.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the recommendation, I tried it, I like it! It's now a toss-up whether I buy Jim Beam or Rebel Yell as my regular Bourbon, depends on what I'm in the mood for. Just have to try not to let Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell" creep in when I think of it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvxLRwZEx1c]Billy Idol - "Rebel Yell - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D