C'etait un Rendez-vous

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by nabeshin, Oct 15, 2009.

1. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just watched this famous short film again recently. Thought I'd share it for anyone who hasn't seen this yet.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_2hTEfuo-8"]YouTube - Ferrari 275 GTB em alta velocidade em Paris - C'etait un Rendez vous[/ame]

It's one of the coolest car videos around.

I'd like to believe it was a real Ferrari 275 GTB making the run. However, it is claimed by Lelouch, the film's maker, that the sounds are from his Ferrari 275 GTB, dubbed in later

Ferrari 275 GTB:
    [​IMG]

and that it was filmed with Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9 with a camera mounted on the hood.

Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9:
    [​IMG]

In fact, he was probably trying to cover his bases by telling this to the authorities after he was arrested following the initial screening of the film.

It is apparent that the camera is mounted much lower then claimed. The audio is too well timed to the action for the sounds to be dubbed later, and the heavy Mercedes wouldn't have been capable of the handling feats performed in the film. The engine sounds also change dynamically with the car's surroundings.

Either way, it's an impressive piece of driving, despite showing no regard for others.

2. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It is a great film either way. The controvery between whether it's dubbed with the film sped up on a Mercedes or an actual Ferrari is one of the great debates. People have pointed out places where the car sounds like it's accelerating but the vehicle is actually decelerating and other things in the film moving too quickly to support the Mercedes theory. Personally, I just enjoy the film for it's automotive and artistic value.
    Another great one is Climb Dance:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-K1B4sTX4o&feature=related"]YouTube - Climb Dance (High Quality)[/ame]

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Here is a cool link that mashes up the film with a google map.

I am not going to get into the whole what was driven thing as there has never been any definitive proof of what was used.....but count the number of shifts in some sequences and you can tell the audio was not recorded at the same time.