In-car electronics to become as valuable as horsepower?

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Nathan, May 26, 2015.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Things are really changing for the driving enthusiast...

From Automotive News

FRANKFURT (Bloomberg) -- Audi AG expects that electronics and digital features will become just as important as sheer horsepower for global automakers as they brace for a fundamental industry shift and new competitors and potential allies emerge.

“By 2020, 50 percent of value creation will be based on apps, software, electronic systems and digital services,†and opportunities are “endless,†Luca de Meo, Audi’s sales chief, said Sunday in the text of a speech prepared for the Consumer Electronics Show in Shanghai. “This will totally change our industry and our offering.â€

Audi said last week that it’s open to other carmakers joining a group bidding for Nokia Oyj’s HERE digital-map division in competition with technology companies. The auto industry has been grappling with how to integrate electronic functions such as in-car connectivity and automated driving.

Volkswagen AG, Audi’s owner, set up a task force last year to speed up adaptation of technology in new models. VW said Friday that its Car-Net system will package applications for on-board use of drivers’ smartphones or tablets operating on Google Inc.’s Android Auto software or Apple Inc.’s CarPlay and including voice recognition.

At the electronics show, Audi is offering a 5-mile piloted drive in an Audi A7 sedan from the Shanghai Expo area to the city’s Bund riverside district to showcase the technology. Audi is also presenting new connectivity features developed together with Baidu Inc., and tablet computers from its revamped Q7 sport utility vehicle that customers can operate by gesture.

“Never before in nearly 130 years of automotive history has our industry changed as fast and as completely as now: How we engineer our cars, how we produce them, how we present a new model, where we sell it, who we sell our cars to and who we work with in the future,†Audi CEO Rupert Stadler said in Shanghai.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150526/OEM06/150529909/audi-expects-in-car-electronics-to-become-as-valuable-as-horsepower?cciid=email-autonews-daily

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Yep, all that new tech, that'll be easy to modify....Cheap I'm sure too.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I am getting to old to buy any of these new cars.........:(

4. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I remember several years back when Honda first brought out the CRZ. I had owned a CRX that I really loved and with enthusiasm ran to the dealership to try out the new CRZ thinking it would take me back 'to the good old days'. What a let down! I miss the days when you bought a car and your choice of options consisted of a radio, white walls or full hub caps.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I'm a gadget nut and even I don't like all the junk they are stuffing in cars.

I am on an email list, yes its been around that long, for old Indians. Right now they talking about what the plugs look like and the color of the exhaust pipes to help a guy fix his Carb. Its kind of refreshing. Hi-tech on the list is whether to convert from 6v to 12v

6. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    The 'good old days' for me were air-cooled VW's. NO COMPUTERS!! I could tune it myself, I could fix it on the side of the road. I traveled far and wide. That's why they were the good old days...I was young enough to enjoy the busted knuckles, dirt in the eyes, and laying on my back.

Not so much anymore at my age...

7. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    With the Megasquirt3 in my turbo Miata, I can tune any aspect of the engine management on the fly, or use the programming to have it tune its VE map itself while I drive. No need to pull over and twiddle a jet or float. Same result, different tools to do the job.

The article Nathan posted reminds me of the current state of Tesla; a big part of their value is in the software. The P85D owners were geeked (and much YouTube videos resulted) when they got "Insane" launch mode, which was a software update.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It's funny how everybody wants all the software and tech stuff but everyone hates the Nissan GTR for being the King of tech.

With all that tech dome right anything can be made fast even a Big Brick from Japan.

9. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    #9 fishmonger, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    A self driving Google coupe will be the car of choice by 2020. People will realize they have no more time to drive, because they have to make sure they post a few more 'likes' on facebook before they get to work.

On the upside - excuses like "sorry officer, but I think I caught some sort of malware at a rogue gas station's wireless that took over my ECU. I wasn't really in control when you saw my car run the red light" will be common. And when self-driving cars really neuter the driver's role, the term "blue screen of death" will take on a whole new meaning...

I work in technology and see things moving more and more towards "geared for dumb users" as being more important than advancing the human race through excellence. Dumbing **** down to make it usable for complete morons is the next phase of the electronic revolution of our lives, and it won't be pretty. We are all assumed to be idiots until proven otherwise. Systems like seat belt chimes or air bag warning lights that annoy us right now are not even the tip of the iceberg. Over time we will make sure our gene pool will be unable to cleanse itself by making our world completely safe for those who traditionally would have thinned themselves from the herd.

What everyone is missing is that life gets really boring without risk. I drove a Toyota Tundra Crewmax battle tank for a few years to protect my kids from the forces of stupid around me, but in spite of being the safest place in traffic, it pretty much ate my automotive soul with its blandness and living room-esque driving experience. DVD screens in the back, GPS, backup cameras to prevent you from killing your neighbor's dumb poodle, idiot lights for almost anything you can imagine. I had to break free. I bought a Mini (and towed it home with the Tundra..., yeah, I know... but it is for sale now to buy another Mini ;-))

Like this **** on facebook. Vote up this thread of the day, post your review of the product you just bought on Amazon, rate this seller, feel important because some robotic corporate retail engine wants your valued input. It gives you some placebo recognition in the faceless crowd, just for a moment, but it can be addictive if you truly are a loser and live in your mom's basement. You want more of that crap in your car? Must get peer recognition or your empty life has been wasted on lonely twisty roads using your primal reflexes to thrash a machine that makes noise and smells, but has no touch screens? OK, so there could be worse things than that.

Went shopping in the Mini last night, saw a great low sun and rising moon on the other end of the sky. My 4 mile trip to the store became a 40 mile run, only slowed down by the smell of a possibly slipping super charger belt. No electronics in the car were needed to diagnose that it's time to order some more maintenance parts for my Mini, and I won't be rating any vendors or posting any box opening videos on youtube. Life is too short for social media and gimmicks in my car. Too bad the majority of the car buying public is more interested in fads than what really matters in the real world around them.

Audi will sell a lot of cars in the future, but none to me. I almost bought one of their V8 S4Avants a few weeks ago, but then used the interwebs to learn that the engines in those things are freaking time bombs with timing chains shoved under the firewall. A $8k maintenance job when the lifetime tensioner lets go around 130k miles. Maybe they should spend more time on building better machines rather than impress me with a wifi hotspot in the trunk or whatever they may be thinking of for 2020. Perhaps they have better demographic numbers - there must be a lot of dimwits who can afford a $60k sedan that has a lackluster engine but sports desirable top flight internet connectivity, than potential buyers who have enough gray cells in their skulls to judge a car's value by what its purpose is...

Trust me, those Audi engineers are not really thinking of adding electronic suspension and ride height controls to their entry level cars. The electronics they are talking about are self-parking, self driving, self everything so you, the operator, are free to take some selfies on the Dragon.

I better lay off the caffeine :D

and here's what Audi must have been watching: https://vimeo.com/79695097

10. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I'm a gadget guy and a technophile, but honestly beyond the ability to play music from my phone and use its GPS, I don't care about any of the gizmos in the car.

Give me an Aux-In, a mounting place, and a power source. Beyond that I just want the basics; speedo, tach, fuel, and the ability to install any other gauges I feel like.

11. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    The GT-R is a brilliant machine. "All that tech" is better said as "fantastic powertrain, excellent suspension kinematics, brilliant torque vectoring, and great brakes". On the macro it's not any more complicated than that.

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I agree with that, but let's break that down:

Powertrain, suspension, brakes. All mechanical. All fantastic. On paper looks great. Too much for the average human to drive without help.

Torqu Vectoring: Electrical Nanny, what the thread is all about. The part that prevents you from doing something stupid. What disconnects the driver from the said superior mechanical parts.

The GT-R is a great car, as is the new 'vette. I was seriously tempted to buy a new Corvette, until I talked to someone who told me it's insanely easy to turn fast laps in, the car prevents you from going over the limits, to the point that lap after lap it gets boring after awhile. That's great if you want to drive a car fast with minimum fuss and bother, it'll make virtually any driver look good, but it's not what I want. I want it as much as possible on my shoulders--the good laps are mine, and the bad laps, I have to own those too.

These cars have gotten so powerful, you need the nannies to control them. I'd rather have a less powerful car that I've got full control of, for better or worse.

13. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    I see what you're saying. I just have a problem with the dismissive condescension e.g. "nanny". McLaren threw a hissy fit in 1993 Formula 1 when Williams had active suspension, because it was within the rules, yet was way quicker around the track. The cars were quicker regardless of the driver.

If the point is the cars aren't as "pure" because they're quicker regardless of the driver, then of course that's a genuine point, albeit a hopeless ideal that's totally deaf to the stopwatch.

There was an advertisement Bosch put in print years ago advertising for ABS. It had a picture of 4 brake pedals, and the by line was something to the effect of "if you can use all 4 at once, then you're just as good as our ABS system". That extends to CBC and EBD. We only have two feet and most of use can't competently use 3 pedals at once. Hell there are tons of YouTube videos of grey-hairs getting even one pedal all wrong (mistaking brake for throttle).

Somehow I doubt you were ever that serious about the new Corvette. One person's opinion driving your purchase decision? Not likely. Now, just admitting that you're not ready for the mandatory embroidered jacket? That's understandable. Surely if you're serious about what you just wrote, you'd have an Elise or Caterham or air-cooled 911. Those aren't easy to drive and you earn every bit of pace. For those that want to do an HPDE and simply crush the stopwatch without giving up a shred of luxurious air conditioned comfort, none of those are good options, however a new Z06 Stingray or GT-R are excellent options.

So, dare we say, different strokes for different folks? I'm not sure if the "nannies" are anything more than bench-racing ideals for people to complain about, as how they're actually implemented is going to be market-specific and have nothing to do with ideals apart from making money.

14. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I was serious about the 'vette, my wife actually was pushing me toward it. It is a beautiful car, and the looks got me hooked...You're right, it wasn't just one person's decision, it came down to a number of things--I've spent so much time in the MINI world, it was not easy to give it up. But the truth is, it's not what I enjoy on the track at the end of the day. I'm Calvin, I want to piss people off passing them in my little MINI. I wouldn't have nearly the fun doing it in anything else short of a Lotus.

I took a LONG look at Lotus's, and I would have seriously considered buying yours (I followed the Lotus forums too), I seriously thought about an Exige S240. But, they're not exactly easy to work on, not sure what part availability will be in the U.S. with Lotus's outlook seemingly changing on a daily basis--they don't fit on my lift without serious modification, and there's no one around here I trust to fix it if there's an issue. Still, it was the closest I came to selling the MINI. The driving experience is the only one that I can honestly say is more enjoyable to me than the MINI.

Caterham, and Porsche, never really considered. Had the Alfa 4 C Spyder been coming out this year, I might have gone for that, but it looks like at least 18 months, probably longer. And they're already having tranny issues with those.

I'll never argue the "nannies" aren't faster, they certainly are, they do things the average person simply cannot do--and I agree with you wholeheartedly--if you want to crush the stopwatch easily, and in comfort, a 'vette is hard to beat. But that's not what floats my boat. Just my personal preference, I recognize I'm in the minority.

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ Yes this is how I see things in my little part of the world. :yesnod:

To this I'll add, if all those nanny's are so great why do folks still crash their cars?

16. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Phones.

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The intent of the article was not all the "nannies" but of the telematics that are now so prevalent.

Stuff like Android Auto and Apple Car Play, where the focus is on the non-driving part of the automotive experience.

18. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    If a thread hasn't had it's identity changed by page two, we haven't tried hard enough.

19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Trouble is all the of the (non-driving telematics) are incorporated in peoples driving making their driving a lower caliber. Maybe a nanny that shuts that carp off when the car is moving?

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    In aviation as companies told pilots to rely on automation more, the accident rate went up. What was found is that when there is an over reliance on automation critical skills are lost. Now we use all levels of automation, including turning it all off and hand flying.
    Automation is good but the operator must poses the skills to take over the automation can not keep up.

What worries me is that we are dumbing down the driving public. They are, by in large, dumb enough. What is need is real driver training.