Get Ready For The New Crop Of Autonomous Cars...

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Metalman, May 4, 2016.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #1 Metalman, May 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
    They have all the nannies employed.....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrPeC1ez-M4"]Google's Self-Driving Car in GTAV - YouTube[/ame]

2. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Possibly the wrong thread, buddy. This really fits in the millennial discussion aimed at abrogating responsibility for anything that could possibly go wrong...see Murphy's law.
    We've got a Governor right now standing in a deep hole leaning on a worn out shovel blaming the predicament on everybody else.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I hope one of the new Nannies keeps all minivans and SUV's in the right hand lane.

4. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    This will be the beginning of our transportation downfall... Maybe it's already started and this will push it over the brink...
    At some point the rider will completely lose the ability to operate a motor vehicle...
    Imagine the first blackout started from our feeble power grid that shuts down all communication during rush hour traffic...
    I'll be one of the few still driving my 2009 completely "manual" MINI in a sea of helpless autonomous pods with freaked out occupants.... I'll be what will be called "Going Rogue", and lovin it..... :D

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^ Yup, cant wait.

6. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    Waiting for the first incident resulting in injury or worse that can be attributed to failure of the autonomous control or from a programming error and then the subsequent mandatory 'Do not operate the vehicle' order and/or recall.

Sent using Tapatalk

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Google, Fiat ink deal to make 100 self-driving minivans

Google and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles said Tuesday they will collaborate to combine the tech giant’s self-driving car technology into 100 Pacifica minivans, giving the automaker a high-profile partner that could help it catch up to competitors.

For Google, the vehicles will be used to turbocharge its 7-year-old autonomous car program. For FCA, the agreement provides a technological crash course in what it takes to transform a standard vehicle into an autonomous one.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2016/05/03/google-fiat-chrysler-fca-self-driving-cars-chrysler-pacifica/83891878/

8. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    What this? They got their hands on the last 100 wanted mini vans ever to be produced. Or perhaps some one said: please take them :biggrin5:

9. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I've been to a lot of factories that had autonomous vehicles at the same time as driven vehicles. They didn't last very long.

The Cali law past recently says that if one is in a wreck the manufacturer is responsible. So here is one of big rich google's cars one the road and I need a new car or even just some work done. Stop fast in front of it, pull out in front of it, your choice, google pays. You know it will happen. Lawyers will have a field day making money on it.

10. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Unless Google adds cameras to all their vehicles (and you know they will).... If they can show the wreck wasn't caused by them their attorneys will get involved and fight it... Hell, they will make use of all those autonomous cars with 360 cameras to automatically update Google maps / Street view in real time....

And eliminate the expense of these guys.... You will be workin for Google on your way to pick up milk and a loaf of bread...

[​IMG]

11. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Autonomous cars are packed with 360° cameras and sensors. It's a big part of how they work.

Google autonomous cars have logged over 1 million miles on public roads and been involved in a couple of dozen accidents (one at-fault). Of course, liability has been a big topic of discussion: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/03/google-self-driving-car-crash/471678/

12. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  13. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I can't wait! So sick of always needing a DD :beer

14. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Artificial intelligence like they are using on these cars learns how to drive. The programmers are not the ones making the decisions beyond the traffic laws. Who are the machines learning from? If the self driving cars are going to be so safe and they learn from us, why would they be any better drivers? I do not see them employing race car drivers. By the way no one actually understand how we drive. Lets see cars that teach themselves how to drive on the same road as people who do not drive well.