Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Home

Menu

Notices

Sponsor

» Ad Links
» Recent Threads
Go to first new post Word Association
71,143 Replies, 1,316,814 Views
Go to first new post 2017 - F1
377 Replies, 22,395 Views
Go to first new post What did you do with your MINI today?
13,875 Replies, 760,315 Views
Go to first new post Huf TPMS
0 Replies, 51 Views
Go to first new post Aloha from Maui
3 Replies, 90 Views
Go to first new post Wanted: Mark I Project Car
24 Replies, 3,098 Views
Go to first new post WRC - 2017
189 Replies, 13,425 Views
Go to first new post Rally Mini Cooper
739 Replies, 106,458 Views
Go to first new post Made One Of These Today
784 Replies, 53,305 Views
Go to first new post Comfort Access Thoughts
3 Replies, 550 Views
Advert

» Ad
Sponsors

Likes Likes:  9
Unread 09-22-2016, 08:37 PM #21
Stage 4

Likes (Given): 973
Likes (Received): 928
Stage 4

Likes (Given): 973
Likes (Received): 928
Opps....yahoo got their cars mixed up...
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-...?.tsrc=applewf
Quote:
Back YahooFINANCE Share
Is Apple Going 'Back to the Future' With McLaren?

GuruFocus.com September 22, 2016
- By Shudeep Chandrasekhar

There are two types of rumors: ones that just shock you, making you shake your head in disbelief, and ones that sound too good to be true. Rumors are flying in thick and fast about Apple (AAPL) being in talks with McLaren to buy the company. Knowing Apple's penchant for secrecy, nothing is true until Apple comes out with its own press release, but according to a Financial Times report, Apple has approached McLaren Technology Group. The company owns McLaren Automotive, who produced more than 1600 vehicles last year, resulting in $475 million in sales.

Both companies have denied the rumors. However, a potential buyout, or maybe even a potential tie-up, does make a lot of sense. McLaren sits at the top end of the luxury market, with car prices easily going well over $200,000. As a luxury brand themselves, Apple would rather start at the top of the market instead of the other way around. Apple isn't about to start selling cheap cars any more than it will think about selling a cheap iPhone.
It must be noted that Apple's Project Titan, which the company has never admitted to running, has undergone a few changes recently. After the departure of project head Steve Zadesky, Apple long-timer Bob Mansfield was brought in out of retirement to continue to project, but with major changes. The biggest change is that Apple now does not plan to develop a self-driving car . Instead, they're going to focus on the software side of self-driving technology.
That ties in perfectly with any plans to acquire or partner with McLaren, whose cars were made immortal by Robert Zemeckis' 1985 blockbuster sci-fi comedy "Back to the Future" starring Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd.
For Apple, being a new player in the automotive market would have caused huge problems, even considering the fact that they are one of the most cash rich companies in the world. Automotive manufacturing is an extremely capital-intensive business that can swiftly guzzle any amount of money that is fed into it. So it does make a lot of sense for Apple to concentrate on the technology backbone for the automotive industry, such as building the technology behind self-driving cars while allowing an experienced luxury automaker to take care of building the cars themselves.
Read More

View Comments (14)Comment Guidelines
Sign in to post a comment.
ZippyNH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2016, 08:44 PM #22
Stage 6

Likes (Given): 4122
Likes (Received): 759
Stage 6

Likes (Given): 4122
Likes (Received): 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
Opps....yahoo got their cars mixed up...
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-...?.tsrc=applewf
The plot thickens !!
00Mini is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2016, 12:18 AM #23
Stage 4

Likes (Given): 495
Likes (Received): 935
Stage 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
Apple's interest in McLaren would be likely linked to its plans to transform the automotive industry in the same way that it has changed the smartphone market.

Meaning the same way Apple completely ruined the Music business. When was the last time anyone has seen a Tower, Sam Goody or any other record / music store.

Don't get me wrong I am an Apple Supporter. I own iPads and iPhones but something's they should just stay out of like owning a car company.
Apple just did what was going to happen, eventually, with music. People were stealing music because the old model wasn't attending to the customer's wants and needs. A la carte music buying for 99 cents a song probably saved the music business.

Now, I don't get the whole self-driving car thing. It seems like an investment in mass transit would be a more efficient model for getting a whole lot of people around in an ever more crowded world. Everyone going to work, one person to a car, doesn't change anything just because the cars drive themselves.

If I had to commute to downtown everyday, I'd much rather ride light rail with wifi, while sipping my morning coffee than it in bumper-to-bumper traffic in a self driving car, wondering when it will collide with another self-driving car that isn't on the same page as mine.

CD

Last edited by caseydog; 09-23-2016 at 08:18 PM.
caseydog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes
Likes 00Mini, Qik liked this post
Unread 09-23-2016, 07:54 AM #24
Motor On!

Likes (Given): 1382
Likes (Received): 464
Apple might buy McLaren?
Motor On!

Likes (Given): 1382
Likes (Received): 464
Apple might buy McLaren?
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Now, I don't get the whole self-driving car thing. It seems like an investment in mass transit would be a more efficient model for getting a whole lot of people around in an ever more crowded world. Everyone going to work, one person to a car, doesn't change anything just because the cars drive themselves.
CD
I see what you're saying, but I think down the line if cars can communicate with say a GPS network and can see each other it's going to be far better than it is now. If traffic is coordinated by computers and not most of the population, half of which have hard time driving in the first place, it will relieve some congestion. No more *******s going slow in passing lanes and no more, "OH crap I missed my exit so let me cut across 5 lanes of traffic!".
Right now, the autopilot is in it's baby stages. I hope they come up with a good, working solution. Preferably before I start my new position downtown ATL...
Qik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2016, 08:25 AM #25
Helix & RMW Powered

Apple might buy McLaren?
Helix & RMW Powered

Apple might buy McLaren?
ATL traffic is the worst.

Esoteric Detailing Supplies http://www.esotericcarcare.com/

05 MINI JCW "The Mistress"
RMW Powered, Helix built w/ Meth
Helix: http://store.helix13.com
Greene Performance https://www.greeneperformance.com/co...formance-parts
RMW: http://www.revolutionmini.com
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes
Likes Qik, caseydog liked this post
Unread 09-23-2016, 08:25 PM #26
Stage 4

Stage 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
ATL traffic is the worst.
Every once-in-a-while we agree on something. That worries me, just a bit.

Yeah, I hate driving in Atlanta. Dallas isn't a whole lot better, but from my own personal experience, Atlanta is even worse than Los Angeles.

So, whatever happened to all of those flying cars I read about in Popular Science Magazine back in the sixties? We were supposed to have them about fifteen years ago.

CD
Unread 11-19-2016, 01:27 PM #27
Library Moderator

Likes (Given): 956
Likes (Received): 3479
Apple might buy McLaren?
Library Moderator

Likes (Given): 956
Likes (Received): 3479
Apple might buy McLaren?
The truth behind the rumors. Despite McLaren's denial, they actually did talk but no takeover offer was tabled by Apple.

I didn't know Apple looked into buying F1 until now...guess I missed that one.

Apple held talks with McLaren, but never tabled takeover bid (motorsports.nbcsports.com)
Quote:
By Luke Smith | Nov 19, 2016, 10:45 AM EST

The CEO of McLaren Automotive has confirmed that talks were held with Apple regarding a possible takeover, but that no bid was tabled by the American technology giant.

A report published by the Financial Times in September claimed that Apple was looking to take over McLaren, only for the British marque to deny that talks were ongoing.

The future of McLaren’s ownership has been subject to speculation in recent weeks following the exit of chairman Ron Dennis after 35 years amid a boardroom struggle.

Speaking to Reuters, McLaren Automotive CEO Mike Flewitt confirmed that a number of bids had been made for the company, but that Apple was not responsible for any of them.

“There have been a number of bids,” Flewitt said.

“I am comfortable with where our current shareholders are that they want to retain ownership of the company.

“They want to develop both companies. I genuinely believe they are very committed to them.

“There wasn’t a bid from Apple. They visited. We talked. We talked about what they did. We talked about what we did. They toured.

“It never matured to a definitive proposition.”

Apple previously expressed an interest in taking over Formula 1, completing due diligence ahead of a possible bid before Liberty Media struck a deal to buy the series in September.
Full article here.