Cool cars from the Classic Car Auction world...

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by caseydog, Nov 23, 2016.

1. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    A significant portion of my income as a professional photographer comes from Classic Car Auction catalog photos.

Over the years, I've had the opportunity to photograph, and sometimes drive, some pretty cool cars. I have posted a few on the MA Forum -- often not where they belong on the forum. :blush2:

So, I decided to start this thread to post up cars that I think many of you, as fellow car enthusiasts might like.

On Monday, I shot some cars in Kansas, and this one really impressed me. It is a 1966 Shelby GT350H -- the "H" stands for Hertz. Back in the day, you could rent these cars. Ford/Shelby made about 80 factory four speeds, and this is one of them. After that, they were all automatics.

This particular car was also the first one painted in Black and Gold.

This car is stellar. It goes to Auction in January in Scottsdale, offered by Worldwide Auctioneers.

CD

Attached Files:

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    One of my best friend's dad worked for Continental Airlines back then and he got one of these (automatic) for the weekend in a promotional deal, we spent the whole weekend putting as many miles on it as humanly possible!

Where in Kansas were you? If you get to KC and need someone to carry your extra film bag, let me know!

3. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I was near Wichita. The owner has some very cool cars, and a few really rare ones. All muscle cars.

CD

4. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I'm sure I posted this car someplace else, but I don't remember where. :crazy: I shot it a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, it is a really cool car, and I'm not a big sixties muscle guy. This is my favorite Corvette generation, and this car is so rare, and so well restored (someone commented on the restorer, wherever I posted it).

The image below is also from a website. It shows why I shoot auction cars the way I do, and don't go too "artsy." My photos are not the end product. I work with art directors who make the end product, so I need to give them something that will work in their layouts. My job is to make the art director's job easier.

This particular art director and I work a lot together, so I have a good feel for what he wants. In the end, it is great to see our work come together into something nice.

CD

Attached Files:

5. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Here's another Vette I shot yesterday. It is a 1966 Corvette 427/425HP roadster, black on black with a white top and black hardtop.

It goes to auction in Scottsdale in January.

CD

Attached Files:

6. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    And for the Ford fans...

Here is a 1970 Boss-Nine, AKA a Mustang Boss 429. Grabber Blue with white interior.

CD

Attached Files:

7. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Finally (for now), a little something German. A 1955 Porsche Pre-A 356 "bent window" Cabriolet. Notice the crease in the center of the windshield. Beautiful car, it should fetch good money.

I shot this yesterday at the end of a marathon work day. It was after sundown, with heavy overcast. For those who know about photography, I shot at 1600 ISO, f5, and 1/80 shutter speed.

CD

Attached Files:

8. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Yes, another Corvette. Another rare one -- only 63 were made.

This is a 1963 Corvette, Split Window, Z06, Fuelie, Tanker.

It is a split window coupe, only made in 1963, with a fuel-njected small-block, and came with a 36 gallon gas tank. It also had better brakes and suspension. It is the original Z06.

I shot it this morning.

CD

Attached Files:

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^^ Nice but I would still rather have the 1955 Porsche Pre-A 356 "bent window" Cabriolet.