New Camaro = boat of fail

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by PGT, May 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    1) Front Fascia Crack at speed
    [​IMG]

2)
    Camaro SS Recalled For Battery Cable Issue

3) 2010 Chevy Camaro Gets Mysterious Brake Weights
    [​IMG]

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I soooo want one now. My wife had a '99 SS. The paint on the B pillar started to bubble before 2 years were up. I took it back to the dealer only to have them tell me that the condition was "commercially acceptable". I remember the phrase to this day. Being confused, I asked what that meant. The service manager said that they sell cars like that from a show room floor all the time. At that time I though he was full of crap, but in light of the recent events I no longer doubt that....BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    One of my kids wants one of these SOOOO bad. And I really wanted them to be good... not because my kid has any chance in hades of getting one... but I just wanted to see this thing succeed. Meh. All the production lines will be making Volts soon, anyway, with the current management regime. That'll be a huge success. :rolleyes5:

It really does say a lot about the state of GM IMHO... that this ultra-high-profile car that has been SO anticipated for SO long could be apparently not fully baked by now. I mean.... how hard is it to find these kinds of issues in tests of the early prod line test cars? Only answer I can think of is that they didn't have the production tooling, etc. ready sufficiently early to build the test cars for sufficient test periods... because, geesh... no one would ever think you'd actually drive one *fast*... or use *brakes*... or want it to *start*....

I guess I'll have to stick with the BumbleBee prototype we have in the garage now. At least it can fix itself.

4. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Quality issues aside, I HATE this throwback design trend. The new Mustang, the Camaro and the Charger. It's like designers at the Big Three finally admit they can't design anything new, but would rather polish and modernize designs that sit at the heart of each car's legendary period.

5. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    #5 Deviant, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
    Well, the battery cable issue I can understand. Some issues just won't be caught on a new production car and GMs correcting the issue right away, no reason to get on them for that.
    The brake weights, until we know what they're exactly for, what happens if they're removed, and if they'll fall off at all with heat cycling it's a bit preemptive to hit them for that, it does looks strange though.

The front facia thing, that should've been found and resolved in wind-tunnel and pre-production testing. I can't see them making a car that can do 155mph but then break apart doing it. Possibly they were doing 155mph into 30mph winds or something which would subject the front to 185mph winds which they might not have tested for but even still it would seem like a good idea to make the car hold up to higher speeds than it's capable of going stock, just to be safe.

I'm not going to declare it full of fail yet, especially in light of some major issues with other very hyped cars in the past few years, but this isn't acceptable from GM.
    It's not the big three, VW, Fiat (are they big three now that they have Chrysler?) MINI, Toyota, Audi and even makes like Lamborghini have all used retro designs and they've been huge successes. You can't criticize manufacturers for trying to produce what sells.
    Besides, a lot of the original designs that do come out look ugly and bloated to me so maybe the best some designers can come up with is mimicking proportions that were pleasing 30 years ago.

6. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Uh... dude... you posted that on a MINI forum? :lol:

7. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    He owns an STi though so it's not nearly as hypocritical as it initially sounds :yesnod:

8. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I know... but he was a MINIac not long ago... ;)

9. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    .... so either (a) he didn't realize that what he was saying also applied to MINIs or (b) we should stone him. :devil:

10. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    No, I know exactly what you mean and can see how my comments are :eek:ut:. Let me explain. The MINI appears to be a retro design to us Americans. For other markets where it never went away, it's just the latest generation.

For the Camaro and Charger in particular, the cars have been gone from the market for 10+ years and this rebirth is based on styling from the vaunted age of muscle cars. It intentionally appeals to the 50 something who wants that '68 Camaro or '73 Cuda but can't afford the stupid prices of the originals.

With the new era MINI, I don't see it as retro....I'm probably alone in that opinion. I'm sure it appears retro to most but I think it's more akin to the New Beetle than the retro cars like the Mustang/Camaro/Charger, the silly T-Bird thing that died a quick death and others.

11. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I get what you're saying (and did in the first place... was just having fun)...

But I think the Charger/Challenger/Stang were much better executed.... if someone wants to buy it, so be it... I frankly think it IS a good thing that some of those designers "gave up" on their newfangled crap and went back to classic concepts that "worked"... because a lot of the "modern" stuff these guys have come out with in the past 10 years has been HIDEOUS. Not everyone will agree with me on this... but thank God for Chris Bangle (not that he has anything to do with this current discussion). But at least he shares my sense of what "attractive" is... unlike most of the US designers...

12. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    that's precisely what I was saying. It's like they admitted defeat on cutting edge design and reverted to what they could do best. :lol:

And no, I didn't expect top notch design from GM but I do like many current models, aesthetically. The Traverse = win. The Malibu = win. Sky/Solstice duo = win. The G8 = win. This proves they CAN do it. Why they can't get those guys working on the other cars is :eek:ut:

13. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep - I agree with you on the wins... but it's a horrific batting average, even if it were baseball. And I think the issue is, they don't have anyone at the top who agrees with us what constitutes a "win"... see "Cadillac"... though I have some coworkers who think the Caddies look good... I just raise an eyebrow when they say that...

14. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I admit....I'd take an XLR over Vette convertible. Beyond that, I don't get it. :lol:

15. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I actually like the Cadillac styling.

16. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009