Also plays with Porsche

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Wyvern, May 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Wyvern

Wyvern New Member

May 13, 2009
    CA, SFO, East Bay
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey folks,

I have been brainwashed from day one with Porsches.

I am a proud son ... and this answers a lot of questions about my car passion.
    My dad was one of the original 18 who started the first PCA club, He is PCA member #15
    He started many other PC chapters around the world.
    Including Australia and South Africa.

We now have 3 356s and very active in the 356 Registery.

After many years I am now also an owner.

Mine is a 1975 911S factory wide body with many Porsche and aftermarket updates.

Any other PORSCHE folks ???

[​IMG]

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I want one!!

Ever since I was a kid I've wanted one. Before I bought the MINI I was giving serious consideration to a mid 80's 930. Even bid on a few on ebay, won one too. Turns out they advertised it poorly. They called me right after I won, well not really won since it did not hit reserve, and offered m,e the car for the reserve of 100k. Car had been stored for a few years in a private collection. It was the very 1st factory slope nose imported to US by Porsche and was given as a gift to Brian Redmond. Nice car but I wanted one I could drive, not one to put in a museum.

One day I will find the right one for me.

3. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Count me in on that Porsche desire. I have ALWAYS loved the 356's and the entire 911 product line. Sorry Nathan the slope nose just will not do. :frown2:

Anyway, I have come very close several times to purchasing a 356b, 356c, and a few early 70's 911s.

Presently shopping for a lates 60s beetle for my daughter and so that will have to fill the void for now.

I still really love my MINI, but I can always make a little room for the right Porsche.:D

4. Wyvern

Wyvern New Member

May 13, 2009
    CA, SFO, East Bay
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #4 Wyvern, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
    Yep ... in 1975 when I was 16 (... go on ... do the math ...LOL)

I drove in one of my dads friends 75 911 ...
    Made a promise to myself that "one day ..."

Been a long time to "one day" and a LOT of work.

I posted a article about my dad in my gallery . if your interested.

This year is a biggie for us, 60 years of porsche, and the marque at the Monterey historics.
    We will be there with one of my dads, mine and, my uncles 904

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Oh hell, let me jump on this. The wife and I are big fans. We were going back and forth on what the next car should be. An M3 or a Porsche. And we keep coming back to a Porsche. While I'm a fan of many models, sadly I am not that versed on them. Around here the car Nate is talking about was called slant nose. Dark curly hair, gold chains and a hairy chest were a requirement to own one.

While I would give up half the family jewels (left or right, doesn't matter) for a GT3 (especially an RS) I think we will have to settle for a few year old 911 S. But that is still a few years in the future.

6. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    A 904..........AWESOME! :Thumbsup: I have never had the pleasure of climbing into one of those cars. Consider yourself very fortunate.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Then there is the one that got away....

In Baltimore at the time, where I was born and raised, there was guy that had this corner shop that worked on lots of the exotic stuff around town. In about 1984 or so somehow he opens the sparkling new Lamborghini/Lotus/Bitter dealer, yes Bitter, any one remember them? They also sold used exotics too. I'm in there one day drooling on the machinery when I peer around a corner and find a pure white 934 with a red and blue stripe laid diagonally across the nose. It's a little pock marked but thats ok, it's been driven. I dare to look at the sticker....$24K

OK, there has to be something wrong here, so I talk to the sale guy and he tells me it an ex -Brumos Racing 934 that ran at Sebring. Fully street legal, has all the markers and a real VIN. After a bit of conversation and a test drive that still has my pants soiled we come to a deal. My 84 GTI and $10K in cash. This was no ordinary GTI either, oettenger 16v head, all euro bumpers, konis, recaros etc etc.

That evening at dinner I tell my dad about it looking to borrow some of the $10k I need. Nope... would not budge.

In retrospect it's both a good and bad thing. I saw the same car in the Autoweek classifieds a few times now over the years grow in value to around $250k. If' I'd have owned a car with that much power at that time in my life I don't think I'd be telling this now...I'd probably have been scraped up from the leftover bits as the 934 left the road ass end leading me to certain high speed death...

8. fasteddie

fasteddie New Member

May 12, 2009
    MINI Technician
    Red Oak, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #8 fasteddie, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
    That is true, "unanswered prayers" . Had to jump in on this one, too. After servicing Porsche for 10 yrs, and now servicing MINI's, I miss the "drive" of the 911sc. Still dream of laying my hands on a 959 !!

9. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it was for the best Nathan. I am sure you were not too happy with Dad, but maybe his wisdom saved your butt. :D

10. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the want class myself, a Slate Gray '69 911S and a 993 Carrera 2 would be an awesome way to summarize the aircooled 911 history. I also wouldn't mind a 997 GT3 but all three of these fall into the realm of unobtainability for now.

11. R53 in SC

R53 in SC New Member

May 14, 2009
    Simpsonville, SC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, consider me a Porsche fan too. Currently, my MINI is my DD and my 911 is my 'toy'. Still, both of them are toys!

Mine is an '84 RoW Carrera, Grand Prix White w/ burgundy half leather/half cloth. It's mostly stock w/ a few updates/upgrades.

DSC07731-1.jpg

Later,
    Mike

12. AliceCpr07

AliceCpr07 New Member

May 9, 2009
    Towson/Baltimore
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    when i need my porsche fix, i just go home and ask pa dukes to take me out for a spin in his black 993 cabrio :Thumbsup:

always fun

13. roach13

roach13 New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]