Tesla sues Top Gear for libel and malicious falsehoods

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by rkw, Mar 31, 2011.

1. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    This was in the news this week. I thought someone else would have posted it by now.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-30/carmaker-tesla-sues-bbc-s-top-gear-over-electric-roadster-test.html

http://www.teslamotors.com/teslavstopgear

I think it is a really stupid action. For anything that involves the mileage range of electric vehicles, they should keep a low profile and not draw the public's attention to it. And this is just plain embarrassing for the image of America as a litigious society.

2. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Eh, right or wrong they aren't suing to make $$$. They just want the brodcast of that info to stop. It's kinda too late as the cat is out of the bag but I can see it from thier side.

*shrug*

Besides the Brits are just as litigious as we are.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    It's kind of interesting how TG stays in the news headlines. They sure aren't wallflowers.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I love the fact that they are not afraid to say what they really feel.

Tesla says....

cruise-lawsuit.jpg

5. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    BWAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol:

Nice.

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Sorry folks, but I am just not a Top Gear fan. I agree with Redbeard. They just say what they need to to keep the ratings up and make headlines. Was a good show once I think, but not any more. Heading to the bunker again, as I know it is well liked here, but that is just how I see it, for what ever that is worth which is not much I'm sure. :cornut:

Jim

7. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Maybe the truth hurts..

Fly in the ointment for me is the two year wait before taking action.... If the show was so wrong and the assessment so damaging, why would you wait two years and countless airings of the episode around the world to activate the attorneys? Wouldn't you want some sort of injunction to stop further airings until a judge deemed the facts true or not? Or would letting the show air for two years before filing a lawsuit increase the damages? ;(

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Tesla could not afford to activate the attorneys for 2 years. They had to save up some $$$. :aureola:

9. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    Tesla said that they tried contacting BBC many times but didn't get a response, so a lawsuit was their only option. Legal action is always expensive, I don't blame Tesla Motors for waiting and using it last.

Dave

10. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Hyperbole is TGs long suit. There can be little doubt that, for dramatic effect, they exaggerated the limitations of the EV platform. They have to produce interesting stories year-in and year-out, it's the nature of the business. I think that there are very few potential Tesla buyers that see the TG piece and take it so seriously that they decide against a Tesla. That having been said, it's a good move for Tesla to bring this suit against TG, for no other reason that they are piggybacking onto a very well-oiled publicity machine. Why else would they publicize the suit on their website (it's not a common thing for corporations to make a big public show of lawsuits)? It's money well-spent to be entangled with the most talked-about car show in the world.

Disclaimer: I'm obviously loyal to Tesla: Helix is an official power station.

11. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, right or wrong specific to the suit......... any publicity is good publicity! Tesla can only benefit regardless of suit outcome!

12. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Well, I guess they would not like my opinion.

I'm with "TOP GEAR"

I think all of the so called electric cars are pretty stupid if you are going to get one to be green and save the earth.

They need to be plugged into the grid to charge them. (Expensive) "YES" *** There isn't enough electricity to fill our needs now let alone a million or so electric cars being plugged in. ( Let the rolling brownouts begin )

It's going to be nice when the batteries need to go to the landfill. ( More Toxic Waste)

Safe??? I don't think so when you can get electrocuted in a certain type of accident. OR they can't cut you out of the car if needed because of a hi- voltage short.

I can't believe they are wasting so much time, $$$$ and energy trying to jam this crap to the public when a Hydrogen powered car would be safer, easier on the planet and would not use up all of the much needed electric power.

Using electric is even more stupid then using the worlds food supply to run a car.

I guess the people that introduced the hydrogen technology just did not grease the right palms.

This is my opinion and if anyone has a better one, please let us hear it.

13. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I actually agree with the fact most full electric cars don't make any sense.

Buuuutttt.... I have difficulty with the whole hydrogen car being "safer". It's also not really a cost effective solution either as it takes a great deal of power to create. Can't escape those laws of thermodynamics. :crazy:

Safety:
    Hydrogen safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

General:
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_hydrogen]Liquid hydrogen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

14. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    #14 ronnie948, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
    They have been on the Highways for years

Read this,

EV WORLD: Hydrogen Car Fire Surprise

Honda has been providing cars and trucks in the USA for 5 years now. No burns or deaths at all.

Consumer reports as well as the National highway safety could not get a hydrogen powered Honda to explode or catch fire no matter how many they crashed.

You have to cause a leak like in this report to cause any trouble at all.

The Prius is a good car but it still uses gas.

Redbeard has a good point though

Try reading this too,

http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=847

15. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Ronnie, you have a PM. I don't want to keep thread-jacking the Tesla Suit thread. :D

16. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I'm with Tesla on this. Top Gear is entertaining, and I'm fine with them having their own opinions on the show that make for good entertainment. That said, they still portray the show as a legitimate automotive review show, and therefore, they should not be fabricating stories or facts just to back up their admittedly entertaining opinions.

There are many instances of this:

- Tesla: We don't like EVs... we'll pretend like it ran out of power and the brakes failed.
    - GT500: We don't' like Mustangs and Straight Axles... We'll claim that the Roush Mustang handles better than the GT500 because it has Independent Rear Suspension (which it doesn't... it has a straight axle, too). Then, we'll claim the GT500 doesn't make the Ford-claimed 500 hp and prove it by putting it on a dyno and saying "Look, it only made 450 WHEEL horsepower".... Except that 450whp is roughly 530hp, so the GT500 is actually way UNDERrated.

Again, I find Top Gear entertaining, and I don't mind them coming up with legitimate reasons to not like the Tesla or Mustangs or anything else... there are plenty of them. I disagree, however, that just because it's an "entertainment" car review show that they are free to fabricate whatever facts they feel like.

17. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I think it's a joke....

I watched a show about the building of Tesla's on SPEED the other night. The on track footage that was used was of the Tesla on Top Gears track. :lol: They did not use Clarkson's commentary.

18. cop1406

cop1406 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Oink Oink
    Sonora, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    If Tesla needs cash so badly, maybe they should contact John Delorean. Im sure he could hook them up......:eek:

19. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Read the filing. They aren't suing for the money. They are asking for less than 100K GBP. It's probably just enough to cover thier legal costs...

20. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Here is a silly question: Have any Tesla's actually been produced for public consumption? I keep seeing "gonna have" dates, but no actual production numbers. I am being lazy by not going and checking myself, but I remember seeing the dollar amount on the original Tesla and it was stupid expensive and years away from production... Not a good combo to keep any interest.

I could see the suit if they actually stood to lose money, but is anyone actually buying one of these overpriced plug and plays?