IndyCar 2015 season (R)

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by MiniCamaro, Jun 27, 2015.

1. MiniCamaro

MiniCamaro Member

Oct 24, 2013
    retired
    west coast USA
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I have only watched a couple other races this year: Indy and one other oval. Today, I saw the last half of Fontana. Graham Rahal won (2nd time ever) under a last lap caution.

There were certainly some emotions today with the accidents that happened, but after the race, everybody (except perhaps Rahal) seemed a bit subdued. It was a grueling race. Nobody seemed able to maintain the lead more than a very short time. sometimes seconds.

Lots of "pack racing", which rather infuriated some folks out there. One guy made reference to DW's crash in LV that claimed his life. Interesting, since IndyCar seemed to respond very quickly with a brand new ruleset creating brand new cars. But I wonder if it's kind of true.

This race was an excellent "spectator's race", but you got the sense that every driver was glad to see it over.

Next race: Milwaukee mile.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, maybe...

"What are we doing?" asks Power after crazy, crash-filled Fontana finish (racer.com)

3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Great race!

4. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Good intentions can lead to bad outcomes, which is kind of what happened with the increase in downforce, which many of the drivers warned against. I hope it doesn't take another serious injury or death for them to be more careful with this. The series is rebounding nicely, the last thing they need is a bunch of high profile drivers complaining (a threat of boycott would be devastating at this point). When open wheel racing starts to resemble NASCAR super speedway restrictor plate racing, you've reached a point that is no longer sustainable without serious consequences.

5. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Racing is dangerous....unless of course it's RC racing...

6. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    Are you kidding? Have you ever gotten hit in the shin by a flying RC car? :biggrin5:

7. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Actually yes I have...lol

8. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Racing is dangerous, but just like anything, you can reduce the risk and keep it entertaining. No one wants to go back to the F1 years of 20% mortality. We should be moving forward with safety and great racing, and I think most of us are past the point of sacrificing drivers in the name of great racing. At least I am.

When people like Tony Kanaan and Will Power say there's a problem, there's a problem.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    That race was Russian roulette at 210 MPH. Farking farking crazy, I'm so glad no one was hurt. Briscoe is one very lucky fella. I love close racing, but that was ridiculous.

10. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    All true, but save for a few bumps and bruises no one was injured yesterday...and the drama of a few of the drivers complaining has helped Indy Car be in the conversation today... They need exposure too, did anyone notice that 95% of the seats were empty.

11. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    The racing is getting better, people will come around. They were lucky something serious didn't happen, very lucky. An incident with multiple fatalities, like the 1964 Indy 500, and the IRL is done. Indy Car Racing isn't in great shape, although it's improving, it wouldn't take much to push it over the brink.

As for "a few of the drivers complaining"....Look who those drivers are. If you don't take their opinions seriously, you're doing a great disservice to the league. They've payed their dues, they know what they're talking about, and they don't routinely complain. People should get the message and act on it, the stakes are just too high.

12. MiniCamaro

MiniCamaro Member

Oct 24, 2013
    retired
    west coast USA
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    There was a convo going on on FB concerning the paltry attendance. I have never been to Fontana itself, but I went to the Inland Empire a few years ago. In September (this is June). It was 107F (42C). I can't imagine yesterday was muchmore pleasant.

I dolove the track, but move the race to the end of the year.

13. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    If the organizers don't start listening seriously, the drivers should walk out until they do. I'm certainly no expert, but these cars are taking to the air far too often and it's time to revisit the design and limit their speed.

14. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Makes sense why the track was so slick. If the ambient is 107, anywhere near the track is going to be much hotter. Be pretty hard to watch a race in that.

15. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Not all the drivers and owners were complaining and Indy Car did more than just survive in the years following that terrible day that so many were killed... Most the race yesterday was great and very clean, it wasn't until the closing laps and the drivers started going 4 wide and taking too many chances that the wrecks started happening. Totally agree there needs to be some TWEAKING of the packages, but a return to single file follow the leader racing will not fill the stands or increase TV ratings...

16. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Mark, when that happened it 1964, Indy was HUGE, a much bigger deal than it is today. It survived it then, the margin for error is much smaller now. Group racing is NASCAR, not Indy. They're slightly over the edge, maybe more than slightly over the edge.

Not all the drivers were complaining, but the ones that were just hapoen to be the most respected voices in the garage...

You're right in that boring races will not work in the long run. Neither will races with serious injuries or the possibility of fatalities. Who wants to bring their young kids to that? I don't. I was going to take my daughter to the Milwaukee Mile this year, but I won't be. Until they make some changes, the chances of exposing an 8 year old to something devastating is just too high. I don't look at racing as a blood sport.

17. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    So you dicount AJ Foyt's voice, possibly the best to ever suit up at Indy? It needs tweaking, that is all...

18. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    AJ may have had a different opinion had he just driven 500 miles flat out 4 inches from other cars in a large pack. AJ is a dinosaur who was on top in his day. In his time racing fatalities were commonplace & accepted as the norm. He is living in the past. I am thankful we have come to a point were fatalities are a rarity.

19. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    ^^ This. As much as I live AJ Foyt, the current drivers perspective means more to me.

Who won that 1964 Indy with two fatalities? That would be AJ. His perspective is a little different....

20. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I've never thought much of Foyt. Still don't.