2nd Gen Paceman JCW Paceman - The Jalopnik Review

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Nathan, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Mini Coopers are small cars. That's what Mini means. The Mini Paceman is not a small car. It's a motoring paradox. It's perplexing. But you know what's worse? This car isn't particularly, how do you say, good.

Sometimes you judge something before you've experienced it. You did it with food when you were a kid. You do it with music before you hear it.… (Full Disclosure: Mini wanted me to drive the Paceman JCW so bad that they brought it by the office and let me drive it for a week. I wanted to drive the Paceman because we've collectively been slagging on it since day one without ever sitting in one. I needed to change that.)

I want to say off the bat that I love Minis. When I first saw a 2005 Mini Cooper S, I wanted one. I wanted one bad. Mine was going to be stone grey with a black roof and the Minilite style wheels. I'm envisioning it now and I still really want it. I even like the Clubman, since I think it fits Mini's ethos.

Full Article - http://jalopnik.com/2013-mini-john-cooper-works-paceman-the-jalopnik-revie-791183208

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Wow.......very nice review.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Whaaaaat ? Did you even read it?

The guy hated the Mini Paceman he almost called it a POS and it's not worth $45,000.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    .....exactly, nice review.

:p

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ahhh ok I understand now. :Thumbsup::devil::lol:

6. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    #6 yellowbritishrocket, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
    i fail to see anything beyond the usual gripes about the ergonomics...if these clowns would actually drive one long term they would find the ergonomics far better especially with all of the switches within finger reach...and honestly i like the MINI connected controller better than the bmw idrive one which is a large rotating knob...i think this guy was out to pan the car regardless...

this review hasnt changed my opinion about the car...in fact i want to get one more now just to thumb my nose at this clown lol

lol hell go and spec out a JCW Clubman with all of the bells and whistles and you come to 42 Grand

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Didn't he say they had it for a week?

I agree tho, $45K for a MINI is just nutso.....they've left me behind price wise, guess I'll just have to keep my Clubby.

I also don't like the car, and I really wanted to, because I wanted an all wheel drive MINI, to potentially replace our Audi Allroad wagon. But there's no way I'd spend this much money, firstly, and secondly, I really didn't like the car very much.............and I tried to.............really!

8. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I have driven my FILs several times and I just don't like it. Maybe because its an automatic, it does have paddle shifters but it also kicks out of that mode on its own so that is no good.

9. yellowbritishrocket

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    i honestly dont know why they put an automatic in the JCW...puts more weight on the car and they just crap out... to this day i dont know why BMW wouldnt mate this motor up to its DCT transmission...you want me to consider a slushbox? it had better be that DCT

10. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    1. Cost cutting. They had an auto tranny from the standard S ready to just bolt on.
    2. They want to keep MINI a step below BMW.

11. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Automatics do not "crap out"........while MINI certainly had issues keeping it's CVT's on the road, the auto has been a paragon of reliability.

Since they charge an additional $1200 I don't see the argument for it being a cost cutting move. Nor do I see the argument for keeping it "below" a BMW, since they can easily cost as much as a 3 Series anymore. do they use a DCT on the 4 cylinder turbo 1 series?

But I agree that I'd like to drive one with a dual clutch transmission. The Audis I've driven with it are amazingly good.

I think the reason this car has an auto is because it was going to be driven by a lot of ham fisted journalists and they didn't want to have to replace the clutch.

I find that the people who most often don't like the auto are those who refuse to learn how to use it. They complain because it doesn't work like a stick, but then they never really spend the time to figure out HOW to get it work like they want it to, and how to get the most fun out of it. Instead they look for reasons to bolster their opinion that "Automatics suck"

It's fine to have an opinion, and it's fine to have preferences, but it's not OK to condemn something just because you're ignorant of how it works, and too lazy or indifferent to learn.

12. yellowbritishrocket

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    no...the automatics on the MINIs...SUCK!

and from what ive heard there will be DCT on the new 1series...hell i think the DCT weighs less than the MINI auto trans...

the "paddles" on the Auto MINIs gives the illusion of control but the computer is still firmly in control of the car...plus given the added weight of the slushbox probably didnt help with his opinion on the car

they should have put the DCT in the Countryman/Paceman...its a heavier duty trans that is build to deal with far heavier BMW's

13. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it's cost cutting. Let me rephrase it. It is more profitable for MINI to bolt on an auto tranny from the standard S than to retrofit a different and more expensive transmission.

14. yellowbritishrocket

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    this is true rkw...it will be interesting to see what they do with the F56 now that its a BMW built motor

15. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    No, they don't.

and once again you're talking out of your hat.

I own one, I track it regularly and have 50K on it now - it most assuredly does not suck, and I'm quicker than many 3 pedal drivers. My car is bone stock except for a larger rear sway bar, and I'd invite you out to Heartland Park's 2.5 mile road course to show you why you're wrong.

I also doubt there's 5 lbs difference in weight between the automatic and manual transmissions. Why you think the auto is "heavy" is a mystery to me.

You're only showing your ignorance by continuing to make these blanket pronouncements.

It's fine to have an opinion, but when people write things that aren't true, they need to educate themselves first.

16. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    8 speed automatic, but it remains to be seen whether it will be DCT, which so far has been reserved for sportier BMW models. It depends on what BMW is doing across their full product line.

MotoringFile » Archive » Frequently Asked Questions & Answers on the 2014 F56 MINI

17. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    MiniDave have you driven a Paceman with an Automatic transmission yet?

18. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yes, I wasn't happy with the car, but it had nothing to do with the automatic....rather I thought the price/value just wasn't there. I also thought the car was "small" inside, especially in the backseat, I also found the ergonomics off for me and higher position off the road affects the handling of the car. Add to that the extra bulk and weight and it just didn't drive like a MINI.

I've driven plenty of Countryman as well and this feels about the same....

As to the automatic, I have one in my Clubby so I'm familiar with it.

RKW's comment from Motoring File about the pull/pull vs push/pull is interesting to me, as I think that means you downshift with one side and upshift with the other. The reason that's interesting to me is that I find I always shift with just my right, whether I'm using the paddles/buttons or the lever..... so I'd have to learn a whole new regimen with that transmission arrangement, or just use the lever like I mostly do now.

19. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Yea my FILs is the same as yours but I agree I would have to relearn if it was separated by side. I guess next time I will try the stick for shifting see how that works. His is an S and I am not impressed with it, inside or out.