2nd Gen Paceman Paceman Review: JCW...a simply sizzling drive

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Nathan, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The John Cooper Works version of the Mini Paceman is a simply sizzling drive

WHEN a car comes fitted with a Chili pack as an optional extra, you would expect it to be hot.

But the MINI Paceman John Cooper Works exceeds all expectations – it’s simply a sizzling car.

This MINI, with its price-tag just shy of £30,000, is fast, has incredible driving dynamics and certainly puts the fun back into motoring.

For starters, it can sprint to 62mph from a standing start in just 6.9 seconds and has a top speed of 140mph.

But it’s the all-round package that’s so impressive.

With its dazzling design, black 19-inch alloys and black-rimmed headlights, there is no way this car will go unnoticed.

Additional eye-catching features on this four-seater include long doors to accentuate the stretched side profile, an electric glass sunroof, muscular flared wheel arches and two large tailpipes that provide plenty of acoustics.

Added to that is distinctive John Cooper Works badging on the grille and throughout the cabin. The Paceman has been billed as MINI’s first sports-activity coupe.

And it certainly maintains a thoroughly sporty theme throughout, with heated leather sports seats, a
    three-spoke steering wheel, stiff suspension and even a sport button that changes the car’s driving dynamics.

But despite all the beautiful styling, there are still many features that are easily identifiable to the MINI brand.

These include the massive circular dial in the centre of the dashboard, housing the speedo and fuel gauge, toggle switch controls and a smaller circular dial in front of the driver with rev counter, digital speedo and other
    trip information.

There is an abundance of techno treats such as a sat-nav system, CD/DAB radio, which is compatible with modern day media devices,
    a parking distance control,
    air con and lots more.

Back seat passengers have ample leg room and the boot can cater for overnight cases.

The rear seats fold forward individually to increase storage space, as and when it is required.

So the Paceman looks the business and has more technical wizardry than a Harry Potter novel but how does it handle? The clue is in the name – Paceman. That’s because this particular MINI has a lowered suspension for dynamic ride capabilities.

The 1.6-litre petrol engine delivers plenty of oomph and there is a constant
    supply of power on tap as the car moves smoothly and rapidly through the six-speed manual transmission.

As is traditional with MINI models, the Paceman boasts the trademark go-kart-like handling and all-wheel drive is another bonus on this car.

The road-holding is absolutely brilliant and any bend can be tackled with ease.

The Paceman has a comprehensive list of top-notch safety specifications, which include dynamic traction control, automatic stability control, brake force distribution, cornering brake control and six airbags.

The Paceman is the only MINI to be identifiable from a rear nameplate and, to be brutally honest, that is what most other drivers will be seeing as the car cruises by.

Source - The John Cooper Works version of the Mini Paceman is a simply sizzling drive - Daily Record

2. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Newsletter producer, retired DOT chief
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Wow, Maxine is really impressed and I am impressed by Maxine's impressions. But, please, all MINIs put fun back into motoring.

3. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I can only imagine the intense emotional experience she'd have driving a JCW Hardtop! :drool

4. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    coming from a hardtop i can say the JCW Paceman handles just like the hardtop and its probably due to the fact its the same configuration as the hardtop plus with the AWD it gets the car a whole new dimension in handling

5. packimocity

packimocity New Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Education
    NE PA
    Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Im thinking of pulling the trigger on a Paceman S all4 in the near future. just have to decide which Mini to "liquidate"

pac:idea:

6. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    in my case im selling my 03 "S" to make way for my JCW Paceman...i didnt want to give up my classic mini...plus considering the size and weight i could in theory tow the classic if need be

7. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Very different than the Jalopnik review, good to hear.

8. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    Jalopnik's cynical about everything, which is not the same as being appropriately critical or cleverly humorous. Sometimes they're ridiculously uninformed, and sometimes they're exactly right - but they're always having to operate in an unfortunate environment where they face the onerous duty of filling a large number of electronic pages every day. Most of us would turn to dust under the same circumstances.

(Please don't ask me what inspired this philosophical drivel. I need a nap.) :eek: