2nd Gen Paceman 2014 vs 2015, that is the question

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by SuperC00per, Apr 17, 2014.

1. SuperC00per

SuperC00per New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    so i've been waiting for my JCW Paceman for ~5 months now; ordered early Dec. it's currently scheduled to go into production sometime in May. i'll have another 6-8 weeks after that (late June, early July) before it 'could' be at my dealership for pick up.
    so now that the 2015 Countryman has been announced, i'm guessing the 2015 Paceman is just around the corner... assuming they don't discontinue it.
    no real details on what changed aside from some new colors and minor exterior cosmetics. anyone have any inside info/details on other changes/options?
    sounds like the 2015's could be in showrooms in July/Aug. i'd like to know what the updates are so i can decide whether i should cancel my pending order and just wait for a 2015. i've waited this long...

AutoBlog: 2015 Mini Countryman getting mild facelift for NY - Autoblog

CarScoops: 2015 MINI Countryman Comes to New York with Barely Noticeable Facelift [Updated] - Carscoops

LeftLane: Facelifted 2015 MINI Countryman to bow in New York? | New and Used Car Reviews, Research & Automotive-Industry News & LeftLaneNews

MotoringFile: MotoringFile » Archive » MINI Paceman 2015 Refresh Debuting in Beijing Next Week

2. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  3. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    The only problem I see is if it is taking this long to build the 2014 it might June of next year before you get the 2015.

4. SuperC00per

SuperC00per New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    lol, that is a good possibility :)
    i'm guessing they're going to want to get the 2015's into showrooms asap though. i think part of the hangup with my build may have been that the 2015 hardtop had just been announced and they wanted them in showrooms by March so bumped production of everything else.
    you'd think that if sales of the Paceman were so dismal they would try to get actual orders of them out as quickly as possible so people could see them on the streets.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The Paceman and Countryman are not made in the same Oxford factory as the rest of the line. They are made in Austria by Magna Steyr under contract from BMW. That will soon be changing with production being moved to the Netherlands in the ex-Mitsubishi factory that BMW purchased.

6. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    And then when the '15 comes out you will have to decide if you might want to wait for the latest updates in the upcoming '16. If you want something, get it now (instant gratification). It's not like this is the last car you're ever going to buy. That is unless you're older than I am.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup it all depends if you want to pay for the new car and the depreciation.

8. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    the paceman wont be refreshed in the 2015 model year...thats only the Countryman because its the mid cycle refresh or LCI...the paceman isnt due for a update until the 2016 model year (1Jul2015)...the 2014's had updates over the 2013 paceman where they deleted the rear rail and put in proper cup holders that dont stick up above the butt pads of the rear seats also they adjusted the packages offered and threw in heated mirrors and washer jets as standard...if you want the 2015 countryman parts for your paceman you can get the new grille and DRL's prior to...i have a 2014 JCW and its well worth it

9. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    By that argument, the Gen2 LCI should have been phased in at different years for R56, R55, and R57. However, they all received the LCI simultaneously in 2011. It makes perfect sense from a manufacturing standpoint because they all share the same parts. It is exactly the same situation for the Countryman and Paceman.

The MotoringFile article states very clearly: MotoringFile » Archive » MINI Paceman 2015 Refresh Debuting in Beijing Next Week
    The MINI Paceman will debut the same 2015 refresh we saw with the Countryman in NYC in Bejing next week.
    The updated Paceman will arrive in showrooms this July and August.

10. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    You won't have to wait long to see the 2015 Paceman, because - as rkw said - it's on the list of unveilings for this week's Beijing Auto Show. It will have essentially the same upgrades and changes that already have been announced for the 2015 Countryman, and it will be available July-August.

So, it sounds like you're now in a position to get one of the last 2014 models - or one of the first 2015 models. I know what I'd do ...:Thumbsup:

11. SuperC00per

SuperC00per New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    from what's been reported so far the only real differences between the 2014 & 2015 are the headlights & grill. i was more interested in the new BMW engine that's supposed to be more efficient & powerful.
    at this point i'm just looking forward to having a car again. i have to stop into the MINI dealer at least once a month to keep the excitement level up and remind myself that i picked the right car. :) reading positive experiences in the forums helps too.

12. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    There will be no drivetrain changes, but the 2015 gets LED foglights, standard automatic climate control and rain-sensing wipers, and anthracite gauges. There's also at least one new wheel design and more sound deadening.

It looks like the new engines only will be added as new generations of each model are introduced, with the Clubman (?) being next.

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well...... Here's the thing about LED headlights and LED fog lights..... Super efficient and long life.... And they run cooler than filament bulbs which run hotter....

Sooooo yous with the fancy LED lighting. Yous that live where it snows.... Don't be surprised if your LED lights ice over because they don't run hot enough and can't melt the layer of ice that gets built up during the ice storms.... When yous really need good vision the most...

The same thing is happening with the fancy LED traffic lights.... It never happened with the old style traffic lights...

14. SuperC00per

SuperC00per New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    i opted for the 'Premium Package' so will get the rain sensing wipers & climate control. and as a JCW i'll get the anthracite gauges...
    so the only thing really differentiating my 2014 from the 2015 are the lights and grill (as far as we know at the moment).
    i actually have no idea what wheels i'm getting :) i don't remember picking anything. so i guess it's the default JCW wheels...

15. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    BMW started to offer LED headlights a few years ago, and hopefully have enough experience by now. This is what they have to say about their motorcycle version:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/technology_detail/safety/item_led_headlight.html&notrack=1

16. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hope so....

The fog lights are pretty small.... Maybe they also have tiny fans...

The headlights on the F56 are much bigger.... Probably enough room for a big fan...

Of course all of these aspects should be caught when they do their cold weather testing.... Might not be a problem at all....

Time will tell....