DDMotorsports Project R56 Mini Cooper S

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by M.Bonanni, Jul 30, 2009.

1. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone, we just purchased a new '09 Mini Cooper S as a new project car/daily driver to showcase products we sell. So far we haven't really gotten started executing our plans for this project as we are just starting to break into the European car scene with our company. We have just started on this project so there isn't much done to it yet, but you guys will get to see every step of the build! Here are some photos of the car in bone stock form taken right after we got it. I won't bore you with too many since everyone has seen a stock Mini Cooper S before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plans:
    The plans are fairly simple and mild at this point. "The basics," wheels/tires, exhaust, downpipe, coilovers, and a few other small things are all we have planned at this point. I try not to plan too far in advance as plans usually change as we get more involved with a car and community.

2. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    GTSPEC Front Strut Tower Brace w/custom powdercoated end plates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have a long standing history with GTSPEC and they have proven to make excellent products that actually work. Not many companies actually take the time to find people to test the performance of their product on a race track to ensure not only their strength, but their ability to perform. Back in 2007 we hooked up with GTSPEC to test and develop products on our 350Z time attack car and since then have helped them do the same with our Evo IX project car and are currently working with them on development and testing parts on our new time attack project 370Z. Although this project Mini Cooper will not see much track time I still thought the front strut tower brace would be a great mod because it looks so good. Normally the brace comes with the end pieces painted the signature blue/gray color that most all GTSPEC parts come in and although I love the color, I didn't like it up against the red so a quick trip to my local powdercoat place and $40 later the end plates were now red to better match the car. I kept the middle polished for now as we haven't quite decided on a wheel color. Whatever color wheels we go with will determine what we do with the rest of the car.

Fitment of the bar was 98% spot on with an otherwise stock engine bay. The only thing that wasn't absolutely perfect fitment wise was that the brace comes in contact with the wiring plug for the MAF a little. It won't make any difference in anything or cause any problems down the road that I can forsee, but I am just trying to be as picky as I can to give the forums and GTSPEC some good and honest feedback.

Driving Impressions:
    Street driving impressions actually slightly exceeded my expectations for this mod! Although driving on the street isn't near as good an indicator as track driving for a mod like this, you can actually feel a difference in front end flex. It's not a massive difference, but it is enough to feel. The front end of the car has a crisper feel to it while turning which is a good indicator that this mod is reducing a good amount of front end flex. 99% of the reason we put this on our project car is because of looks, but it appears that this will also be an excellent mod for the track.

3. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The DDMWorks "PFB" intake kit is finally due to arrive on Wednesday the 12th! I will install it Wednesday night and if there is a noticeable sound difference coming from the car I will take some video from inside and outside of the car.

4. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, got the new DDMWorks "PFB" intake kit on last night! Here are pics and my review...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installation:
    Installtion was a snap. The kit comes with comprehensive step by step instructions and all necessary parts, nuts, and bolts. In total it took less than 30 minutes with the proper tools. The only tools needed that might be somewhat uncommon in most garages are torx head screwdrivers or wrenches. The only other tools needed were a flat head and phillips head screwdriver and a pair of 10mm wrenches or sockets. Also an allen wrench and 17mm wrench if you have the GTSPEC front strut tower brace installed on your car prior to installing the intake.

Fitment:
    Fitment was really good. There are no clearance issues with the hood, the GTSPEC strut tower brace, or anything else in the engine bay. It actually fits better with the GTSPEC strut tower brace than the stock intake did. No complaints about fitment.

Performance:
    We didn't do any dyno testing but you can tell a small amount of performance is gained and I am hoping for even more noticeable gains after a few more miles if the computer is still "learning" the new intake. Butt dyno gains are not huge but noticeable. It also seems a bit more responsive which is nice. The rest of our car is 100% stock engine wise.

Sound:
    Sound is pretty good in my opinion. The intake does allow you to hear the stock turbo spool up and blow off more, but it isn't loud enough to become annoying. It actually is a lot quieter than I was expecting and with the radio on at normal levels the turbo sounds are pretty much drowned out. Bear in mind our exhaust system is still 100% stock too so with the addition of a louder exhaust I don't know if you would be able to hear it at all. There is also a little more engine sound, but again not a lot louder than stock.

To sum it up I am very happy with the DDMWorks "PFB" intake system for what I am going for with the car. It ads to the cars looks, performance, and fun factor. It fits with our GTSPEC front strut tower brace perfectly, and I like the fact that if I want more performance down the road I can add the DDMWorks Ram Air Scoop to the car. This intake system is well worth the price in my opinion!

5. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Kinda funny how the Mini hauls more stuff than any of our other cars. A full set of 19" wheels & tires from our Time Attack Project 370Z, mounted and inflated...

[​IMG]

6. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I keep going back and forth on suspension and wheels and I am getting sick of the stock ride height so I just ordered a set of Eibach springs as a temporary fix. Then I can focus on wheels, then swap the springs out for coilovers.

7. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Finally bit the bullet and ordered some wheels! I will have to wait 60 days to get them though :(.

Work XD9 18"x 8" White...

[​IMG]

Since they aren't offered in black, I figured I would see if I like the white on red. If I don't like it, I will powdercoat them black. White on red looks pretty good on this car though...

[​IMG]

8. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Really quick and lame photoshop of what I hope to have it looking like by SEMA. Yes I know we are totally jacking M3This' old roof design but I have his permission. :D

[​IMG]

9. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Finally some updates. Sorry for slacking guys. With the time attack last weekend the 370Z took up all of my time, but I finally got around to installing the Eibach Pro-Kit springs and Challenge stainless steel braided brake lines! Everything fit perfectly.

Front:
    [​IMG]

Rear:
    [​IMG]

Brake Lines - The Challenge brake lines are a quality piece. Everything fit perfectly and the install was really easy. Changed the fluid out to some AMSOIL brake fluid I had lying around. The pedal feel has dramatically improved. I have no plans on tracking this car but the improved pedal feel, low cost, and easy install make it a good mod for even a street car in my opinion.

Springs - Just like anyone else who has installed the Eibach springs, installation was straight forwards and pretty easy. I am hoping the springs settle a bit more and get the car a little lower but overall happy with how the car looks. The ride is awesome when coupled with the stock struts. Feels pretty much just like stock comfort with increased response and overall improved handling feel. Not bad for the price either. Hopefully my 18s and painting the plastic fenders will make it look a little lower :).

I will post pics of the car from the outside soon. Just want to give it a bit of time to settle in and for me to wash it because it is filthy :).

10. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Removed all of the trim pieces for paint! Going to drop them off tomorrow...

[​IMG]

- Front Fender Trim
    - Side Skirts
    - Rear Fender Trim
    - Front Lip
    - Rear Lip
    - Grille Surround
    - Headlight Surrounds
    - Tail Light Surrounds

Then the hood scoop is just in there for paint matching purposes. Would have loved to do a Cooper fuel door and get the door handles and beltline painted as well, but those will have to wait.

Also, my Work XD9s will be in my hands this week! Still working on tires though.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If you have ever used any products to clean or protect the trim you may find that fisheyes will develop in the newly painted bits. It is recommended to purchase all new trim for paint.

12. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have only used soap and water. :)

13. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wheels are here! Tires will be ordered today. Trim pieces back from paint early next week, then photos. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tires ordered!

Hankook Ventus RS2 - 215/35/18

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I always liked the right white wheel on a red MINI. Anxious to see how this looks.

16. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Painted trim pieces will be done and back on the car tomorrow! Tires arrive Friday. :cornut:

17. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
  18. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Quick teaser shot of some of the painted trim pieces and the Work XD9 wheels! Also ordered HSport competition rear camber arms to ensure perfect fitment in the rear.

[​IMG]

19. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Nice! I always wanted Work Emotions for my MINI -- great looking (IMO), well made and light, but pricey. It's probably a good thing I couldn't get them in the right size (16x7.5 or 8) and hole pattern because I really didn't need to spend Emotions type money on wheels.

How heavy are those XD9s?

20. M.Bonanni

M.Bonanni New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    North Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't call them light. They were 24lbs. each, which I think is kinda heavy for an 18x8