The "While it's there" thread (Or a brief introduction to "Einstein")

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by cct1, Nov 22, 2015.

1. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Sort of a teaser thread, but not really...I kind of feel guilty posting this, because I'm not doing any of this like Paul is, but, on the other hand, it's pretty damned cool.

So I send my car to RMW in March, initially to have the Stroker installed, (better) LSD, clutch, and have the brakes tweaked. And while it's there, a whole bunch of other stuff happened, because Jan kept developing stuff, or stuff that was supposed to be developed finally came to fruition. Eventually I'll make a formal thread with all the details, including who did what and where it came from; all the work has/is being done at RMW (unlike Paul I have no desire to take on something this large myself. My reasons are solid: It's beyond my capabilities, and I'm lazy. It's not a combination conducive to pulling something like this off).

It's been a long time, but it's getting close....

Pics of the TVS installed, the FMIC, and dual pass radiator. Yes, this required removal of the AC, which is why it's missing...As many know, this can be pulled off by keeping your AC, but that requires W2A, which, although a great option, wasn't the best option for me.

The car has been converted so that it can run either gas or E85 (E85 for the track, more HP, even more torque, runs cool, and is 1/4 the price of race fuel. More and more people are doing it.)

Hopefully there will be numbers soon. The TVS is basically a 300WHP supercharger, the engine can handle much more, and I'm guessing with E85 and Jan's tweaking it'll be a nice bit higher than than 300WHP, but anything above that is gravy. 300 is plenty enough, the engine is overbuilt for what I'll be running it at--which is exactly what I wanted, reliability is huge (Since doing the head/header/cam and pounding the car for four years I've had zero mechanical issues, I trust Jan's built engines); depending on what I do with it, (time trials/time attacks, I was going to get a license for WTW but I don't think I want to put this car in harms way, maybe a Miata for that if I have the time), there may be rules involved.

Eventually I'll do a complete write up, something more formal, but it's close enough to start showing pic's as Jan (and Kevin) put it together.

Still to come: The widebody kit, AIM dasy, dry sump, cage, seats, steering wheel, some love from 5Zero, etc. But the TVS is what everyone has been waiting on, so here it is:

Attached Files:

• TVS.jpg
      TVS.jpg
      File size:
      76.9 KB
      Views:
    • FMIC.jpg
      FMIC.jpg
      File size:
      78.9 KB
      Views:
  2. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    It's about time you started a thread!

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to start making threads to commemorate each thing I pay other people to do for me.

Just so you don't feel bad.

4. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Well, indirectly at least, my car is your Guinea pig, you can thank me later...:devil:

BTW, if you don't know Kevin Reid, you'll want to introduce yourself sometime, that dude is beyond awesome and along with Jan will be a huge resource for you.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Man Thats sweet!!

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Both me and my car are in the process of shedding weight, New Year's Resolution challenge type of thing...Be interesting to see who loses more. Hopefully the car.

Attached Files:

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    For those of us who are acronym challenged, maybe you could explain what few of those are?

Excited to see the rest of the build too! :Thumbsup:

8. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Which ones? Some are acronyms, some, like 5zero, is a name of a company (Owen, who specializes in wraps and decals, is 5zero designs, he's wrapped many a MINI, and has done stuff for commercials, most notably the Duracell battery truck). When it's all done, I'll do something detailed, this is just a teaser. It's ended up being quite a bit more of a build than it originally started out--but it's going to be sweet when it's done.

9. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    AIM dasy, TVS, FMIC, W2A, WTW......to start with.

I'm familiar with these, and can decipher the others, but many of our readers are not comfortable with these terms.

10. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    AIM is a manufacturer of the electronic dash (gauges) he is using.

TVS, stands for Twin Vortices Series, it is a supercharger that combines the efficiency of a twin screw design with a traditional roots type blower... Only available through RMW.

FMIC, is Front Mounted Intercooler... It places a larger intercooler in front of the radiator in the front bumper for maximum efficiency.

W2A, is another type of intercooler using water and a separate heat exchanger (like a radiator)... These systems work well, but are very complex with lots of parts that "could" fail.

WTW???

11. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    WTW is Wheel to Wheel racing, on the track where anything goes.

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    AC= Ar Condishner...:cool:

13. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Should have been AIM dash, but it's too late to edit, doh..... Anyway Minidave, your point is a good one and when I do a complete write up including all the sordid details I'll make sure to spell out all the abbreviations, some won't be familiar with TVS, etc.

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    WTW - Walk this Way

The Aerosmith mod.

15. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Thanks, I figure if you spell it out once or twice in the early part of the thread that should be enough......

16. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    And, HMFIC is the man with the bank roll... Ultimately.

17. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget DILLIGAFF... Because on big builds like this, the car is being built to suit the goals of one person, and thats all that matters.

18. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I'm having Owen put a sponsor style sticker on the car; my sponsor is CIF, they've payed for pretty much the whole thing.