Sidewalk S - refresh & update a pre-loved convertible

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by ToySnakePMC, Jan 10, 2016.

1. ToySnakePMC

ToySnakePMC New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Fuquay Varina
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Greetings from NC and a new member here on MA. I have been a very brief visitor here having just discovered the MA forums after beginning some research on what has brought me here… And as something that usually happens to me when I visit project car or build thread sections, I got distracted (Squirrel!) when I clicked in and took a good look around. Fantastic build threads around here for sure! I think I'm going to like this place!!!

So what brought me here is the wifey’s most recent desire for another MINI for her “pretty weather†car to replace her ’06 MX-5/Miata. And she found said car on local cl.net, in fact – she had quietly been watching this car for 60+ days and brought it to my attention just last week. One 20 minute visit last Sunday to stare, kick the tires, and take it for a short drive, we now possess this ’08 S Sidewalk conv with automatic, two nearly bald tires, and 59K miles.

This will be my thread to track the car’s progress, share what I’m learning here (and elsewhere with my other car interests), and leave something for the next guy or gal who wants to freshen up their used MCS purchase.

Having said that, I drove this MCS into the shop for a month or so of updates, possible upgrades, and general tidying up what I think an eight year old BMW product (with unknown maintenance history) should have to stay in-shape and ready to face the world of commuting and general fun. (General fun for the wifey consists of shopping – so I envision the car full of wife stuff such as shopping bags, hair brush, 3 pair of sunglasses, and a box of random crate & barrel dishes rattling around in the trunk.)

First things first: remove 4 wheels to see what’s going on and use all my might and a 4’ cheater bar to remove 3 various lug bolts, Put the car on jackstands. Inspect the brakes, and look around under the hood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car is pretty clean but it has a few cosmetic flaws with small amount of rock chips and scratches. Overall, I’m satisfied with her find. I just need to do my thing in the coming weeks and have it 100 % road worthy for her.

[​IMG]

Interior is clean, but I will condition the leather, provide more detail work, and see if I can get the spilled Pepsi or whatever is all in the RH side HVAC buttons! Wifey wants mega-cup holder removed, and I agree it’s ugly. But we’ll see how she does in the near future with her own coffee cups. Yeah, things sometimes get spilled, and I to clean them! And I’m good with that! Garage work is fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Under the hood is okay. Nothing out of place, nothing oily or greasy on top – but haven’t inspected underneath to confirm no major issues as of yet. I will detail this area as I service the engine and tranny. Really want to clean and beautify the aluminum castings with their heavy oxidation too. That stuff is ugly.

[​IMG]

Tires and brakes. As mentioned, two Conti’s are down to the wear strip. Two rears have approx 75% tread. Need to confirm if I will proceed with set of 4 new tires – prefer other than Run Flats – or just buy 2 tires and run what I got…. Not sure, but I do want an improved ride versus what run flats will give her. Gotta see what these Contis are that I got. Two wheels, I believe, have some light scratches on their black painted finish. I’m not a big fan of the dark finish – but the wheels are obviously a part of the Sidewalk package – and the wife likes ‘em. Nuff said. They’re staying.

All brake pads have about 15% pad life remaining. I’ll take care of that along with cleaning up the rotors and replacing the fluid.

[​IMG]

First day’s business (because I don’t have any maintenance items as of yet – and I like a clean car to work on) is to go over it with a cleaner wax to help get any tar, bug guts, and tree sap off of this car. Again, it wasn’t bad and after several hours of applying elbow grease, it gets its bling back.

[​IMG]

Today is Sunday, and this afternoon I will inspect underneath, clean the interior, and share my thoughts on what direction I’m heading on servicing this 60K mile car. After having resurrected an ’04 E46 that was neglected and wouldn’t run more than 15 seconds with every key start at time of purchase, I think BMW/MINI use some inferior rubber and plastic components when it comes to longevity and durability – when compared to some Japanese Mazdas that I also “bring back from the dead†from time to time…

I look forward to your comments and advice on what you recommend as we dig into this refresh of a 2008 R52. I’m by no means a MINI expert – I just want to make good choices and do some good work on this car. I am glad to be here on Motoring Alliance – looks like my kind of place!!!

2. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Looks like it's gonna be an interesting project !!

3. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Car looks GREAT...I'll be following.:Thumbsup:

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'd look at replacing the rotors. If the pads are down to 15% then the rotors are probably too far along to stay over min spec for the life of a new set of pads.

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    First, welcome to M/A! Great looking R52 you've got there! Where in NC are you? We're in Hickory and always looking for nearby enthusiasts.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Welcome to M/A... I really like the brown seats with that color MINI...:Thumbsup:

7. walshe_ian

walshe_ian Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Sidewalk S - refresh & update a pre-loved convertible

Welcome, things I would replace, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, remove and acetone/flush intercooler as oil vents into it affecting cooling. Pulley belt. Are just a few things to check, also you could replace the fluid in the supercharge as that can thin out and cause future problems. enjoy

8. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Will watch, it should be fun to do so. Welcome and nice choice of a build project!

9. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Nice low mileage sidewalk! Have fun! Let me know if you need any help.

10. ToySnakePMC

ToySnakePMC New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Fuquay Varina
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    #10 ToySnakePMC, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Thanks fellas! Appreciate the hello and warm wishes here. I DEFINITELY like the advice on what to do so she may have many uneventful miles ahead of her with fewer possibilities for self-destructing transmission, supercharger, cooling system, or whatever else you recommend I look at while it's in for minor surgery.

Walshe – What is this intercooler flush you speak of? Wait – I will do a search here and the other site to see what I can uncover. I’m guessing you may be referring to the air-to-air getting blocked up with gunk, goo, and small debris… Definitely will be taking this MCS to “work mode†or whatever the term is for disassembled MINI in the next few weeks for just such fun and games. And the plan all along (a week, LOL) has been to service the supercharger and related components after reading how some have little to no oil inside...

Fuquay Varina -- Wake County -- just south of Raleigh. Hope to meet you sometime soon, Mr Jim. Wife and I are looking at booking a room near Robbinsville for upcoming MOTD. Maybe we will see you there???

And.., Sunday evening is upon us and the day never happened as planned. Imagine that! What did happen was helping my 81 yr-old dad load up a non-compliant JD riding mower on his trailer using our brawn and my wife’s brain. After that, I got a tip on a friend of a friend to call regarding the out-going Mazda… Called the out-of-towner, sent photos, brief specs, and then he set up a time and place to meet him… -- today. So, this MX-5 had been sitting since September and needed a quick detail before setting out for my hour drive for the rendezvous. And a 1/3 of the way into my trip, he calls to say he’s having other car issues – alternator problems on his Dodge truck and was turning around himself. He promises to call and set something up tomorrow. That’s fine. Hope he made it home okay. Regardless, I got the motivation to do more detail, take pics and post it up on CL.net.

Here she is – in her 110K glory. My first Mazda NC (3rd gen) but number 15 since Oct 1990. (….Yeah, I got a problem, but they’re fun to work on and revive – especially the 200K ones with ripped tops and “abandoned†by others!)

M3.jpg

So, here’s what DID get accomplished today on the R52: I ordered a LOT of MINI maintenance stuff! I anticipate a big box to arrive late this week with the following:
    • Ft & Rr brake pads (will double check rotors based on above thread comments!)
    • Brake pad sensors (have re-used these in the past on E46’s with success – going new on this one)
    • Air filter, charcoal cabin filter, oil filter, drain plug
    • Transmission filter, gasket, drain plug
    • MINI coolant
    • Brass bleed screw (will inspect all hoses and water pipes – little ones are expensive!)
    • Water pump and 2 o-rings
    • Thermostat housing and a thermostat with gasket
    • Supercharger oil
    • S/charger gaskets (front & rear because I don’t know proper terminology as of yet!)
    • A $1.86 intake man gasket – manifold to intercooler (because it’s a dollar and some change)
    • Throttle housing gasket & crank angle sensor o-ring
    • Drive belt kit with Conti belt, pulley, and sophisticated looking tensioner
    • 4 NGK plugs
    • 7MM wire set
    • 4 spark plug hole gaskets
    • Valve cover gasket
    • Oil Filter Housing Gasket (because the E46 ones become brittle as rock candy when the age)

Things that I know I need to purchase later:
    • Tires (2 or 4 – not sure) (leaning towards 4 non Run Flats)
    • Black Astro touch up paint for a few chips
    • Synthetic oil for engine, Royal Purple for tranny, p/s fluid…
    • O-ring for P/S cap on reservoir. (same as troublesome E46) (maybe a new reservoir or hoses too??)

I think that covers it for today. I’ll be dropping a lot of fluids out of this little chariot and cleaning her pieces and parts as I go along. Thanks again for the hello and I look forward to learning either as I go along or (hopefully!) just moments before I do something – thanks to YouTube and these forums for the instant knowledge and little to no retention. The retention thing is my issue – not yours!

11. walshe_ian

walshe_ian Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
  12. walshe_ian

walshe_ian Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
  13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  14. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    FWIW, I have a few extra quarts of Royal Purple ATF that I never used...

While you have it on jack stands, take a look at the front lower control arm bushings. They're usually toast, by that mileage.

Also, grab the top of the engine and try to move it forward to rear, hard. If it moves more than a few mm, you need some mounts.

15. ToySnakePMC

ToySnakePMC New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Fuquay Varina
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Paul, Nathan, and Ian -- Excellent links and good advice that I'll use to guide me along here. Appreciate it very much. And, I'll gladly buy your RP- ATF off of you. No reason to let that stuff sit around and collect dust if you're not going need it.

16. ToySnakePMC

ToySnakePMC New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Fuquay Varina
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Small update tonite with the arrival of 3 FedEx packages from the vendor. Everything arrived just fine despite a box that appeared as if fallen out of a third story window. Just filters and boxes of brake pads inside - all the goodies were A-okay.

Here's the stuff, and since I didn't win the PowerBall $1.5B lottery it looks like I'll be the guy putting these items in their proper places.

[​IMG]

17. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0

Oh yes, we'll be there for sure! Looking forward to meeting you both!

18. walshe_ian

walshe_ian Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Nice! It will drive like new, whilst you are at it why not stick a 15% reduced pulley on for a few money HP / Smiles

19. ToySnakePMC

ToySnakePMC New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Fuquay Varina
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Pulley is under consideration... Cannot believe that due to previous ice storm, work commitments, and travel schedule (24 Hr of Daytona, for one) have kept me away from the car for weeks. Oh, and realizing I needed the special eBay tool to release tensioner on the serpentine belt on the Sunday I wanted to begin the teardown...

I'll get back in action soon, or she-who-must-be-obeyed is gonna get real mad with me if she can't drive this Mini soon...

20. ToySnakePMC

ToySnakePMC New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Fuquay Varina
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Finally had some free time to spend in the shop and get some forward progress on this Sidewalk maintenance project – my first MINI job…

Having the car in “service mode†for the past month, the first hour in the shop on last Saturday was spent scratching my head and figuring out what the heck to do after about 3 weeks of not touching the car. (Had this been a NA Miata, I could stop and start anywhere, anytime and pick up where I left off. The Mini is somewhat foreign and the components and service work are not burned in the back of my brain like the Mazda Roadster is.. at least not yet! 

[​IMG]

So, I pulled the alternator off, intake piping at supercharger, various hoses, brackets, dipstick tube, and whatever else required to get the s/charger and water pump off the engine.

[​IMG]

I then separated the supercharger and water pump to drain the oil (which there was plenty of in both sides), shake & rinse fresh oil in both supercharger reservoirs, and eventually poured in appropriate amounts of AC Delco supercharger oil in the unit. Installed new seals and gaskets on supercharger, new water pump, and bolted this sub-assembly back together and on the side of the engine.

[​IMG]

Time to tackle the thermostat – just because… I had somewhat easy access with parts removed under the hood at this point so why not..? Yanked out ECM and air filter housing, unplugged stuff and removed thermostat housing to be replaced by new Mini items.

[​IMG]

New thermostat for side-by-side comparison. All looks fine. But went forward with installing new items for peace-of-mind with the wifey driving this car 90% of the time going forward…

[​IMG]

Have a new serpentine belt tensioner from Continental but decided to just throw on the new belt and idler pulley for now. Probably have to raise the motor up some to change out belt tensioner, but will save this job for later, I guess.

[​IMG]

Motor and related items are going back in the same day

[​IMG]

ALL IS BUTTONED UP and “everything†under the hood has been serviced – such as:
    Mobil Oil and Mann filter, various gaskets, plugs, new wires, etc…

[​IMG]

… So that’s where I am at for right now. Traveling this week, but plan to be back on task this Saturday!!!