Summer Repair+Maintenance build

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by drksilvermini, Jun 16, 2010.

1. drksilvermini

drksilvermini New Member

May 23, 2009
    Student at Northwood University
    Harrisburg, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 drksilvermini, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    Well summer is finally here and now that I am getting a paycheck with my summer job, it is time to do some repair and maintenance on my car. I'm not doing anything extreme, just thought I would document my process for fun and in case anyone would like to read about it. I am more than open to suggestions on things to do so if you have any, let me know! All of the repairs will be done by me and my mechanic (Porsche master tech) who is my buddy and owns his own garage for side projects. I am planning on taking pictures the whole way through the process. My R-53 has a good number of mods on it and now has 77k miles on it.

Here is my list so far of things to do...so far.
    1. Get my car into a body shop to repair the keying my car got (on both sides) as well as dent and window scratches done by some jerk up at school in Michigan.
    2. New tires-still have my winter wheels and tires on.
    3. Replace clutch and flywheel.
    4. Service the supercharger with one of those ebay repair kits.
    5. Detroit tuned BPV.
    6. New craven speed strut tower plates- getting rid of my m7 strut tower brace.
    7. Restyle my intake-purely for looks.
    8. Make an oil catch can.
    9. New supercharger belt.
    10. Replace all fluids including oil change.
    11. Magnetic oil and transmission drain plugs.
    12. Headlight and door handles wrapped in dark silver by Vinyl Styles.
    13. Replace any broken or worn parts seen during this whole process.
    14. Custom subwoofer box.
    15. Dynamat under rear seat and trunk.
    16. Seafoam my car- because that seems to be the latest and greatest thing since plasti-dip and carbon fiber vinyl.
    17. Make an air plate diverter like the M7-this is a maybe.
    And last but not least my favorite-
    18. Install a new horn I got in Japan that sounds like a loud gong!:D

Please feel free to make any suggestions about ways to go about these items or anything else I should replacing!

2. drksilvermini

drksilvermini New Member

May 23, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #2 drksilvermini, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    Here are pictures of my car as of a couple days ago. It is now in the body shop and should be out next week.
    DSC01473.jpg
    Winter wheels and tires...ugly

DSC01466.jpg DSC01467.jpg DSC01468.jpg DSC01469.jpg DSC01471.jpg DSC01472.jpg

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Wow, that hurts to look at. Hope you don't experience a repeat.
    Very nice color, but then I'm partial to Dark Silver.:Thumbsup:

4. drksilvermini

drksilvermini New Member

May 23, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it is painful to look at. This was actually 2 occasions dating back to October so it has been painful to look at everytime I walk to my car, I am so happy it is finally getting fixed! As far as a repeat I don't think it will happen because I lived in an apartment complex with a parking lot, I got a house next year with a garage:D

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Looks good. Don't forget to flush your power steering. Mine was nasty after 90k. And think about doing the fuel filter, too.

What's the consensus on replacing the throwout bearing? Only when it fails, or when a new clutch is installed?

6. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    this made me laugh my ass off. :lol:

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Both.........

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Install a new throwout bearing with a new clutch, you are in there already and it's a lot of work.

Install a new clutch if the throwout bearing goes bad, you have to pull the clutch to get there anyway and it's still a lot of work to get there.

9. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    If you are in there messing with the clutch.......you change that throwout bearing for sure!

10. drksilvermini

drksilvermini New Member

May 23, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am going to flush power steering along with all other fluids. I am replacing the throwout bearing. I got a slammin deal on a used flywheel (FREE) which came with throwout bearing. The flywheel has 50k miles on it but it still has all of its grooves and looks to be in really good condition. The clutch is brand new though, got it from mini mania when they had it on clearance for $40 shipped!

11. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Is there a how-to for flushing the power steering fluid somewhere?

12. orcadog

orcadog New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Camp Hill PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hit me up when you are ready to do the oil catch can. I've been wanting to do one to.

13. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    When I did it, it was basically this: jack up the car, suck out the old from the reservoir, fill with new CHF 11S, turn the car on and run the steering wheel lock to lock 10 times, repeat. It took about a can and a half to clear up the fluid. It's kinda like the coolant on this car, there's no easy way to do a true "flush."

If you wanted to get aggresive, you could disconnect the return line to the reservoir and clamp on a drain hose, then pour in new fluid as you turn the wheel side to side. That'd definitely take 2 people, one to pour and one to turn the wheel. Plan on at least 2 cans, though.

14. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good. Thanks!

15. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Don't spend big buck for an oil catch can. I got mine off of eBay for less than $40 and that included getting new rubber hoses at the parts store. Here is a pic of my install (disregard the red Alta can and red hoses, don't use it anymore and the god-awful strut bar is gone too.....LOL)

[​IMG]

16. drksilvermini

drksilvermini New Member

May 23, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not going to, I plan on making my own. I have seen a couple things online on how to make them for around $20 at most.

17. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    You need to read this thread:lol::Thumbsup:
    http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/detailing/909-how-i-clean-mini-engine-bay.html

Mark

18. drksilvermini

drksilvermini New Member

May 23, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #18 drksilvermini, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
    Good news and bad news...My car is supposed to be out of the body shop tomorrow! Bad news is my mechanic friend tried taking my Bridgestone Potenza re01r's off of my R90's to put my new Conti DWS on but couldnt get the re01r's off due to the really hard sidewall, I am having another tech try tomorrow and if he can't get it I'll take it to the BMW shop and have a tech try there, because their tire machine is a little different than at the Porsche shop.

19. drksilvermini

drksilvermini New Member

May 23, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well its been awhile...longer than expected but some progress has finally been made on my car. My car has been out of the body shop for a while now and is looking fantastic. Another tech was able to get the tires off and so I now have my R90's back on the car thank god- I cant stand the look of my winter wheels. My Conti DWS's seem to be working out great although they are a little loud over bumps but no complaints its no where close to unbearable.

I have decided to take a couple things off of the list, the supercharger rebuild (i'm figuring if it ain't broke, don't fix it) as well as the DT BPV (I'd rather save the $125 for something else at this point).

I did however replace all 4 rotors and pads. I had the TSW rotors and Carbotech pads and OMG were they AWFUL. I had them on for close to 2 years and they provided no good pedal feel, eveytime I got in the car the pedal had a different grabbing point. Everyone said that when they heat up they got better, well not in my case, they became much much worse when heated up, you had to slam that pedal to the floor to get the slightest braking power. And yes they were bled probably close to 10 times, had the brake booster replaced, had fluid changed 4 times, what a nightmare. So I replaced them with OE replacements and am in HEAVEN (and for only $200:)). MY CAR FINALLY STOPS!

I also had my new horn installed:D Its awesome, I will upload a video soon. I also had my oil changed and put in a magnetic drain plug, as well as new supercharger belt.

Slowly but surely my car is coming together. Next week the clutch job gets started.

20. drksilvermini

drksilvermini New Member

May 23, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well its been awhile...longer than expected but some progress has finally been made on my car. My car has been out of the body shop for a while now and is looking fantastic. Another tech was able to get the tires off and so I now have my R90's back on the car thank god- I cant stand the look of my winter wheels. My Conti DWS's seem to be working out great although they are a little loud over bumps but no complaints its no where close to unbearable.

I have decided to take a couple things off of the list, the supercharger rebuild (i'm figuring if it ain't broke, don't fix it) as well as the DT BPV (I'd rather save the $125 for something else at this point).

I did however replace all 4 rotors and pads. I had the TSW rotors and Carbotech pads and OMG were they AWFUL. I had them on for close to 2 years and they provided no good pedal feel, eveytime I got in the car the pedal had a different grabbing point. Everyone said that when they heat up they got better, well not in my case, they became much much worse when heated up, you had to slam that pedal to the floor to get the slightest braking power. And yes they were bled probably close to 10 times, had the brake booster replaced, had fluid changed 4 times, what a nightmare. So I replaced them with OE replacements and am in HEAVEN (and for only $200:)). MY CAR FINALLY STOPS!

I also had my new horn installed:D Its awesome, I will upload a video soon. I also had my oil changed and put in a magnetic drain plug, as well as new supercharger belt.

Slowly but surely my car is coming together. Next week the clutch job gets started.