2nd Gen R59 Roadster Metal bumper frame bent - what to do now?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by TG., May 3, 2014.

1. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    #1 TG., May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Long story short my wife drove over a curb and what now looks like she was stopped by a pole.

I'm pretty bummed. After removing the front spoiler I uncovered something I wasn't quite ready for. The crash prevention bumper frame got bent (see below). Now I know she hit the pole and that's what stopped her...
    I didn't know the damage until this morning when I went to replace the scrapped front spoiler. She just can't recall what happened which worries me a little. Before we thought she didn't touch the pole. Now it is obvious she did...

I really could use some support to help me decide what to do :sad:
    Nothing else seemed damaged. The IC got close though but it's not touching. All the painted body parts are okay which is amazing considering the bend.

What to do:

1: It looks like I could put everything back together and pretend it never happened. Visually nothing would really be noticeable. The main upper bumper metal frame has not been affected as far as I can tell.
    edit: I just put everything back together and you wouldn't know something behind is bent.

2: That all said I am a little concerned the frame has being hit enough that in case of an accident it could possibly reduce protection so I may have to change it, I'm not sure...

2a: The car is new from this last August and that's a real bummer. I could just take it to the dealer. Have them quote me the repairs and have our insurance take care of it. Ofcourse the car would take a real hit on its value :sad: and I would still have to pay for deductible.

2b: It looks like I could also entertain doing the work myself. It does't look too bad to do myself (I very manual) but I'm not familiar with removing the MINI entire front bumper and I'm not quite sure what I'd be getting into yet. Further more I'm having a hard time identifying the metal bumper part frame online and I'd need to find information on bolt torque numbers as well...

Anyway, can anyone chirp in and help me out decide what to do... :cry:
    What do you think I should do?
    2a
    2b
    Bumperdamage2014April23-wednesday_zps605d9c84.jpg Bumperdamage2014April23-wednesday-2_zps39cfa9cb.jpg

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    That section isn't even on the earlier year MINI's..... That lower bumper reinforcement #2 was added probably for added impact resistance... It's about a $300 part if you get new.... Not that big a deal to remove the bumper.... I can do it now in about an hour.... As you can see it's missing on #1

It just boils down as to whether it bothers you and if you want to spend $300.00.....

Check out the condition of both #5's as these are designed to collapse on impact..... depending on how hard the hit was...

[​IMG]

3. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    This is quite helpful but where did you find the schematic so I can get part numbers?

Where's the #5 located? Is that a member (that holds some of the bumper frame and is between the car chassis and the bumper?
    I think I may have checked that section and it didn't seem damaged as far as I could tell.

It's not very clear as to what is welded from what's bolted. it does seem that #2 is one whole welded piece.

4. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Real OEM Here..... RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog

Parts can be obtained from many of our good Forum vendors....

It's all welded up as a single unit... If you look closely you will see bolt holes.... Go to #1... Same part without the curved bottom bar... and you will see the fastener #'s 6,7,& 8, which are called out on the side of the picture...

"Where's the #5 located? Is that a member (that holds some of the bumper frame and is between the car chassis and the bumper?" YES

5. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    thx!

So weird It's the first place I looked on and couldn't find it in the list. It's probably located in a different section from the other body part section for what ever reason... or I din't realize there are multiple pages which I don't think there is. I look again :Thumbsup:

Would you know of a thread for the whole front bumper removal by any chance (all the plastic parts to get to the frame?

6. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    hA! found it. It's under the trim section rather than the bodywork. Not obvious :wink:

7. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    If you plug your VIN in the Realoem it will list the parts specific to your mini. Then save it to your bookmarks.... Then whenever you open Realoem, it will take you to your items...:D

Another trick... You can punch in the part number and it will list where that part is used on other vehicles.... Many times it's also used on a BMW.... So if a BMW parts department is more convenient to you than a long drive to a MINI dealership.... You win...:D

8. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    putting it in the book mark is a great idea so I don't have to always look for the VIN#. Thanks! :Thumbsup:

My MINI dealer is literally accross the street from the BMW so it won't help much :biggrin5: but good thinking.

9. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Isn't that a split weld?

[​IMG]

I think that would persuade me it was worth replacing something that can't otherwise be seen.

Here in Britain there are several dealers that have an online parts pricing facility on their websites - copy the part number from RealOEM and get an instant price. I regularly use one from a dealer at the other end of the country as it tells me what full retail price is at most dealers - I know mine will offer a discount on larger items if I ask, but it's very useful to know which ballpark the parts guy will be starting from.

Attached Files:

10. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I was able to get the part number from realOEM so I can price it.

Yes I noticed that immediately. It not quite clear if it's a weld or not. it looked like there are some tabs bent inward in addition to small localized spot welds. Maybe it is designed to split to absorb shock. I don't know . . . but you are correct, this is definitely making me want to replace it. At first I told myself that maybe I could bent it back, but after examining that area it very quickly dropped my confidence in doing so quite some.
    I pretty much decided I'm going to replace the all bumper brace frame.
    I just need to evaluate cost and go from there.

thx for your input :Thumbsup:

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Do it yourself..... You'll know your MINI better as a result and save some coin at the same time.... It's really not that difficult to replace.....

Besides.... It's a good reason to justify buying a Bentley repair manual....

Just do it.....:D

12. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I'm 98% sure I will do it myself :Thumbsup:

Don't know much about the Bentley repair manual . . . I'd have to wait a few years for them to get the edition that covers my car and be useful since it's under warranty for a few years :D but I'll keep that info in the back burner for the long run :cornut:

13. Xcmtber14

Xcmtber14 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I have a R56 bumper with no damage. If someone can chime in that knows if it'll fit the roadster then I could sell it to you cheap. If that's a route you'd be interested in.

14. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    TG.

Bentley manual is the only one to have. Gives detailed instructions on how to perform everything from routine maintenance service procedures to major surgery.

Got my used but very good condition paperback edition for $45 inc shipping off of e-bay:Thumbsup:

15. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    What model year is your R56?
    Is it an S?
    You're talking about #2 right?
    Why do you have it if it doesn't have any damage?

[​IMG]

16. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    99% of an R59 is R56. I don't think there's anything forward of the engine bulkhead that's different.

17. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
  18. Xcmtber14

Xcmtber14 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Woops, I didn't realize you were looking for the front, I have the rear.

19. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I'll keep it in mind :wink:

That's alright. Thanks for the attempt. it's much appreciated :cornut:

20. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    That's just the job - between RealOEM and eMINIparts you can build a whole Mini from spares.....