Mini Cooper Clubman Timing chain - Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Home Register Reviews Gallery M/A Store Library Support M/A Sponsors Clubs Garage Search Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums > General MINI Stuff > Starting Line

» Ad Links
Advertisement

Advert

» Ad
Register now to remove the above ad
Sponsor

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Stage 0 - Stock

Mini Cooper Clubman Timing chain

I have a 2010 Mini Cooper Clubman S. The timeing chain broke blowing the engine. I have never missed a service and i am trying to see if there are other instances of this. I did buy a 100,000 servive warranty with the car from Charleston Mini os So Carolina. I was lead to believe by the finance guy that delivered the car to me and whose job it is to sell that kind of junk( paint protector, wheeel warranties and the like) that this would cover this type of situation. My dealer in Dublin Ohio( They are AWESOME) informed me that this is not the case. They are trying to get BMW to fix it. I have never had a timeing chain do thjis and I keep my cars to 200 to 300k. Any suggestions floks?
Hickster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Stage 3

How many miles on the car when the timing chain broke?
What was the oil level in the engine? These cars are very sensitive about having enough oil, the oil level should be checked with every tankful of gas. If it was low on oil when it let go, it's your fault.

Do you have a copy of your extended warranty? Have you read it? Don't trust the dealer to tell you what's in the extended warranty.

Dave

Shade tree mechanic
DneprDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Founder

MINI has two different extended warranty products. One is an extension of the "free" service that includes oil changes, brake pads and the like that really an extended maintenance plan. The other is an extension of the vehicles warranty that should cover things like this. Might want to see which one you purchased. It's quite possible to get the two mixed up especially in the excitement of the Fiance Office when you are about to take delivery of your new car. You would certainly not be the first.

Dublin, OH ehh...Thats MAG. Are you working with Sam there? If not, ask to speak with him please. He will be your best advocate at MAG with MINI to get this covered.

Now I'm curious too, how did you hear of Motoring Alliance?

Also be sure to check out the Mid-Ohio Motoring area here on M/A. Come join us for donuts and tire kicking some time.
05r50 likes this.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Stage 3

Nathan,

You forgot to tell him that we are the "un-club" club. We just enjoy each other and DONUTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
MINI has two different extended warranty products. One is an extension of the "free" service that includes oil changes, brake pads and the like that really an extended maintenance plan. The other is an extension of the vehicles warranty that should cover things like this. Might want to see which one you purchased. It's quite possible to get the two mixed up especially in the excitement of the Fiance Office when you are about to take delivery of your new car. You would certainly not be the first.

Dublin, OH ehh...Thats MAG. Are you working with Sam there? If not, ask to speak with him please. He will be your best advocate at MAG with MINI to get this covered.

Now I'm curious too, how did you hear of Motoring Alliance?

Also be sure to check out the Mid-Ohio Motoring area here on M/A. Come join us for donuts and tire kicking some time.
05r50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

that's a bummer. We've seen several of these.

Let me know if you want to sell the car with the broken engine.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Stage 0 - Stock

I've done a bunch of these repairs at work. It most likely didn't break the chain but instead jumped time. Its possible that if the vacuum pump locked up it would shear the exhaust sprocket off and bad things ensue. However : it is the owners responsibility to check and top off fluids and tire pressure more often than you get your oil changed. BMW says that 1qt of oil consumption every 1000 miles is acceptable. And the oil pan only holds 4.5 qts. So with that math if you only get your oil changed when the dashboard tells you it makes sense that this happens, after all the timing chain tensioner runs off of oil pressure. If you run low on oil you can't build enough pressure.

This post is not against you in any way. Just letting you all know to check your oil more frequently.
r34king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Lost In The Weeds....

^^^ good analogy on the relationship of oil level / oil pressure / timing chain tensioner. Check that oil level.

Sitting in the third stall down, keeping extremely quiet while getting my M/A forum updates, and hoping management won't find me until after payday.
Metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Everyone I talk to agrees that 3,-5,000 miles max between Oil changes is best. There's just too much heat and pressure in these engines to keep even the best synthetic oil from breaking down before 15k miles. My Clubman now has 86k miles on it and I've started using Royal Purple 5w30 in it. The cars been running great and I think the average fuel economy has improved slightly. Any other oil recommendations?
RoadRoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Stage 1

Oil remmendations...

I can't agree more with most users stating frequent oil changes, are best for our cars. I must also mention Amsoil as a proven synthetic oil. I use nothing but Amsoil in all four of my cars, and have never had a problem. If you are interested, I am a supporting sponsor of MA and an Amsoil dealer. Everyone from MA pays wholesale pricing, so disregard what displays on my site.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
Stage 0 - Stock

Ill second royal purple that's what I use on my r53 with 97k on it. Amsoil is also great stuff
r34king is offline   Reply With Quote