Tire Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by lovinthecooper, Mar 2, 2014.

1. lovinthecooper

lovinthecooper New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm a newbie -- 2008 "S" and need to replace tires. Thinking about ditching the tubeless and just carrying fix-a-flat and a small compressor? Any thoughts/advice/experience or would you stick with run flats? Any brands/model of tires that stick well and give decent mileage. Many thanks for your time and advice.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site. :Thumbsup:

I ditched the "Run Rocks" long ago for regular tires. As for what tires I would recommend it depends on what you really want and where you live. Us in the NorthEast run sticky Summer tires and dedicated snow tires in the Winter.

I would say look up your car on Tirerack.com and see what they have to offer from the big manufactures. (Goodyear, Michelin, Continental Ect.) Conni DW are good tires. Michelins can cost more $$$ but they are worth it. Goodyear also makes some great tires.

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Trash the HEAVY run flats and get light non run flats. While you're at it trash the 24lbs MINI light weight wheels and get a good set of 14-16lbs true light wheels. You will have dumped 55-70lbs of unspung weight which gives you a free suspension upgrade in the deal. Me, I kept the best run flat and put it on one of the MINI wheels and it stands up nicely between the boot hatch and the rear frame brace along with the MINI jack. Others get 'doughnut' spares and still others do what you suggested.:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Same here, both my 07 Cooper S and the 09 Clubman had the Run Flats off within 2 months. I bought a spare for a 2005 4 cylinder Chevy Cobalt (4 cylinders have 4 lugs) for $45. A Honda Civic Spare will work too. Both of these are WAY cheaper than a factory spare. These are space saver spares I might add. The Cobalt spare will only fit the rear, but you wouldn't want to run with a space saver on the front anyway. If you have a flat on the front, you'll have to take the good tire off the rear and move it to the front and put the space saver on the rear.

It's a good idea to have a can of slime/fix-a-flat etc. Small compressors are good too. Maybe even a tire plug kit.

As a suggestion for tires, Dave alluded to Continental DW tires. A good alternative All Season tire would be Continental DWS, you get all season ability with little performance loss. If you don't mind softer/quicker wearing tires, I'm really loving my new Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions. Though I'm not planning on 25K miles outta them!

And oh yea! Welcome to the friendlier, happier MINI site.

5. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    Had Conti DW and was less than thrilled. Just had my third set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports installed. Previous car had Bridgestone RE960AS that have been superseded by the RE970AS in non run flats. I liked them.
    Just ordered Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP for wife's Countryman S All4 and am looking forward to seeing how they work.

6. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on both of our cars for non-winter driving. Stick like glue, quiet, and they handle water well. They are not all seasons for sure, so if you get caught in a deluge, you have to take it a little easy with them.

Had them on the R60 JCW most of the summer. Totally transformed the car compared to the Pirelli P-Zero RF's. Just recently had them installed on the new R56 JCW. Can't wait to see how that car handles with them when the pavement warms up.

They are definitely performance tires as they only have a 30k tread warranty...ouch...but worth it..

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I like Dunlop Direzza ZII (Star Spec 2's) for Summer tires, but most people don't want to buy a tire with a UTQG: 200 A A that only last about a year.

8. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I think experimentation is the key here and NOT those expensive [though fantastic] tires. The writer does not say what his/her financial load is, so expense could really be an issue. Also, since the writer does not state his/her location, I'd go with an all season just to be on the safe side, and get a Slime/compressor kit. There are great inexpensive all seasons at www.tirerack.com that won't break the bank and which will still get the writer around safely until he/she decides whether or not to invest in more wheels to fit those "other" season tires.

Kumho Ecstas and Fuzions are good all season tires on the cheap. If Tire Rack sells them, they have to be decent or T.R. would not risk their reputation.

Just MY perspective....

BTW, WELCOME to M/A and good luck in your search!

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A

Yes ditch the run flats. They cost a bunch & don't last worth a hoot. Plus they punish you with their ride quality, or rather lack of ride quality.

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^ I completely agree but I also think we all agree to ditch the Run Flats.:)

11. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Oops....lol Sorry, I was about to repost that which I had already written....

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ Senior moment eh? :D

13. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    actually, it was a senor moment....

14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Spelz chekz gotz mez againz..... :prrr:

15. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    Choices I listed aren't inexpensive, but the treadwear warranties do help control the costs after the initial buy in. I'm seeing right at $500 a set for tires, tax, road hazard warranty, disposal of old tires, mounting, and lifetime balancing for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Not too bad.

This is the initial purchase on the Primacy All Season Run Flats for my wife's Countryman so it did hurt a bit. Hope next time is less painful.

16. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I read "tires that stick well" with no cost containment or climate related verbiage, and I will lead them straight to the performance tire promised land every time :biggrin5:

17. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    #17 wmwny, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    "Tires that stick well" does not always mean high performance, summer tires. I've tracked the Kumhos at Mid Ohio and they do fine for an all season. They are V-rated. The Fuzions are also V-rated...haven't been tracked yet, but, they will probably be at the BMW CCA Great Pumpkin school at Mid Ohio this Fall.

As stated before, the writer does not say where he/she is from, and so, THAT is the purpose of my suggesting an all season. In other words, try driving in cold weather and rotten conditions with your "performance tire promised land" and your "every time" will happen just once!

18. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    For all season I like the DWS and it is proving to ware well also.

Stay away from the Falcons. Hard, noisy, and don't perform well at all.

19. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I just removed a set of DWS that had about 18K on them, they were down to the wear bars. Yes they were warranted for 50K, but as I didn't want another set of them I replaced them with some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 for $118 ea from Tire Rack with a $70 rebate on top of that.

(However, I put the same DWS on the wife's Audi the same day and with 16K her's look almost new - go figure)

The DWS were hopeless on a hot summer track BTW, I only ran them there once.

I had Kuhmo ASX before that and they were much better on the track, but they also only lasted about 20K - which is why I tried the DWS with their 50K warranty. (No, I didn't expect to get 50K out of them, but I did expect to go maybe 30K - I would have been happy with that)

Bottom line, if you want to do track days, get some summer only tires and save the All Seasons for the rest of the year. Where I live winter isn't that bad, so an All Season will handle the snow we get just fine....if I lived in Colorado or somewhere more north or where they get significantly more snow, I'd go the summer/blizzak route.

If you just want a street All Season tire, the Michy's look good at that price!

20. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I only run the all seasons on the track in late Fall or early Spring, because the weather is too unpredictable at that time to use summer tires. The Kumho ASX tires are fine for that. In the Winter, I don't track, but my MCS wears Blizzaks. From late Spring to mid Fall, my MCS uses Nitto Neo Gens during daily driving as well as on the track.