New to Mini Cooper

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by techfan, Apr 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. techfan

techfan New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Last night, I got a chance to drive a Mini Cooper at Carmax. I did not care much for their finance method of running my credit 5 times in one night so, I walked out. I am coming from a Toyota that I enjoy but is plagued with problems. I had a PT Cruiser before and a HHR as well as other American products along with a BMW.

I really enjoy the Mini both from the standpoint of the appeal and looks.

What am I getting myself into and what should I consider over the other? I am considering the hardtop model or the convetible. I was told to stay away from the turbo. I was reading online about people who are having horrific mechanical issues to include timing and thermostat problems. Then i hear some great victory stories as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

What year MINI?

Keep in mind, there are over 1/2 million MINIs in the US now, and what you read on the forums are people having issues. They don't post and say "my car ran great today".

3. techfan

techfan New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was looking at a 2010 but now considering the 2014.

4. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the coolest MINI forum on the net...........:cool:

I have had and seen Toyota's and Honda's with issues too....and they are considered extremely reliable. Like Nathan said people typically dont post "Car started and ran fine today"....If you are going to get a MINI...get the one that you feel the most comfortable in and have the most fun with..because that is what MINI is all about...Happy Motoring!

5. techfan

techfan New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. When I drove it, I fell in love with the car. So, when I buy one, I need to be under the impression that it maybe not be all that reliable. My toyota is not. I had to replace the top half of the motor at 25k.

6. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    There are plenty of trouble free MINI's out there...There are plenty of folks on here who have had NO issues with thier MINI's

7. techfan

techfan New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That is good news. I really do like the car. Is there something in particular I should stay away from when I am looking since I am looking at the conertible and hardtop as well as the S version.

8. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #8 cct1, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Obviously no one knows the reliability of the 2014, although it's already been recalled before it was released, which is ominious...

MINI as a brand isn't the most reliable car out there; this is an enthusiasts site, so you'll see many people denigrating the JD Powers and Consumer Reports data, but the truth is, both BMW and MINI aren't in the same league as Honda or Toyota. Not too many people on here or other MINI enthusiast's site are going to be negative; those that hate the car and had problems with it are long gone from here.

And that brings up another point--Toyota has great reliability, and you had problems with yours. So if you have a problem with a car, it's 100% fail, if you buy a car with poor reliability, and have no problems, it's 100% good. It's all or none...It just that your chances of a lemon are higher with a MINI than most other car brands.

Personally, if the MINI was going to be my ONLY car, and reliability was my primary issue, it wouldn't be first on my list. If you're dead set on a MINI, and if you have a dealer in town, then I'd consider it, but I wouldn't get the first year 2014, I'd get a late generation R56, with warranty left on it, and wait at least a year into the 2014 cycle; the track record of 1st year new generation models with the MINI is less than stellar.

If you're buying the MINI as a second car, and the potential issues aren't going to kill you from a convienence standpoint, then go for it--short of a Lotus, it's the most fun lower HP car out there to drive, and it's quirkiness is unmatched (and I mean that in a good way).

As for Hardtop versus Convertible, doesn't really matter, the convertible problems of the first generation have been hammered out. S versus Base, the S has more things that can go wrong with. They're both great cars, but I prefer the power of the S over the base.

Not trying to burst your bubble; they are great cars in the right application, and the community is even better--just trying to be realistic.

9. techfan

techfan New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your honesty. Yes it will be a replacement to the primary car that I drive so, I am not sure exactly how I feel about the risk. I have bought some cars that were much worse than average by consumer reports that turned out to be decent cars but, then again, some that were not decent.

After owning a Venza for the last 3 years, the Mini has always caught my eye. After driving it last night, I was very excited about it. Its really between the Mini and Mazda3.

Sounds like I might be better off with a 2013 and steer away from the 2014 for awhile or, maybe keep my trade for another year and then revisit the Mini Cooper.

10. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    IMHO you just hit the proverbial nail on the head--good luck with your decision. If you opt to wait a year, you can still join the community, and you'll be welcomed with open arms--there are many people who "hang out" here for a year or even longer before buying a MINI, and many people who don't own a MINI, or used to and still check in. Either way, it's all good!:Thumbsup:

11. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I've had two over the last 6 years as my primary driver. They have had some rattles and niggling issues, but in 100k miles I've never been stranded. Except when I caused it by trying to work on my own car. That's not to say I haven't dealt with some issues, but none serious enough to be a real problem.

So as long as you know they are not drive them, neglect them and they beg for more like the average Honda, you'll be fine.

If you get one, love it, drive it, kiss it, but check the oil - regularly. And don't forget.

A guy I work with went from a 2001 corolla that used a quart of oil every tank, and hadn't been washed in 2 years to a 2010 clubman recently. He loves it. And is Willing to pay the requisite attention to it because its that much fun. You probably will to. So buy one. You won't regret it. But do it with eyes wide open.

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to M/A! I thank a 2013 would be fine. I don't know how much your in to performance but if you are I would get a S. Yes you can have trouble with the turbos but if you take care of it you should be fine. I have a 2002 S (first gen CooperS were supercharged), I bought it in 04. It is my dally driver. I almost got a cooper, but Performance is a high priority for me so I'm glad I held out for an S.

With a MINI your not buying a car, your getting a pet that eats petrol.
    Good luck.

13. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    In my family we have owned a total of 7 in the past 3 years and no major issues so far. Good luck and welcome to m/a

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site. :Thumbsup:

15. Ujin

Ujin Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Male
    Simpsonville, South Carolina
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! My 2006 R53 started (twice!!) and ran hard several times today...:)

16. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Just to prove Nathan wrong, I have a 2009, 2nd generation, Base (Justa) Mini. I am coming up on 98K, with NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM and I change the oil at the recommended interval. :Thumbsup:

17. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!
    I have not had a single problem with my MINI, it runs great!

Dave

18. Gramps

Gramps Active Member

Oct 25, 2012
    US Army Civilian at Fort Sam Houston
    Boerne, Texas
    Ratings:
    +90 / 0 / -0
    I am on my second MINI, no problems with either. The first (2002) was a daily driver, never left me stranded. The second (2006) is not my daily driver but is as reliable. Good luck!

19. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Or get an GEN1 05-06 R53 (Super Charger), GEN1 06-08 (VERT-Super Charger)...these should come down in price with the new GEN3 2014 coming out next week.

20. Austinsynthetics

Austinsynthetics Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    Amsoil Distributor and Registered Nurse
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    IMO, I've now had two Mini Cooper S models with the turbo. My first was a 07 and I burned a valve due to carbon build up....poor PCV system in the N14 engines. My new one is a late model 2012 with the N18 engine. So buy a 2012 or later with N18 engine, buy from a Mini dealer with a warrantee of 6yr/100,000. I LOVE the turbo, still gets great gas mileage and will always have a Mini! Motor on!!!