Valve Gasket and Engine Light issue

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by haumea, May 22, 2014.

1. haumea

haumea New Member

May 22, 2014
    Northern California
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I'm new to this site. I have a 2009 Mini S for the past 2 years. Been problem free. A couple months ago during a maintenance check up we were told the valve housing has a leak, no noticeable leak the hoses, do leaking of oil noticeable. The engine came on, on Monday flashed once and held steady. The car started very rough and of course I was leary of driving it and called the dealer. Dealership has indicated that there is carbon build-up on the valves. They have replaced the gasket which was covered under the Hendricks Extended Warranty. Now they are recommending to blast the carbon on the valves as this should be the solution. Service manager is indicating the this is common for the Mini S. Has anyone had this issue with carbon build-up? We use Shell or Chevron in car although I am second 2 owner from same dealership. I am concerned with comment of this is common. This is a not a cheap common issues it's over $900.00 Can anyone shed light on this if you have had the issue? I did not see the code, nor did I know where to look for the code. I almost want to trade this car in.

2. jcauseyfd

jcauseyfd New Member

May 25, 2009
    Graham, NC
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Carbon build up is inevitable on the direct injected engine found in MINIs (and other manufacturers) because no fuel is washing over the back of the valves. You should probably consider this a maintenance item and plan to have it done on a regular basis like 50 - 70l miles. An independent shop can do it for much less. Luxury Auto in Raleigh charges somewhere between $350 and $400.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! Sorry to hear about your trouble, but jcauseyfd is correct.

4. haumea

haumea New Member

May 22, 2014
    Northern California
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the update. Unfortunately that blasting part is quite costly here in California at the dealership. I just thought it was rather soon for this, subsequent to that it's not covered of course by the extended. We gave them the go ahead to blast, I hope that solves the issue. Thanks for the tip.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site. :Thumbsup:

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

7. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the coolest MINI forum on the net.........:cool:

Shop around on the carbon blasting.....See if your local delaer can help you out on the price....It's worth a shot to ask again ...and again...untill they help you out.

8. haumea

haumea New Member

May 22, 2014
    Northern California
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,
    Carbon blasting is done and car was driving good, this was 2 weeks ago when I posted originally.
    I also addressed a leak which my girl had to get towed in again to fix the oil housing gasket and a leak in the oil line to turbo something? This was covered.
    I have had the car back 48 hours now, yesterday I had my hubby drive it to work as he works 67 miles from home. He said car drove great. He came home parked the car,locked our gate and noticed no power to the car no lights etc., car would not start so he had to pull out the key while the fob stayed stuck. So am I assuming here that it's the battery??????? I woke up just now went outside there was enough juice to open the car, it tried to start but died out, there was no light indicators. am I missing something here?

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Yep sounds like a bad battery. MINIs can do very odd stuff when the battery goes bad.

10. haumea

haumea New Member

May 22, 2014
    Northern California
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you. It's my luck Friday the 13th. Especially it's been in and out of the shop in 3 weeks. Again, luckily the other issues were covered except the carbon blasting but crap. I have a long distance drive from NoCal to San Diego in 45 days and Augh I'm getting leary. What is the normal time frame for change of battery on a mini anyway? It's an 09 and it's the original battery

11. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Most stock batteries last 3 or 4 years....so sounds like you are due!!
    Battery should be tested to ensure it is the problem...but testing is usually free....
    Used cars can be interesting....

12. haumea

haumea New Member

May 22, 2014
    Northern California
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay need some advise, our mini took the jump it started and it didn't power off like last night. Hubs turned car off, waited 30 minutes went to start mini did start. My concern is he drove home 67 miles from work and then powers off??? So it appears not the battery?

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    No it can still be the battery get it checked. Also make sure all battery connections are clean and tight. Make sure that the positive battery cable bolt under the hood it tight, this is a known problem spot. MINIs can do some very wears stuff when a battery is going bad. Pluse if you jumped it and let it run for a few minuets you just put a service charge on it. If the battery has a bad cell it will not hold a charg and will not recover correctly after a load is put on it. This is why you still need to have the battery checked. Most part stors do it for free.

14. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    The only way to know for sure is to have the battery tested. Take it anywhere they sell batteries and have them test it.

Dave

15. haumea

haumea New Member

May 22, 2014
    Northern California
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What recommendations of a good battery do you folks recommend? Please advise. Husband wants recommendations on long wear battery. Thanks.

16. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Hard to buy a "bad" battery these days....
    Batteries like optima "red top" , orbital, and several "premium" battries have a different connstruction...tend to last longer than a flooded cell type.

17. haumea

haumea New Member

May 22, 2014
    Northern California
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you all. So as I sit here car less today :( Was hoping to drive down to the beach today. Oh well

18. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Go have a battery put in (if it needs it)....so simple.. ..an off the shelf part!!
    It is crappy and drizzlely gloomy up here....lol..wish it was sunny!!

19. haumea

haumea New Member

May 22, 2014
    Northern California
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone, sorry I'm so new to Mini well we got her a few years ago and it was the same dealer that had an original leaser on it and felt comfortable she's a good car. Just these past 3 weeks was more than I bargained for. $$$
    So it was the battery, unknown to me as I have never looked under the hood although it does go in for service......there is an indicator light and it was black. So the question remains would at service spot check the battery to advise? I mean I have an AudiA3 and a Toyota Tundra and we are always well informed of battery use.

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I'm not sure what the question is. But if you mean should the service department have checked battery, the answer is no. Usually it is only checked if their is a problem.
    I'm glad the battery got you going agin. Just keep the date you bought the battery and when the service time is up it will be time for another battery.