HELP with R53 S slave cylinder replacement/bleeding

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by MKMotorist, Aug 9, 2014.

1. MKMotorist

MKMotorist New Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,

I followed agranger's directions on how to properly replace and bleed the clutch slave cylinder. I did both bleeding by using the power bleeder that I purchased under the direction of his article, AND did the 2 man bleed on the system before mounting it. STILL NO PRESSURE ON THE PEDAL! I don't know what else to do in order to solve this problem. I've looked at many other articles to try and find answers. Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Did you get fluid out of the bleed valve an how much?

3. MKMotorist

MKMotorist New Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes. I got fluid out of the bleed valve. I had someone press down on the pedal and bled it according to the instructions. So I took it into a shop and they said they got it working BUT now they're saying my clutch is going out. When I drove it last week the clutch itself felt fine so I don't know what's going on with it.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeah bleeding that slave is a B*@#H so I took mine to the Dealership and had them both done (Master and Slave) at the same time for $300 including parts. In and out in less the 2 hours. :Thumbsup:

In my case "my time & no frustration" was worth the $300.

5. MKMotorist

MKMotorist New Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Reply to Dave

Dave.0

Did they just replace the slave cylinder and bleed both for $300?

I just got my car back from the shop and they charged $150 to bleed the system and I still have no pressure in the pedal/it's hard to shift. The mechanic said my clutch is going out, but before replacing the slave cylinder, I had no issues with the clutch itself. He told me the pedal would self adjust after a few days. I call bull ****. So I'm just wondering if I need to replace the clutch master cylinder as well. I'm not sure if that's something I want to tackle on my own.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I had both changed (Master and Slave) and whole system bleed for $300 (Pats and Labor) at a MINI dealership.

7. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I find that this method works great for these situation:

*Unbolt slave cylinder from transmission (leave fluid line connected)
    *Hold slave cylinder vertical (fluid line connection at the highest point)
    * DO NOT open bleeder
    *slowly push piston fully compressed
    *let piston extend fully on it's own
    *slowly push piston fully compressed

repeat the compressing/extending the piston a few times. This will fill the slave with fluid and force the air up thru the line and out the reservoir. Just be sure to leave a little extra space in the reservoir so that the fluid doesn't overflow when you push the piston fully compressed.

This method has never failed me.

Jason

8. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Yea! I'm glad to see that the instructions are providing some use to folks!

Yes... this process is A *****! I swear that I'd do it 10 times in a row, the exact same way every time, with 9 failures then, all of a sudden, BAM! It works. I usually had to do both methods... I seemed to get a good result with the 2-man STOMP method (the more violent the clutch press, the better) to get 95% of the way there, then the pressure bleeder to get the last 5%.

Just keep at it. At some moment of extreme frustration, the clutch fairy will look down upon you and say 'enough', and it will work.

Aaron