Hello! I need help with continuous squealing noise!

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by BrandonSeak, Sep 8, 2014.

1. BrandonSeak

BrandonSeak New Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I own a 2002 Mini Cooper S

First off I paid a supercharger manufacturing company to rebuild my super charger because my old one was rattling. The rattling was due to the PTO gears eating itself up, I believe it was called the PTO gears. In any case, I took apart the car myself and removed the supercharger then sent it in to get rebuilt by this company from ebay. The supercharger came back and I was excited as ever to throw it back in the car.

After I was done assembling the car back together and started the car, there was a loud, continuous, high-pitched squeal coming from the car. I asked some friends and they said it might be the crankshaft pulley or the power steering because my car finally ran out of power steering fluids. I poured in the power steering fluid as needed. I then proceeded to turning the steering wheel slowly until it reached the end of each direction. Started the car and the squealing was still there. The belt seems aligned onto all the pulleys. My friend then proposed that it I didnt time the belt with the light tool thing. But I searched up other cars that had timing problems and their cars sounded completely different from mine. The sound seems to be coming from the supercharger. Is there supposed to be a period where the car adjust to the new supercharger or something of that sort? Should I have lubed something? I dont really know but i would like to ask for all of your help as soon as possible! Please and Thank you! :nonod:

Here's a link to the supercharger company on ebay if anybody was curious:

Fully Rebuilt Factory Mini Cooper s 02 07 supercharger Send in and $Ave | eBay

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Does the supercharger have oil in it? If you didn't check it, maybe send a quick note to the rebuilder to see if they fill it before shipping or not.

There is no timing of the supercharger, so no worries there.....could the squeal be from the idler pulley or tensioner pulley bearings?

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    EBay sc place...was it in "old towne Florida?" With an unlimited mile warrenty?
    Another member a few months ago tried two from there....and finely bought a 3rd from a decent rebuilder...and he is selling the 2nd unit as a core to get rebuilt...he gave up...their units are junk....
    Hopefully you used the right pertrosin PS fluid ( it is incompatible With std PS fluid).....

One thing you can try...take the Belt off...run the car for a minute or two max..it will overheat fast)...but long enough to check for a squeel with no sc running.....

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Yea ZippyNH is correct you must use Pertrosin fluid you can get it from a mini dealer. You have an electric power steering pump. the belt is not connected to the pump. There is no timing on a new MINI. I don't mean to sound harsh but I don't thing your friend knows minis very well. I would suspect the rebuilt SC. But you should change the tensioner and idler pull at the same time(you can get these at Amazon). Do you have the stock SC pulley on it if not you may have the wrong size belt.

5. BrandonSeak

BrandonSeak New Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @minidave

The supercharger does have oil in it. It might be the idler pulley or tensioner pulley, i'll have to check those out.

@ZippyNH

I used the petrosin CHF 11S as stated in the owner's manual. I'm not quite sure how that would work but i'll try it

@MCS02

yeah my friend doesn't know anything about minis but I figured it wouldnt hurt to ask him lol. Yes i do have the stock pulley on the SC. I didn't replace the belt because it did not seem worn out.

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Make absolute sure you have the belt on correctly, and that all the ribs on the belt are aligned correctly with the grooves on the pulleys.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Also check the crank pulley and make sure your belt is on correctly.

See below:

Attached Files:

• Belt.jpg
      Belt.jpg
      File size:
      10.1 KB
      Views:
  8. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Do you know the belt # you used?
    And if the sc pulley is stock sized....most likely not on a rebuilt unit...using a stock belt on a reduction pulley will give you a squeal....it is too loose...
    A "JCW" stock belt with a 15% reduction is OK for a few months, but a 535 length belt (us sizing system) is better...if it is a 17% reduction, I'd go with a 532...harder to get on, but IMO worth it...
    Both sizes assume a stock sized crank damper...

Looked at the link you provided on eBay...hopefully it is a different rebuilders...not just a higher price with some glowing info about how good they are....unfortunately very few places rebuild the mini m45 sc right...it is unique in some ways.....
    My suggestion to run it for a few seconds without a belt is just to verify the issue is from the belt side...if you are sure, skip it.
    You can try a mechanics stethoscope (or a section of hose or even a broom handle) to isolate the item making the noise...
    I HOPE it is a simple belt issue...

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Please let me just add for the 1 millionth time EATON DOES NOT make a rebuild kit for the M45 Supercharger. The M45 Supercharger is made by Easton.

You are better of buying a used one with some mileage on it then buying some 3rd party 1/2"Rebuilt" unit.

If you are lucky and have the $$$ you can sometimes fine old NEW stock units.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok go get a new belt. do not use the old one. I agree with Dave.0 check the crank pulley I should of said that too. I have an 02 S. About 6 months ago I pulled my SC off to replace the oil. I replaced my belt tensioner, idler pulley and crank pulley(With a ATI). If thats the original crank pulley you are on borrowed time. If the rubber around the crank pulley is cracked replace it. If the tensioner is more than a year old replace it.

Did Dave say for "1 millionth time EATON DOES NOT make a rebuild kit for the M45 Supercharger" if not just ask.:lol::lol::lol: Its true.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    where are our manners? Welcome to MA!:D

13. Code3_Mini

Code3_Mini New Member

May 8, 2014
    Full-time Military, part-time headbanger
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    Also, make sure it's indeed a Mini you're looking at. I have heard that the FR-S' do that ;)