Won't Start

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by andymac, Sep 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. andymac

andymac New Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi to all, first post. I have tried unsuccessfully to clear airbag warning light using a recently purchased maxiscan MS309.No codes showed on tool , I pressed to delete codes (this may have been wrong ).engine would still start .Read on forum , to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes,tried this ,now engine won't start ,all that happens is a clicking sound. the windows open and close , radio works and doors lock
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Andy

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

Does it turn over, just won't fire? Did you get the connections tight?
    What model and year do you have?

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    I'm guessing that having you key in the "on" position ran the battery down a bit...
    Likely battery was on its last leg....
    You could try charging it, or jumping it from another car/battery.

Welcome!!

4. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    welcome to MA.

If you have a multimeter what does the voltage read across the battery terminals?

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

6. andymac

andymac New Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for replies , yes it was the battery , charged and now starting . still have problem with airbag warning light , any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. the car is a 2002 mini cooper.
    Thanks Andy

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I have a 02 S and my light has been on for some time it's the wiring in the seat. A lot of guys use a time proven method to fix this problem. It's kind of hi tech. A peace of black. The other method is to put a resister on the plug under the seat. Other than that I believe you have to take apart the seat or replace it. One of the other guys can explain the resister method.

8. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Yeah...
    Get a code...
    That will point to WHERE the failure is...
    Could be a simple plug,a seatbelt pre tensioner, or an airbag issue...
    The resistor method will only trick the computer on the failed circuit (after you determine WHICH ONE) into thing there is no issue...but the problem will be there...leaving a HUGE safety issue.....since the airbag/item in question is nonfunctional...but no light....
    So many cars are getting parted out...fixing stuff is more about time than $$..still not cheap...but $$.
    One tip...my insurance company, USAA, for a time would fix airbags for free for customers...not sure they still do...but hey are such an import safety item, and make modern cars so much safer, just hiding the issues with a resistor is a potential disaster, and lawsuit waiting to happen, especially if the car is sold....

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I don't believe the early gen 1 cars had a seat sensor and the seat sensor is the most common reason for the light. It sounds like a much more severe of a problem.

10. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Correct...
    The seat mat/sensor started with Jan 2005 production cars...when the mandated DUAL stage airbags for the passenger seat was introduced (to make front passanger seat safer for folks under 100 lbs if not wearing a seatbelt...)....moot point cause the resistor does not work on that issue...
    But many cars had issues with the wiring connecting to the underside of the seat being too short...push the seat back...the connector get jiggled..light goes on..my car had this issue once..fixed under warrenty...but could be anything causing the light...hopefully your airbag tool can get the code...not just clear the light.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I had my passenger seat fixed under warranty. When it came back I believe they said it was in the wiring harness. It's a known problem. If it's in the harness I'm told it's hard to fix.