First post - and trouble already

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by MNMiniDriver, Sep 20, 2014.

1. MNMiniDriver

MNMiniDriver New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

Been an off and on lurker for years, but now I could use a little help.

I'm driving a 2005 Cooper S (R53?).

A couple of days ago, I all of a sudden had most of the dash warning lights go on and lost power steering. Was headed home so just parked it while scratching my head.

The next day I needed to run a short errand, so took the car knowing I wouldn't have far to walk if I got stranded. Lo and behold, everything was fine.

3 or 4 miles in, the same thing happened all over again. Got to my destination and tried to start the car. Nothing. Went and did my errand, came back out, and the car started, again, everything was A-OK. a mile or two and the lights came on again and again, the power steering went.

Made it home, but now the battery light was burning brightly along with all the others (ABS, Tire, etc, etc.)

I was thinking serpentine belt, hoping against hope that it wasn't the alternator ($$$). But the belt at least seems OK, and just now checked the battery - which gave me a whopping 15-20 volts with the car off (I thought with the car off, it would be right at 12, or waaay low, with all the other stuff happening). Battery light is still on. Ran the car and checked the battery again, no discernible difference in voltage.

If it was the alternator, wouldn't the battery be pretty low by now? Same for it it was the serpentine belt?

Ideas? Things to (easily) check. I'm a sometime mechanic and don't have a ton of tools.

Thanks in advance...

-Ed

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

How old is the battery. They don't last more than a few years usually and when they start to go all kinds of bad things happen.

3. MNMiniDriver

MNMiniDriver New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome!

Battery is nearly new ~1 year. Posts are clean.

4. MNMiniDriver

MNMiniDriver New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just left lights on for a few minutes to get rid of the surface charge. Now battery reads near 12 volts with the car off. But now the thing will not crank to start.

And an odd, rhythmic clicking coming from the engine with key disengaged and out of the ignition. (injectors??) Dash lights still work.

5. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Best battery for R50/R53?

6. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    water in the boot?

Hi and welcome - Was there any standing water down in the battery box lately? My 2004 did some very strange stuff when the box didn't drain and had a lot of water in it. It has behaved well after clearing the drain and cleaning up all the fuse block stuff in the box.

7. MNMiniDriver

MNMiniDriver New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Interesting idea, but nope. Dry as a bone.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Most will go with either the Optima red top or a lead acid Diehard/equivalent .

9. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Check under the hood in the small plastic box on the firewall that houses the positive jump start terminal. These have been known to come loose and cause the symptoms that you describe. If not loose, I vote for the battery.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I second CHKMINI! The only way to know if the battery is good it to have it load tested. Most auto parts stores can do it for you.

Welcome to MA!

11. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Interstate battery here. A perfect fit with no issues.

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site. :Thumbsup:

It all ideas above fail to be an issue have your main crank pulley looked. Depending on your cars milage and if it's still the OEM your crank pulley may be separating and about to fail.

FYI ~ you do not want it to fail while driving. :nonod:

13. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Crank pulley was one thing I was thinking also.
    When they start failing, symptoms can be very erratic, depending on what accessories aren't being driven consistently by the belt (alternator, supercharger, water pump) and how hard you drive.

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup I was thinking the OEM crank damper is ok when cold as the rubber is hard. Then as the car gets warm it starts to slip causing all kind of issues.

15. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Tried both. The alternator & the damn crank pulley failed on separate occasions.
    Alternator symptoms: batt light on; AC/cooling fan/powersteering gone; temp shoots up.
    Cure: Rebuilt w/ Denso core from some Toyota found in a salvage yard. Same rating, same shaped core, fits the MINI Denso shell perfectly. Twas a fluke experimental fix. Amazing discovery.
    Crank Pulley symptoms: batt light on; AC/fan/powersteering gone. Batt light goes off when AC off. Burnt rubber smell. Temp shoots up.
    Cure: ATI Super Damper

Make sure you won't overheat.
    Both fixes are DIYable. Not easy, but very doable. Hope you hunt it down.

16. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Good idea. Since this will be hard to see happening, just put a witness mark from the center of the pulley to the outer edge. Drive for a while (a few days) and look to see if the mark is still a straight line.

17. MNMiniDriver

MNMiniDriver New Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The positive jump start terminal seemed fine. Have not had the battery load tested yet.

But I have tried starting the car. Now I get a rhythmic click-click-click, and the driver's window goes down about an inch with each click. There is enough juice left in the battery to power the window back up and closed again.

Can't make this stuff up...

And thanks everyone, for the welcome.

18. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Gremlins dude.

19. willzone1

willzone1 New Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi MNMiniDriver,
    Same car here, had the same issue a year or two ago. For me it was an issue with the power steering pump cooling fan. It's a part that has been recalled now because so many of us have had the same issue. Hit up a dealer and they should fix it for free, if that's what it is!

20. walshe_ian

walshe_ian Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Find so one with a scanguage and check fault codes