New Mini Owner and Operator

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Atlys, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Atlys

Atlys New Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hello, and thanks in advance for any advice provided! I recently bought my first Mini Cooper and its an '09 Clubman S. I loved it when I first drive it, which I stayed local and didn't take it to the highway. I only drive for about 10 minutes. Now that I've had the car for 2 weeks, I have concerns that were not present at first.

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
    Automatic with DSV, and Sport with manual paddle shifters.

1. Noise Level, this is minuscule. The cabin is VERY noisy while on the interstate and it almost sounds like the sun roof leaks air, it doesn't, but is this normal?

2. Deceleration. When slowing down, going from 3rd to 2nd gear is really rough. I don't use the paddle shifting, and I've read that this is normal due to BMW creating a more "dramatic" driving experience. It feels Torque-Y like its shifting to soon and the RPMs are still high.

3. Acceleration/Deceleration. When I accelerate then let off of the pedal the car makes a strange clicking or popping sound near the front passenger tire. Not sure what this is...Only happens when it's cold (we have no snow or ice, temps have been about 35 degrees).

4. Temperature, I've noticed that the hood of the car gets EXTREMELY hot near the hood vent/scoop. I read elsewhere that this is due to the turbo being located there and that potentially a larger blow off valve would help reduce temperature? I have no clue, and it only happens while driving on the interstate (80MPH)

5. Engine noise. The engine is rather loud and ticks a little bit. I read that this is due to lower octane gasoline (the dealer used regular). I now have premium in it but the noise is still there...

Are these things normal?

Also, what are the buttons on my rear view mirror? Three buttons under the left side.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M\A the FUN MINI site.

Sorry I can not help with you Clubman questions since I have a first gen MINI but. Some one should be along soon to assist you.

FYI ~ if you add the year mini and milage you have on your MINI to your Siganture it will help others that don't completely read everthing in a post befor they reply.

Welcome again and enjoy.

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!

4. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Welcome. I can't answer all of your questions, but the buttons under the mirror should be your homelink buttons - for your garage door opener. As for the heat under the hood, I think that is "normal." I can't see how a blow off valve would help that.

Soon others that are more versed in the gen 2 cars will chime in. Enjoy the car!

5. Atlys

Atlys New Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone!

As for the Blow Off Valve...I read that it releases pressure and allows cool air in or something along those lines. Basically, through scouring the web, I've seen several of these issues noted elsewhere from other owners and they all seem to be unanswered except the hard downshift and the heat..haha. I'm new to Mini's 100%

As far as the BoV goes, I was under the assumption that they are mostly for bigger turbos, relieving pressure from higher levels of boost and making the sound, but what I read was an entire discussion on how an atmospheric BoV as compared to the stock re-circulatory one releases the hot air.

I know a bit about cars and engines in general, however, I've always dealt with 2000 models and older, and typically nothing that is high performance.

6. Atlys

Atlys New Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Testing Signature...

7. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!

1) I'd say deal with it. It's still 100 times quieter then the first gens are this time of year in the northeast winters.

2) are you driving in Sport mode all the time? Could be a result of the changes in shift points due to that.

3) How many miles are on it? Sounds like it could be either a wheel bearing or CV joint on its way out.

4) Get a radiant heat shield mat and some super strong magnets. That is the most cost effective way to reduce the hood temps. The BOV is not going to help cool the turbine. And for the love of all that is holy/devine.... don't waste your money on one of those plate style heat shields. 1 - they don't work for what you want. 2 - they will lead to the accelerated death of your turbo charger. If you want more info on this... send BRGPaul a PM.

5) Check your oil. Check it often. Keep it at proper levels. #princeengineproblems

Most are sorta normal. The buttons are most likely the convenience package gizzy that includes a universal garage door opener and some other doodads.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Oh one thing about road noise if you still have the OEM runflats "run rocks" they tend to be noisy and harsh on the road vs regular non- runflat tires.

Oh I also run the highest octane fuel I can buy to keep my fuel system and injectors clean.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

10. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,017 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance !!

11. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Aboard!

The 56 is quieter than a 53. You could have some air leaking around the sunroof. Check to make sure it's closing all the way and the seals are clean. Echo Dave's run flat noise statement. If you want to make it quieter I used this. GTMAT Automotive Sound Deadener Dampening Dynamat/Fatmat Alternative Great price and it works great too.

For under hood temps Savvy has it. You can get heat mat of different sizes and effectiveness here JEGS Performance Auto Parts - Holley - Billet Specialties - Edelbrock - MSD - Moroso - Mr Gasket - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS. Bigger POV are for bigger turbos and do nothing for cooling. They are to regulate boost pressure.

12. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!

Blow off valves (BOV's) dont regulate boost pressure, that is what the wastegate does. The purpose of a BOV even the stock one is just to vent pressure suddenly when the throttlebody closes... Thats its only purpose, and has nothing to do with temps either.

Dont know anything about MINI's automatic trannys so I cant help you there.

As for all the little noises, everybody else already covered it.

We need pictures! :)

13. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    First off, welcome! Second, if you're that concerned, find a good mechanic/dealership and have it checked out in case there are any issues. It will save you big $$$ down the road.

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A

Like has been said before, check your oil & keep it at the proper level. If you don't it can get costly quick. Also keep an eye on the coolant.

In my experience the R56 S engine tends to be louder than the one in my R53. I think that is due to the direct injectors clattering.

I find that the transmission in my wife's clubman shifts firmly. I think it is the nature of the beast. If you are used to another cars automatic it will feel different. Do yourself a favor & have the transmission fluid changed every 35,000 miles or so. The MINI dealer will tell you it is lifetime fluid, but that is not true. When the fluid dies so does the transmission at the cost of $7,000 or so.

Enjoy your MINI. If you have questions someone here will know the answer or point you in the right direction so you can find it. Lots of nice helpful folks here.

How about a picture or two of your clubman? We like pictures.

15. Atlys

Atlys New Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well, oil was the first thing I checked, haha. It's not a rod knocking, more of a lifter tick. The manual says that engine ticking is normal with low octane gas and I'm still running what the dealers put in out first.

I can deal with the cabin noise and the road noise just wasn't sure what to expect. Also, when I took it to the BMW Dealer he told me a lot of this is normal and it's just the fun of owning a Mini and that I'm probably just not used to it.

I don't keep it in sport, in fact, I'm weary to put it in sport unless it's in neutral. The heat thing seemed wild and had me nervous but I suppose that's just a thing for turbo cars?

Thanks for the tip on the transmission fluid too! It is over 35k and probably never got changed.

I drop her off at the service team at 4pm today. Fortunately they are excellent at the dealer and he wants me to drive it around and show him what I'm hearing/feeling.

This is the only pic I have this far, still on the sales floor! It's been so winter-y/salty here in Indiana I don't want show all the salt stains. :(

Attached Files:

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

17. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Very nice looking clubman!

Heat is the turbo, they can glow cherry read if run very hard & long. You won't see that, but will notice the heat.

My best guess on the engine noise is it is the sound the direct injection makes.

Once you burn 1/2 of the gas they gave you add high test to it, 91, 92, or 93 the higher the better.

18. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the coolest MINI forum on the net................:cool:

Have fun in that Clubby......:D

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok I see your problem now! Your car is on its side. The wheels should be on the bottom.:D

It looks good even sideways.

20. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I stand corrected. I was confused :crazy: