New here

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by fishmonger, May 14, 2015.

1. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone.

I've been lurking here for a long time, but never got around to signing up. Needed to see some images yesterday and this site would not let me unless I was a bona fide member with all the rights and obligations that go along with that :biggrin5:

I was going to get my first Mini back in 2010 already, but at the time it was too small for my needs (kids, haul motorcycles, etc). But I never lost interest in the Mini, kept checking for sale ads, and learned more and more about the car along the way. So last May, knowing exactly what I wanted by then, I bought my R53 within 2 hours of spotting the ad, and I never regretted it. In fact, I am about to buy a second Mini for my son, or perhaps for myself, giving him my current car. If so, he's a lucky kid who will get to drive off into the sunset in this ride :drool

[​IMG]
    R53 Sunset

Right now, the pretty car above needs coilovers, because the Alta springs from the first owner have had it. I will probably go with the Greene BC setup, although I really want some Öhlins one of these days.

Anyway, that's about it. Oh, mods on the car right now are a 15% pulley, CAI of unknown origin, Wilwood big brakes, Hotchkiss camber plates, Koni FSBs with those crappy Alta springs, rear seat delete, 16" lightweight rims with brand new Bridgestone RE 960s, a fat rear anti roll bar, too much camber due to previous owner doing autocross events, sagging Alta springs and lack of adjustable control arms.

Been racing on iRacing.com for years, but got tired of that a few years ago. Used to work in the Champcar era of CART as a photographer, so I have some petrol (methanol?) pumping in my veins. All that probably began when I grew uphalf a mile from a major VW plant in Germany, in a town that was breathing cars. Never could have imagined then that I'd pick a BMW-made Mini Cooper over a GTI...

Peter

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Sweet R53!! Welcome to MA!

3. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Welcome aboard!

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A, Peter! I have 2 R53s and an R50. If you enjoy yours as I do ours, it will be a match made in heaven.:Thumbsup:

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

6. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    That's a hell of a pic.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome new First Gen (R53) Member I see you selected a great car after reading the forum for so long.

[​IMG]

8. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
  9. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the modness...

10. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,019 / 6 / -5
    Great photo and Welcome to Motoring Alliance the onlyest Mini Forum you'll ever need !!

11. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Aboard!

12. Gramps

Gramps Active Member

Oct 25, 2012
    US Army Civilian at Fort Sam Houston
    Boerne, Texas
    Ratings:
    +90 / 0 / -0
    That's a great picture. Welcome!

13. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the fun!

14. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the warm welcome - and since you liked the photo so much, a few more, some from last year, some from last month. It's a pretty car, so you just keep taking pictures of it...

[​IMG]
    Back from winter hibernation

[​IMG]
    Stretched look

[​IMG]
    Best upgrade on the car

[​IMG]
    luscious "leatherette"

[​IMG]
    Mini in the CA Mountains

I keep adding to this album on Flickr whenever I get around to shoot some more.

So here's my "buy another R53" dilemma: I love this car. Puts a smile on my face every time I just walk past it. I also drives as well as it looks, even with the worn suspension. This has rubbed off on my son and instead of his early WRX dreams every teenager has, he now wants an R53 as well. Perhaps because his friend inherited his dad's '06 JCW? Or was it that intoxicating supercharger whine when we were in the mountains last year, zoomin up those winding roads into Yosemite or flying through Nevada at speeds not to be disclosed here? All that while still one may still be able to afford the insurance on that thing for a teenager, have plenty of room for our mountaineering gear, and getting over 30mpg over 5000 fun miles, and not to forget all the people around us uttering things like "cool car!" Not bad for a 10 year old compact :biggrin5:

Heck, the day I bought this car and towed it home from St. Louis, I was flagged down on the interstate and a guy made an offer to buy it on the spot. Last month the guy who put new tires on it wanted to buy it, but figured he could not afford this "near $20k ride" ...

So since the decision was made late last year to get a second one of these toys, any R53 to even catch my attention needs to be something pretty special, which filters out 98% of those cars being offered.

So far I've only seen 3 cars interesting enough for me to possibly give this car to my son. It's difficult to go the other way and buy a cheap R53 for him and then face the fact that he knows everything about the car and will want pulley, brakes, coilovers, exhaust, etc done anyway, all while you're probably faced with addressing important maintenance stuff on a 10 year old R53 will need if not maintained by a total enthusiast.

But I'll probably post something over in the Gen1 forum. We have the whole summer to find the right car. Maybe it'll happen like last year, when I knew within 2 hours that this dark gray '05 was the one to buy.

15. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Hey welcome!

If you are considering my coilovers i do have a friend in Madison who is running them if you want to check it out.
    Nice pictures.

16. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Great pics - welcome!
    Colin will do you right on coils.

17. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    Hi fishmonger,
    Just noticed you were in Madison after I saw the Wisconsin plate. That's cool, I live on the west side. I'm the friend Colin is referring to above. I have his coilovers, motor mounts, and slave cylinder. He's a good guy and sells great products. If you want to check them out sometime let me know. Myles

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  19. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    just met Myles and they are indeed nice coilovers. Since my suspension is absolutely shot and all the testimonials about those Swift/BCs are thumbs up, I think we will soon be talking.

This is a good reason to get something sooner than later - happened last weekend on a rough rail crossing:

[​IMG]

Left front, looks like busted Hotchkis camber plate spring mount at the top. The spring still sits where it belongs, but the core part seems to have rusted out and now has been center-punched by the ill-suited Koni FSDs - the car rides lower than Myles' GP, so obviously, the shocks made contact with those camber plates (a very harsh jolt every time it happened)

So now I have to count my dollars for coilovers, rear camber arms an some adjustable downlinks in the rear.