Thinking of buying a Mini

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by BishopX, May 19, 2015.

1. BishopX

BishopX New Member

May 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I'm Paul and I'm thinking of buying a new Mini as my daily driver. I've been driving a Tahoe for the last 13 years and want something smaller and sportier, but not a traditional mid life crisis sports car.

I've got my eye on a 2 door Cooper S, but I was wondering if you had any tips or suggestions on what I should look out for?

Thanks!

2. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A. '05 or '06 R53 is the way to go. I have an '06 R50 (justa Cooper), but am also watching for an R53 MCS, hopefully in the same colour combo as my Justa.

3. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Hi Paul, I'm also Paul. Welcome!

I also drive a 2008 MINI Cooper S as my daily, so here's a few basic things to know.

Supercharged vs Turbo - If you're looking to buy a used one, the Supercharged S models are the 2006 and earlier. These are commonly known as R53 around here, and most of the guys here love them.

2007 to 2013 are the second generation ones, and are known as R56. They're turbo. It's what I have. I love mine, but there are some good natured debates with the R53 crowd.

2014+ are the third generation, known as F56, also turbo, but bigger and very different.

There are other models as well, but the big split you're looking at is the 2006 and earlier vs 2007 and later.

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!

I have 2 R53s and an R50. The R53s are both 2006. Mine is a daily driver, track car and twisty car...it has 105k. Hers is an errand car, mostly driven by her and, consequently, only has about 52k.

Tell us where you live and what you are seeking so we can make suggestions, ok?

5. BishopX

BishopX New Member

May 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info Paul, I realize I may be a bit of a heretic here, but I don't know a lot about MINIs other than I like the look and the way they drive.

I'm looking at newer model, just because I'm a bit worried about reliability, MINI hasn't had the best reviews on that point.

Hi wmwny! I'm in Houston and I really just want something fun as a daily driver but I don't want to be the middle aged guy in the convertible penis mobile. Here's the one I'm thinking about. Its a 2015 S that was a loaner for a dealer here in TX.

2015 MINI Hardtop Cooper S, $22,478 - Cars.com

6. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!

It's hard to argue with having a warranty. I like having that peace of mind. I'd suggest test driving a couple to make sure you're comfortable in the model you want (ride quality and seats vary considerable between S and "justa") and with the transmission you want. As a DD you'll be in it a lot. You'll love driving it as a DD and when it comes to parking, U-turning and darting around, it's like no other. Brings a smile to my face every time I'm behind the wheel. Best of luck!

7. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    There's a couple F56 owners here, hopefully they'll chime in. Most of us have had ours a while now. :)

Re: Reliability - yeah some models have some known issues, and some repairs can be expensive (as I well know). But the good folks here will let you know what to look out for if you go for an older model. If it's any consolation, there's a number of us in the 100,000+ mile club. I'm at 120,000 something now.

8. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    A couple of additional questions that may drive some feedback from the owners of the different generations:

- How long is your commute?
    - How much of it is Stop & Go (even though that may be a non-issue since you are already looking at an automatic)
    - Do you intend to mod it?
    - Do you plan on doing any track days/auto-x?
    - How much of your own maintenance will you do (oil changes/brakes)?
    - What is more important looks/performance/gas mileage?

I would agree with DryMartini and suggest driving a couple different flavors to make sure you find the one that will suit the majority of your needs.

9. BishopX

BishopX New Member

May 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi B.A.D, thanks for weighing in. Per your questions:

My commute is relatively short for Houston, about 30-45 mins on average.
    Mostly stop and go. Also looking at an automatic as this will likely be my daughters car when she gets her license in 2-3 years.
    Haven't thought much about mods yet. I'm open to it.
    I'd like to try track/auto-x, more as a learning the car tool opposed to a love of racing.
    I'm not much of a gearhead, so the most I will probably do is oil changes.
    I'm interested more in looks and performance over mileage. Pretty sure it will beat my current Tahoe's mileage no matter what.

I've put in a few miles test drive miles in a 'justa', but I'd like to have a little more oomph. Thought of a JCW, but if I go that route, it will be the next one I get, after my daughter gets this one.

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    R53 or nothing.

11. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Paul, meet Dave. He has Opinions, and is one of those with whom there will be "good natured debates." ;)

12. BishopX

BishopX New Member

May 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  13. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Welcome aboard!
    If Dave nips at you... bite him back. It'll make him happy and less likely to see you as a giant target.

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

15. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Other than aging, Paul, my MINIs have had no real problems. My '06 S has been run hard, what with tracking, twisties and daily driving. However, it is modded and has handled all of the preceding very well. Her '06 S has not been modded. We got it with 26k 3 yrs. ago and she LOVES it. My Justa [an '03 R50] is slightly modded and I just show it now [rare colors]...55k.

How you take care of your car pretty much defines how reliable they will be as they age. I keep the fluids in all 3 of my MINIs changed regularly, as well as the other normal maintenance. They are super-dependable cars and I plan to keep them. I am firmly a Generation 1 guy. :Thumbsup:

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Amen brother Dave!

I would drive each generation S before you make a decisition.
    I have a 02 S with a manual. I have owned it for 11 years.
    All 4 of my kids have learned to drive on it. I am an old fart and believe learning on a manual will make you a better driver.
    The R53's are the easiest to mod. They are less refined then the other generations. They are visceral and when pushed the supercharger is like a sirens song.
    The R56's are a little more refined but still fun and great cars. They are a little more difucalt to mod.
    I have driven a few F56's the are the most refined, bigger and heavier. But I will let someone that has one tell you about them. I just don't have enough time in one.

EVERY ONE that says "I may do some light mods and maybe a track day or autox" become addicts. All of them! Modding is an addiction. Friends never let friends mod alone.

When you get your Mini and start to mod it, we are here to help spend your money!

Welcome to MA

Your Mod pusher.

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Let me add. A friend bought an R53 with a manual new in 04. She sold it 4 years ago and bought an R56 auto and drove it till her daughter turned 16. She then gave it to her daughter and bought a Countryman(she has done a couple of mods to it). She has replaced her daughters a R56 for a new F56.
    A few weeks ago she bought her R53 back. Both her and the car are happy to be united.
    I did some work on the R53 to get it in top shape. I also added a 15% pulley. I believe there is a Cold air intake (CAI) in its future.
    She is keeping her Countryman as her daily driver and the R53 as a weekend car.
    She told me how much she missed driving her R53.

It may sound silly but when you buy a MINI your not buying a car, your getting a pet that eats petrol.

18. BishopX

BishopX New Member

May 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    wmwny, I agree 100%. I tend to keep my cars maintained pretty well. That's why I have almost 300k on my Tahoe and have no plans to get rid of it. I need it for camping and hauling stuff. Glad to hear there aren't many glaring issues with them.

MCS02, Based on the number of recommendations, I will definitely give the various gens a try. Looking around at the garage's here, I'm in awe of the amount of mods that are available out there. Kinda daunting to be honest. But in a really good way!:)

19. scanner

scanner New Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  20. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    If your considering an R53 stay with 05-06. You can find them with low miles and don't be afraid to get one from farther away. I got my 05 2 years ago with 24k mi from Dallas. I'm in Ohio.

The R56 I think it's the 09 and newer.

When your looking at a car get the VIN check car fax and take the number to the dealer. The dealer can tell you where the car was bought. Then that dealer can tell you everything that it came with.

Also talk to the service dept. some will tell you everything about the car others will only answer questions. Like "has the timing chain been replaced" (early R56 issue). One I was looking at the dealer told me was a salvage title.

I don't recommend MINIs to everyone. They have some quarks that some people look at as reliability issues. Knowing that get it, drive it and love it.