Tech questions from a Newbie...

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by 08 Cooper S, Sep 26, 2015.

1. 08 Cooper S

08 Cooper S New Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Woodworker
    Northford, CT
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I just purchased an 08 Cooper S convertible.

3 questions:

1. The phone button on the steering wheel, its not in the manual (that I could find) Does it or can it do anything?
    2. In the glove compartment is an oldschool pin connector for an ipod. Is this factory? Can it be changed to the new type?
    3. What have ya'll found to be the best phone holder?

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Not being a techie of any sort, all I can do is to say, WELCOME TO M/A!! :Thumbsup:

3. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    1. I googled the info on the phone interface. Don't remember where I found it, but printed it out. Sadly it was in the owners manual folder when I traded it.

2. I found that the best adaptor is from Apple. I tried a few generics but they didn't work as well.

Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (0.2 m)
    Item# MD824AM/A

3. My pocket. :)

Oh yeah...... welcome to the asylum. :arf:

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    1) Phone buttons do nothing, unless the car has one of the very rare dealer-installed bluetooth kits. All the Multi-Function steering wheels have the buttons, only a few actually did anything. You CAN purchase aftermarket bluetooth kits with custom wiring harnesses that will enable the buttons.

2) No telling what that iPod cable is connected to. It MAY be the OEM iPod interface, or it MAY be an aftermarket interface. Here's the details on the OEM one: https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/display/tech/Ipod+Interface+Installation+2002-2006+MINI+Cooper
    If it's an aftermarket one, it MIGHT be USB connected and you MIGHT be able to substitute a lightning cable. Otherwise, use the Apple Lightning-to-30pin adapter.

3) Phone holders - ProClip has the best actual phone holders, and has good car mounts. But pricey. I use them in all my cars. Note that if you use the downtube mount from ProClip, it will tend to vibrate/bounce as those tubes are pretty flimsy, not structural. Can be mostly fixed by stuffing some foam or felt behind the downtube.

Kuda has the most OEM-looking dash mounts, then you can put a ProClip phone holder on it. I've done his also.

5. 08 Cooper S

08 Cooper S New Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Woodworker
    Northford, CT
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips & advice guys!

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  7. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Staff Microbiologist/hematologist at UC Davis
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    Ditto on the Proclip mount. Love mine!

And welcome. :)