New and don't know much about mini

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Marshmallow, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Marshmallow

Marshmallow New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm new to the whole forum but I modified my mini (r50 06 Mini Cooper hardtop base model) with
    Exsaust system
    Air intake
    V jet performance chip
    I wanted to make my mini go faster. Any suggestions on what else to install and where to buy at a reasonable price ✌️

Ps. Am looking for a body kit to make it look awesome. Some held would be great.

2. cristo

cristo Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    physician
    York, Pa
    Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -1
    Faster is hard to come by on an R50. You could add a header, cam, and
    ported head and re-tune again for a few more hp, but it's a lot of $ for a little gain.

What wheels and tires are you running? If they're on the heavy side, lighter ones
    would help acceleration a little and handling a bit more. Strong but light options
    that won't break the bank would be Enkei PF01 or RPF1, or OZ ALLEGGERITA HLT.
    Strong but light options that will break the bank would be something like Volk CE28
    or TE37 or similar true forged wheels.
    There are some good light tires, also, but need to know size and purpose
    (summer + winter sets or all-seasons) before looking down that road further.

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Work on making it handle better and it will surprise you. R50's do good in autocross events because they can't go fast.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

For handling go with a good rear sway bar first. Then springs and struts when you have some money. Our sponsors have plenty to chose from. You can plan on spending around $250-$300.

I have heard a good custom tune may help but I don't know if its the best bang for the buck.

5. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,974 / 6 / -5
    Lots of great information for you to think on and Welcome to Motoring Alliance the bestest MINI forum on the interweb !!

6. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!

With regard to owning a Cooper and wanting to make it go faster, you are only dealing with half of the problem...the other half being YOU. SEAT TIME behind the wheel gives YOU the opportunity to see what YOU can do [such as YOUR limits] for the car as much as what a modded car can do for you. I'd take a high performance driving school for fast, safe driving experience before getting involved with adding a lot of power to your Cooper.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Not a whole lot you can do with a "Justa" Cooper for more power because the motor internals are not built for a huge power increase. Now if you have very deep pockets you could always buy a completely built "stroker" motor.

The best mod is as people have said is education for the "nut behind the wheel". Along with light wheels and very grippy non run flat tire's. Learn the car and how to push it and you to its limits and you will be surprised how fast and fun a "Justa" is.

Lots of horsepower is no good if you can't control or worse stop it when you get into trouble.

8. mattc85

mattc85 Active Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Heating and Air
    Mocksville, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    I have no problem keeping up with the faster drivers in our club in my justa on public roads. It has forced me to learn to drive smoothly to keep up my momentum. In the time that I've had it, I feel like I've improved substantially as a driver. I don't know if that would have been possible if I had another 60-80hp to rely on. Outside of DaveO's suggestion of a fully built stroker motor, I don't really see any power adders being worth the effort, except that more loud=more cool.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    ... And while the fully built RMW stroker is a fantastic engine and would definitely add a bit of torque... it's also massive overkill for a Cooper, the internals are built to handle 30psi of boost...

11. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance.
    As many have said not too much more power to be gained with the standard Mini Cooper without spending a lot of money. It would be better to sell the R50 and get a R53 if speed/power is your primary goal.
    Again as other have said, with a R50, I would focus on handling and driver training. Auto-X is a great event for R50s.
    For better handling I would be thinking:
    - Lower/Stiffer Springs
    - Adj shocks
    - Adj Rear Sway Bar
    - Front Camber Plates (Fixed or Adj)
    - Adj Lower Rear Control Arms (to adj rear camber after lowering)
    - Stickier tires (type depends on your location and driving conditions)
    - Lighter wheels

12. mattc85

mattc85 Active Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Heating and Air
    Mocksville, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    That would turn the gears in a justa's midlands box into glitter. I imagine that combined with the gear oil would resemble the glitter glue my kids like to get all over everything. lol. I wonder if the later 5 speeds were any more robust. I do think it would be cool to assemble a very high revving n/a engine mated to a better gearbox, though.

13. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    If you spend your money on suspension, wheels and tires you can transfer them over when you up grade to an R53. Just save the stock parts to put back on.