Ready to pull the trigger on a 2005 JCW and need some direction.

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by MCM, Apr 9, 2016.

1. MCM

MCM New Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Trying to get an idea of what to look out for when buying the above mentioned. What are the down falls of the year? Does anyone know how to repair a sagging headliner do to water leaking in at antenna? TIA for the 411.

2. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Here's a guide: MINI R5/R53 Buyers Guide - MotoringFile

The '05-'06 facelift cars are often considered the best for the 1st generation.

Check to make sure the water isn't leaking in from one of the sunroof drains if it has a sunroof. Loose drain tubes are a known problem and it would suck to replace the antenna mount and have the headliner get damaged again because it wasn't only the antenna mount leaking.

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    If it has a roof leak you should check under the carpeting to see if the BCM ( body control module) is wet. If it is, I would walk away.

4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    The '05-'06 facelift cars are often considered the best for ANY generation. :wink:

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    As for the headliner, recover or replace is your best option. You can get a replacement from someone parting out a car, post on the various MINI Facebook groups. MINI Exchange is a good source.

To recover, you can get real headliner fabric and glue here: Your Auto Trim Store
    That's where I get stuff for all my interior projects.