New Owner with Battery Questions

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by DrSteve, Apr 11, 2016.

1. DrSteve

DrSteve New Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just picked up a 2007 S 6 speed with 36K and am enjoying it very much. The battery is original and beginning to fail. I contacted the nearest dealer and they quoted me a replacement price of $389 including installation and programming - an $89 value according to the service manager. He said the BMW battery is 'cushioned' unlike other batteries for the stiff Mini suspension.

I am shocked - and am asking the forum for guidance on this.

Is this price what you folks pay?
    Does the battery require programming?
    Are there other batteries that suffice for this car and if so, what do you recommend?
    ...and last, I'm pretty handy so how hard can it be to replace the battery?

Thanks

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    First you need to determine if your MINI has the IBS battery cable.

Here is what the IBS battery looks like...
    [​IMG]

Not all MINI's have them. Look for the black plastic box on the negative battery post connection.
    If you don't have this feature, just change out the battery and you are good to go... I have a 2009 S and it doesn't have this feature...

If your MINI does, then you need to have it properly registered with the ECU at a MINI dealership... The IBS unit controls the rate of charge and it provides feedback to the charging system based on the performance of the old battery.... If you don't have it reset, the new batter will be over charged by the charging circuit...

Oh.... And welcome to M/A....:Thumbsup:

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

Is this price what you folks pay? Only if they get sucked into the dealers silly pricing for simple things.
    Does the battery require programming? The battery, no. The ECU or Body Control Module needs to know the battery is new.
    Are there other batteries that suffice for this car and if so, what do you recommend? Pretty much anything, most all quality batteries are the same these days.
    ...and last, I'm pretty handy so how hard can it be to replace the battery? Pretty darn easy. It's the programming that we mere mortals cannot do. However, any BMW/MINI shop with a GT1 can deal with the programing. You are not stuck with the dealer.

The reason the software needs to be notified that the battery is new is all to eek out the most milage. A new battery is easier on the alternator. MINIs software polls the health of battery. The alternator charges the battery according to the batteries health. When the battery is new the software needs to be told so the alternator doesn't overcharge the new battery.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Yeah.... But I provided a picture Nathan...:D

5. DrSteve

DrSteve New Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Battery

Thanks folks.

6. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!:Thumbsup:

7. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance the bestest MINI forum on the interweb !!

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

9. Rick Rosier

Rick Rosier New Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Battery

Hi i am rick. i had the same problem with my battery. So i went to auto and got a new battery i just put it in and all was fine. I payed about 140.00 bucks Dealers rip you off so i think you should do it your self. Hope this helps Rick new guy

10. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Aboard!

You have all the battery info you need in the first 2 replies.

11. DrSteve

DrSteve New Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I appreciate the support from this community - feels like folks have your back.