Newbie with a New Question

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by DrSteve, Apr 12, 2016.

1. DrSteve

DrSteve New Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My new to me 07 Cooper S 6 speed with 36K is in the shop. Car was being flat towed in neutral with key inserted in the ignition so steering wheel would not lock. When we unhooked the car from the hitch, it would not start or even turn over. Battery is fine. Computers are fine. Mechanic at dealer thinks the steering lock has failed and the computer 'thinks' the car has been stolen - not allowing it to be started. Parts and labor are just under $1,000.

Here are my questions:

Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis?
    Is this a reasonable price - most is labor he says.
    Can the steering wheel lock be removed or defeated to enable us to flat tow it behind our motorhome without worry?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

2. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if this is the problem but the car thinking is was stolen and locking out sounds logical if it has that feature.

I've seen a number of second gen MINI's being towed so it must be possible.

Based on the price your dealer wanted to do the battery they are probably high on the price.

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Even so, Welcome to M/A!

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Another choice would be to use a MINI centric garage (these are garages that have the MINI / BMW tools and are very familiar with MINI's...)

Some of our many good sponsors can do the work for you at a cost savings (if you are located close to them) Click on the "sponsors" tab at the M/A header....

5. DrSteve

DrSteve New Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks folks

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    What Metalman said. The sponsors we have are all great and do a lot for the community. If you don't leave near one of them someone here may be able to point you to a good shop.