New to Mini's have some questions

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by sguerrero1971, Apr 22, 2016.

1. sguerrero1971

sguerrero1971 New Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just bought my first Mini, a 2007 S with manual transmission. I love it, but I bought it with the intention of playing with it, so I have some questions. I want to get rid of the dual mass fly wheel, and go to something sturdier. So, what are my best options and where can I find them? I've seen the Valeo kits, and the OS Giken, are there others? I also bought this mini with high miles 100k knowing I was going to tear into it, but before I get too deep into it, I want to still drive it, so I'm planning on new belt, and throwing a cold air intake and plugs in it, am I missing anything? I saw some things about the cam chain tensioner, I'm assuming that is a must? Also, I've only found one tuner, and a device that takes the lag out of the accelerator petal, is there much more as far as electronic upgrades are concerned?

I bought this car because it's fun to drive right out of the gate. I don't plan on going crazy, but I am looking to make it a little quicker than stock, and I might take it to a road course once, but mainly I want it to be fun to drive, and not break when I occasionally slam the petal down.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing your responses.

2. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the modness...it's addicting. Great site and great people. I don't know about the clutch, but common mods are a 15/17% pulley, CAI, and an exhaust to tailor the sound :). A H/D rear sway bar gives the most bang for the buck as far as suspension. Don't do any mods until your car has proven reliable. Parts are very expensive and if you don't do your own work, so is labor. BUT, the fun factor can't be beat.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

4. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! Pictures please!

5. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    First question is, hard top or convertible? In 2007 there was a body and engine difference between the two.

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    2007....hardtop or cabrio?
    We ask this cause the cabrio was a gen1, and the hardtop a gen2...so different issues, different answers.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It's a hardtop. R56.

8. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    K. R56 it is. Happens to be my specialty. Weather I like it or not.

Things to look for:

1. Aux Water pump Recall performed? By now I would think yes. If not, call dealer and schedule.
    2. Has the main water pump been replaced? If not, then plan on it. If it has, is the water pump housing metal instead of plastic? If its plastic, it will fail again.
    3. Has the thermostat housing been replaced? Either way you'll end up replacing it again with time. Its all plastic, so it fails. Yeah it sucks, trust me, I know.
    4. Has the timing chain and tensioner been replaced before? If so, how long ago? You may want to replace the tensioner again with the most revised part. (If the chain fails, your engine is toast)
    5. Has your High Pressure Fuel Pump(HPFP) been replaced? If not, it may fail. Not all do, but many have. Especially since yours is a 2007 model. Some cars have warranty coverage on this part.
    6. Has your intake valves been cleaned? If not, do it now. This will require walnut shell blasting. Do not listen to Seafoam or intake cleaner garbage, they just don't do the job. This will return lost power and let your car run much smoother.
    7. Check your vacuum pump. Make sure its not leaking and its not noisy. This part, if it fails, can be catastrophic to your engine. Some people (like me) replace these as preventative maintenance.
    8. The oil filter housings on these like to leak. You'll want to clean your off first as this is an area that is prone to get oil with oil changes. If, after it's cleaned and there is still oil, get some gaskets.
    9. Turbo Oil lines like to leak. Check yours. This can ruin a turbo.
    10. Valve Cover / gasket. Some valve cover gaskets like to leak. If your cover hasn't been replaced at all, I would recommend replacing it. As there have been a couple redesigns since 2007 for the N14 valve cover. Your PCV system runs through this valve cover and is built in. again if its original you may want to replace it due oil build up inside of it.
    11. Hood scoop. Some like to warp. If yours hasn't, its either been replaced with newer design, or it has yet to warp. There are heat shields that mount just under the scoop on the actual hood to help keep this from happening.

All of these things should be considered before modding the vehicle. You don't want to put money in a car that may blow up because of one or many of the items that were listed.

Feel free to ask other questions here or PM me. I can help.

9. sguerrero1971

sguerrero1971 New Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry I didn't realize the difference between the cabrio and the hardtop, mine is a hardtop.

Grizld700 - Thanks for all the great info, I'll get busy this weekend and try and figure out whether my water pump is plastic or metal, do you have a good source for the vacuum pump, and the valve cover?

I like to do the work myself.

Thanks all

10. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! :Thumbsup:
    Enjoy your new ride!

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

12. sguerrero1971

sguerrero1971 New Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the great info, it really helped point me in the right directions. I replaced the Vacuum pump, the valve cover, and plugs. I also checked the timing chain and tensioner and it looks like they are in good shape. I have a water pump and the serpentine belt to replace, and I'm waiting on my fly wheel, clutch, and throw out bearing to be delivered from JM Turbo. I've done the noisemaker delete, and put a CAI on. I'm also waiting for the new turbo oil line from Detroit Tuned to show up so I can replace that when I'm putting in the clutch. As well as the Craven short shifter. I have some new brakes coming and then I think I'll get the rear sway bar from H-sport. Then all there is to do is drive it. You guys have been a wealth of information. Thanks again.