R53 auto tranny question

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Speedman, May 6, 2016.

1. Speedman

Speedman New Member

May 6, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2005 MCS with the 6 speed auto trans. I have changed the fluid three. Times and it shifts much better than when I bought it 6 months ago. The trans is doing something weird though. It does not do this often but it has done it three time and it has always been in heavy traffic. It will shift from 3 to 4 gear andget stuck in 3. The shift lever or the paddles will not make it move. If I pull over and turn the car off and back on it is back to normal. I think it is some find of electrical issue. Any ideas or help would be great

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

I am not an auto expert but we do have one here that can help. Have you checked to see if it has any codes?

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Ugh.

In my experience (I had a Auto trans mini of the same generation for 150k miles), when it starts doing stuff like that, the prescription is likely to be a new transmission.

Yes, the transmission is electronically controlled. Yes, there is an electronic control module that could be problematic, external to the transmission (it's located in the driver's side footwell, on the firewall). There are also a couple of speed sensors mounted in the transmission that feed back to this control unit, they could be the culprits. Or you could have a valve body problem. Or the clutches could be failing.

The dealer, and anyone else with the factory scan tool, can see any diagnostics the transmission control unit may be producing. I'd start there, and see if there are any clues.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! :Thumbsup:

We have a great mechanic in Columbus, Ohio, who might be able to help you if you tell us where you are located.

6. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    #6 TG., May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    I do not know the specifics of MINI auto tran shifter (it's our first Mini) but on some other cars I know for a fact that sometime the manual element of the shifter gets old, especially if used often. Many use proximity magnet switch for the up and down shift to send the signal to the computer. The plastic part(s) holding these can some time breakdown and no longer or intermittently work as the magnet might be dislodge from its position.
    Considering the cost of everything else it might be a good place to investigate first, do some research.

It will be a lot cheaper than a new transmission or a new electronic module :biggrin5: . . . if that is the issue of course. Again I haven't looked in the Mini auto tran shifter to know how it works.

I guess if it happened frequently enough I would drive in Automatic mode for a while and see if it happens. If it does than you know the problem is closer to the transmission. If it doesn't the problem might be closer to the shifter.

7. Razone23

Razone23 Active Member

Nov 3, 2013
    technical support
    nothern CT
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I drive my car 100% of the times using the index shifting due to similar issue you are having since then. Business as usual. Would have love for manual but this is the closest. I meet someone that explained to me about the way it shifts when in full automatic vs index shifting. Mad total sense on how the computer manages the shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk