Out shopping. Maybe some suggestions?

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by NoyzRulz, Jun 7, 2016.

1. NoyzRulz

NoyzRulz New Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking for a weekend ride and decided on Mini for the fun handling and looks and am ready to pull the trigger. We owned a 2010 Clubman at one time. I want to take the occasional weekend day trips with the wife while driving into the twists and turns that we have here in Upstate NY. Here's where I'm at. Maybe you can help me make the right decision?

I had narrowed it to a Mini Convertible S from 2013-2015 with low miles as that is my price range. But it's easy to get confused. Here's my big 2:

1: Would like a convertible but doubt I'd drop the top much. This is my biggest flip flop. I'd like the option but every time I see a hard top.....

2: Wait, this thing got bigger for 2014? Might cause me to stick to 2013. Is there a handling hit with the bigger size? Or, is there a reason to get a 2014 or 2015 over 2013?

The Roadster makes little sense to me for numerous reasons. I think you know these reasons.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

2. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I would try to find a low mileage '05 or '06. Yes they do exist. After that the later 2nd gen. So '13 or older. Keep in mind that the convertibles stuck around a few years after the hard top change over. So 1st gen convertibles go until '08.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! I am not a lot of help on this one. My wife drove a 14 convertible yesterday and loved it.

4. NoyzRulz

NoyzRulz New Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do all hardtops have a panoramic sunroof or is that a particular option?

5. MCS4FUN

MCS4FUN New Member

May 31, 2016
    Mtns of AZ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to MA - hope you'll enjoy the experience here! :wink:

You've indicated some objectives and preferences. You like the convertible style, yet doubt you'll drop the top much. Would you always store your car inside overnight, except during travels? If not, seems to me the fabric top will soon look shoddy. Even opening partway into "sunroof" position causes visible creases in the fabric. Those things bug me. Maybe you too? If the convertible feature is used often, that tradeoff might be worthwhile.

How fussy are you about other condition aspects? I was looking for a late 1st gen MCS with manual gearbox. Nearly all within reasonable driving distance were too high mileage for my liking. Drove 3 hours roundtrip down to east Phoenix area to look at one described and priced by the original owner as pristine. It was not. I didn't even start it up let alone drive the car. Not a dog but not something I'd be proud to own. A MINI for me is primarily recreation, not transportation.

So, started shopping 2nd gen. Here in AZ, most new car buyers trade in late model cars for sales tax advantage. Finding nice MINIs with clean title and no accident history by private party is much harder. I bought my MCS from one of the two MINI dealers in Phoenix area (Penske owned). Mine was a 3-year lease turn-in (as were several others in stock). It had arrived just the day before with 17.8k miles, thus eligible for CPO extended warranty. With that, another year remaining of original plus one more of extended warranty. It was originally leased there, with subsequent services performed there vs bought at auction from out of state.

It would be fun to drive comparably equipped examples from each generation back-to-back, for example, 2006, 2013 and current 2016 MCS or JCW equipped cars. Maybe some of you have done that, or owned an example of each. I have not.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Its an option.

7. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    #7 wmwny, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    welcome to M/A! :Thumbsup:

I have 3 Gen 1 MINIs...an '03 R50 and 2 '06 MCSes. All three have sunroofs and I would not even consider a convertible where I live [western Ohio] because of the cold and nasty Winters and Springs. I usually crack open the roof in nice weather and even can get away with it open in moderate rain without getting soaked. I hardly ever open the sunroof fully unless the weather is balmy and the sun isn't too hot...besides, since the back panel does not open [has just a shade screen], it's like a wind tunnel with the front sunroof and windows open.

The Gen 1 and Gen 2 MINIs are a lot shorter than the Gen 3s [2014 and on]...the Gen 1 being the shortest of the 3 generations and the Gen 2 sort of in the middle, sizewise.

8. NoyzRulz

NoyzRulz New Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Read both responses. I am weekend, indoor only. I am going automatic simply for the ease of driving it and so my wife can if she wants. I am looking at a lease turn in as well with 17 or 18k on it but the issue in New York is salt on the winter roads. If it saw winter, it's ruined in my book. Much like you, MCS4FUN, I am pretty fussy. I'm a clean behind the wheels and under the car guy, even my daily driver. There's a lot of cars here around 100-200 mile drive but I hesitate to drive 3-4 hours one way on the word of a car salesman who rarely know the specifics about the brand, nonetheless the condition of a particular car.

9. MCS4FUN

MCS4FUN New Member

May 31, 2016
    Mtns of AZ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ^^^
    Perhaps consider buying one here in AZ from CPO dealer. More $$ than private party but documentation and "where it lived" is easy to confirm from dealer website by CarFax report. Hey, maybe do a fly 'n drive if time permits... :cool:

Mine had professional tinting done at time when leased which looks like a factory installation. Beautifully done! When I saw and inspected it closely in a shady location on dealer's lot, I found a few very small dents on the passenger door. Agreement to buy was conditional on PDR removal before picking it up a few days later. Its perfect now...

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

11. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    If you find one online that you really like, there is probably a MA forum member nearby who would go look at it for you.

When you are ready to make a deal, make it contingent on a PPI. A thorough PPI will cost a couple-hundred bucks, but will give you a lot of peace of mind.

Also, if you buy a low-milage car at a MINI dealership, it may be a Certified Pre-Owned, which means it has had a very thorough PPI, and extends the warranty. My local MINI dealer, Sewell MINI of Plano, always has a good supply of Certified Pre-Owned cars on the lot when I go in for service.

CD

12. NoyzRulz

NoyzRulz New Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Went to a dealership today in Upstate NY. I had called them and they said it was rust free when I asked if it had seen winter here. She was condescending towards me on the phone as well trying to play word tricks like "well do you want to know if it was driven in the winter or in the salt?". Anyway, I looked underneath, they lied. Anyone in NY who's seen a salt car can spot salt effect after 1 winter. I was also ignored at the dealership when I drive 90 minutes to go there today so I left.

I was surprised that the paddle shifter is gone in the new automatics, another strike against the 14-16 for me. Luckily I spend half the year in Florida and Braman Mini in West Palm has been awesome to deal with on the phone so far. Odds are I will go the dealership route.

13. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    The only way to get a car with no salt exposure is to buy one from a state that doesn't use salt, and have it shipped to you.

If you look at the pre-owned inventory at Sewell MINI of Plano, which is about 15 miles from me, I'd be glad to go look at it. Also, their customer service is second to none.

CD

14. NoyzRulz

NoyzRulz New Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'll probably fly to Florida and drive it back but I really appreciate the offer :) There's plenty of rust-free cars here if you don't drive it 7 months a year :) Just wish they'd been honest.

15. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    #15 wmwny, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Cars in Florida don't rust with all that salt air?

Wow...you learn something new everyday...:nonod:

16. NoyzRulz

NoyzRulz New Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Spoken like someone who has no clue but speaks anyway, so let me explain.

It's a different salt. Salt here in NY is sprayed on the roads all winter destroying cars. Maybe not in Ohio? We get 175+ inches of snow here. Very few places use actual SALT on the roads. Literally piles of salt being sprayed on your car.

In Florida, the salt air is worst if you're right at the ocean. It's also easily washed off as one can see by all the rust free cars there. They get a premium for Florida or any southern car here in Upstate (or Central) New York.

I lived beachside and you'd have a film on your car from the salt air. I moved a few miles off, no more salt air.

Leave Ohio sometime, I'll show you around in person. Thanks again for adding nothing to the conversation.

17. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Just because I do not agree with you does not give you the right to attack me. As for my "adding nothing to the conversation", scale back towards the beginning.

There is nothing like a newbie with a crappy attitude, so, stick it!

18. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Seriously?

I just lost all interest in trying to help you.

CD

19. MCS4FUN

MCS4FUN New Member

May 31, 2016
    Mtns of AZ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sheesh, how did this thread go south so quickly (not meaning Florida)...

Its written; The Pen is Mightier than the Sword, yet its the Keyboard that seems to inflame these days. Good thing there is no such thing as laptop/smartphone road rage. Its not necessarily what is written as much as how its written. This, coming from another MA newbie but definitely not a newbie to enthusiast cars nor forums created to serve enthusiasts...

20. NoyzRulz

NoyzRulz New Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Frankly, I found this comment pretty rude myself. I guess having a few posts means it's ok to be a condescending ass but God forbid someone wants to give it back. As someone who owns a forum with over 250k members for 15 years now, I would have asked you to be nicer to the new members, especially if you want to be condescending, and wrong, all in the same sentence.