One week old Mini owner with Supercharger issues...

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by 2003Mini S, Sep 27, 2016.

1. 2003Mini S

2003Mini S Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2003 Mini Cooper s with 72000 miles... Power steering went out already and luckily dealer had it under recall repairing at no cost. While at dealer, they are telling me the supercharger is NOT WORKING on my car....

I do hear a bearing noise when car is cold....gets less as it warms up....car has plenty of power and pulls hard.... did two trips to Calif (280 miles each way) reached 120 mph with zero effort or issues.....I think supercharger works...but I am not a mechanic.

Few questions.
    1. Is there a way to see if supercharger is working or not?
    2. I know bearing can be noisy but what happens if I continue driving the car?
    3. If supercharger seizes, can it damage to block?
    4. Whats the best place to buy a replacement supercharger?
    5. Would you say Mini's are reliable cars or cars that have lots of issues? .....been getting all kinds of mixed reviews.

Any advise/opinion on this matter it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edwin....
    P.S. I LOVE driving the Mini....it is just scary to see the repair and part costs and hate to keep getting deeper and deeper in to it...

2. 2003Mini S

2003Mini S Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I forgot to mention...

1. There are no check engine lights or codes.
    2. Just passed smog inspection.
    3. MPG around city is 24 and 29 hwy....I am heavy on peddle
    4. No smoke or leaks from motor.

3. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I don't have an R53, which is what you have. My R56 has a turbo. That said, it sounds like the supercharger is working, but as with anything mechanical, it may be in the process of failing. Other R53 owners, as reluctant as they are to offer advice :lol:, may have something to say about that.

5. Would you say Mini's are reliable cars or cars that have lots of issues? .....been getting all kinds of mixed reviews.

Reliable is a relative term.

MINIs are not crap, but they are not Honda Civics, either. A properly maintained MINI will last a long time -- mine is nine years old and has 101,000 miles on it, and runs like a champ.

But, yes, MINIs have issues. The issues you will face on your R53 are somewhat different than what I face with my R56. But, they have some things in common.

First, MINIs leak fluids. Well, they leak and lose fluids. You need to check your oil level regularly -- meaning often. I don't know where it goes, but even a perfectly running MINI loses oil, somewhere. Same with coolant.

Eventually, every gasket on a MINI engine will need to be replaced. Budget for that, because it is not a matter of "if,' but a matter of "when."

From my own experience over four years of MINI ownership, fluid leaks/mysterious fluid disappearance has been the consistent issue. Otherwise, my MINI has been very reliable -- knock on wood.

So, for me, I'd much rather own a MINI than a Honda Civic. Sure, the Honda might be more reliable, but I actually like to drive, and being an artist, I like to drive in something that doesn't look like a home appliance on wheels.

CD

4. 2003Mini S

2003Mini S Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank for respond Caseydog....

I love the Mini cooper, just want to know what I have gotten my self in too.....lol

5. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Imo steigimer does the best rebuilds ....about $900, a bit more if you have it ported for more power, and it is about a 5 hour job (maybe a full day for a home diy) and maybe $100 in gaskets to do the swap...
    Some vendors might have exchange units...they ship you a rebuilt unit in a box...do the swap...ship the old unit back...
    Dealers were running about $1500+ for rebuilt unit plus install, at about 2x the labor rate....so imo find a good mini centric independent shop....
    To tell you your sc is "not working" is pure BS....
    IT MIGHT BE low on oil, and tearing itself appart, but it still works...
    A hint...if the sc stops....the waterpump, which works with a PTO off the bottom of the SC STOPS...SO THE CAR IS IMMOBILE.

6. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I've owned close to 50 cars (I'm 55 years old), so I've experienced a lot. I also photograph cars for a living, so I've driven just about everything.

I would rate my MINI CooperS in the top range of the cars I have owned and driven, just on the "FUN" factor. Yeah, a Ferrari 458 is freaking awesome, but I can't say it is $200,000 more fun to drive than my MINI, not that I could actually afford to own a 458.

So, when it comes to fun for the money, I can't think of anything better. I would rank it above the VW GTi and the Miata for "fun to drive" -- and I have owned both. The Miata wins in the reliability contest -- they are bulletproof. My GTi was fun, and had Mercedes quality fit and finish. But, my 2007 MINI CooperS just manages to squeak ahead of both of those cars for "fun with a daily driver."

So, what you got yourself into is a fun car that will need a bit more than average attention, and maybe maintenance. But it isn't ridiculous -- it is still a reasonable daily driver.

Absolutely, you need to check your vital fluid levels, especially oil level, often. Keep some 5W-30 full synthetic in the garage at all times. You will need it.

CD

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #7 Metalman, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    I believe NEW OEM factory units are not available anymore.... Best bet is to get a rebuilt unit.... Some are rebuilt better than others...

And don't just take it to just any garage... Make sure it's a garage that's familiar with MINI's. Unless you want to do the work yourself.... There should be a DIY in the library tab...

Go to the "Sponsor" tab at the top for a listing...

8. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    If'n you are going to do maintenance work yourself then acquiring a Bentley manual for the first generation MINI is a must.

9. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A ...great site and greater people. You got some good advice and I'm sure there will be more, but I'm a mechanical dummy :)

10. 2003Mini S

2003Mini S Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    and being an artist, I like to drive in something that doesn't look like a home appliance on wheels.

CD[/QUOTE]

Well said..... I hate the look those washers/dryers on wheels, also known as Civic!

Thanks for the humor...lol

11. 2003Mini S

2003Mini S Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It does sound like BS, telling me the SC NOT Working....
    I do hear pulley/bearing noise that gets less as motor warms up, I was just waiting for it to get worse, that way it is easier to see which pulley needs replacing.

If I continue driving and SC takes a complete crap on me....will that do any damage to motor block,head or anything else?

I watched the video on checking/replacing SC fluid and in order to check fluid level in SC, It is same labor as removing and installing new SC.....correct?

Thanks for the shared info. Appropriate:beer everyone input....

12. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The idea of filling the oil up IMO is a false sense of economy....
    The SC is a wear item....so are the seals that keep the COUPLE of OUNCES in....
    So if the oil is low...the seals are most likely bad...so for 4-6 hours if labor and $150 you are buying yourself a couple months at best....IF you get in before damage has happened....
    But other parts wear....bearings wear, the tolerance on the rotors open up, etc...the efficiency drops...a rebuild fixes all that. An oil change is just that....
    Not saying people don't do it...for some folks this stuff is a hobby....and they enjoy it...
    But if you are paying somebody to fix it...just get a GOOD UNIT, and you are good for another 10 years, and 110,000 miles (the purported design life of an Eaton m45 SC).
    If you have loads of time, and want to spend a day dissembling your car a couple times a year, with increasing frequency, spending $150 in gaskets and special oils at regular and increasing frequency, feel free...
    Just keep in mind, old cooked plastic parts get brittle, and metal corroded....so rarely is anything easy on an old car ...

13. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Another tip....when the SC is done, have them change the waterpump.
    Most would never consider doing one without the other....while not a matched pair, they are both so deeply buried, it is good practice to change them both.
    Others might suggest doing other items to "freshen" up the motor, be it hoses, a belt, or maybe the belt tensioner...
    Just depends on you goals for reliability and fear of downtime....and how long you want too keep the car...
    Some prefer ONE BIG bill every couple years...and saving a bit of labor...others spread it out, but sometimes it means removing some parts 2 or 3 times....and extra days at the garage.

14. 2003Mini S

2003Mini S Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got my Mini back from dealer.....

Motor is definitely making more noise then when I dropped off....drove about 5 minutes away from dealer and notice temperature gauge was all the way up and blinking.... pulled over and cooled the car off and limped home....only few miles away.

Motor is nice and quite now....whatever was rattling in the supercharger neck is broke/stopped making noise.....

1. Silly question.....is there anything dealer tech could of done for the SC to go out?
    2. how can you tell if the water pump failed or supercharger failed, since WP it is driven by SC?

:mad2:

Thanks

15. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    If the noise stopped....bet the PTO was done being ground to dust.....noise stops when the gears are gone...takes a LONG time usually....
    If the car basicly runs, no codes for a minute or two, no overheat, then it's likly the issues is the gears in the SC....a jammed sc would likely toss a belt....but if the sheer coupling in the snout failed when it locked up, you would see something similar....but would likly have codes having to do with unexpected airflow, or lack of it.
    Doesn't matter.
    Fix is the same....

Sounds like time for a tow....trying to drive it might cost you the headgasket or worse....

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    ZippyNH is giving you some solid advice. I am sorry to say it sounds like you need a new SC. As far as reliability my 02 R53 has not given me any real problems. I have 148k on it, I did change the SC fluid around 110k I did this just to make sure it was ok and not using fluid. As have been said check some of our sponsors they are all great. I have used Detrout Tuned, Out motoring and eminiparts. All three are great.

Welcome to MA! Nothing better than a R53!

17. 2003Mini S

2003Mini S Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well guys.....I guess it is time for a new SC and WP....

Besides the obvious stuff as far has hoses and belts that should be replaced with this work......Is there anything that I should also be change at this time? since car is apart....

I love driving my pocket rocket......I hope she stay a good girl after this and doesn't give me much back talk! It definitely is a fun car to drive and I love to push it hard and whip around corners.... lmao

I was thinking of getting the ported and polished SC VS stock rebuilt and also get a 15% pulley...

As far as a 15% pulley goes.....can someone tell me the pro's and con's..... I know every mode has a consequences.....

1. is this gonna make the car run hotter? I live in Vegas and it is hot as hell in summer here.
    2. Any other mods needed to be done with 15% pulley?
    3. Is ported and polish SC worth the extra money? How about the 15% pulley? how much horse power gain?
    4. Will the 15% pulley improve or worsen the MPG?

Thanks again for all the great advise.....

18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Port & Polish of a SC is not needed and a waste of money. I have almost 100K on my OEM SC and I am making 100 HP over stock.

A 15% pulley is a perfect size and will not cause excessive heat.

For your question "Will the 15% pulley improve or worsen the MPG?" YES, and only because you will be addicted to the power and you will drive with your foot mashed to the floor. :ihih::lol:

Now since you are doing a new SC with new water pump I would also replace the thermostat and housing. Cheap and easy to do when the tech is in that area. (Piece of mind)

For the other side of the SC I would replace he belt which you will need anyhow because you are going with a 15% pulley. (Gates 535 belt)
    I would also replace the Tensioner, Idler pulley and Crank Damper if it still the OEM one just so you know when they were replaced and your own piece of mind.

You can call Chad Detroit Tuned or Eric at Helix and they can set you up with everything you will need or you can buy most of the parts off of Amazon for much less then any dealershipt will charge you at the part counter.

DO NOT BUY ALTA or M7 parts they are crap and stay away from Way at Walmart Motor works. *You have been warned. :incazzato::nonod::lol::devil::beer

Links to all parts below:

First Gen MINI BIBLE $139.00 ( It's a huge think hard bound book) * You can sometimes find them used for well under $100.
    https://www.amazon.com/MINI-Cooper-Service-Manual-Convertible/dp/0837616395/ref=pd_sim_263_99?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0837616395&pd_rd_r=GVHDB4NXZT9MTX94Y0B3&pd_rd_w=uhKwh&pd_rd_wg=QAyj2&psc=1&refRID=GVHDB4NXZT9MTX94Y0B3

While the SC of off you should replace the O-Ring For Crankshaft Position Sensor.

O-Ring For Crankshaft Position Sensor $ 5.00 : https://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Crankshaft-Position-Sensor-VICTOR/dp/B00AC58YCO/ref=pd_sim_263_10?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00AC58YCO&pd_rd_r=9VRT6MYSYMEPMSA6QE93&pd_rd_w=RRFvw&pd_rd_wg=TCmF5&psc=1&refRID=9VRT6MYSYMEPMSA6QE93

Craven Speed 15% SC pulley $110.00 : https://www.amazon.com/Cravenspeed-Supercharger-Pulley-15-Reduction/dp/B00X83J86S/ref=pd_sim_263_3?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00X83J86S&pd_rd_r=HD6B1Q4E1PNQCNDJCMXX&pd_rd_w=ya7Hw&pd_rd_wg=7TD6E&psc=1&refRID=HD6B1Q4E1PNQCNDJCMXX

Tensioner $88.00 https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-38404-Professional-Automatic-Tensioner/dp/B001KSDZOY/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Mini%7C32&Model=Cooper%7C218&Year=2005%7C2005&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=2&vehicleType=automotive

Gates 535 belt $ 20.00 : https://www.amazon.com/Gates-K060535-Multi-V-Groove-Belt/dp/B000C2SIXC/ref=pd_sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000C2SIXC&pd_rd_r=P96YCSE5RB85K8FJQ4GS&pd_rd_w=p1zVL&pd_rd_wg=e7zI9&psc=1&refRID=P96YCSE5RB85K8FJQ4GS

Idler pulley $28.00 : https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-36168-Professional-Pulley-Shield/dp/B001FJI2VO/ref=pd_sim_263_4?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001FJI2VO&pd_rd_r=P97N83PY8MHM8WWQ9SN8&pd_rd_w=U9LW6&pd_rd_wg=sdJNw&psc=1&refRID=P97N83PY8MHM8WWQ9SN8

REAL OEM Water pump $107.00 : https://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Water-GENUINE-engine-coolant/dp/B00ALHIT6O/ref=sr_1_cc_9?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1475070429&sr=1-9-catcorr&keywords=MINI+Cooper+Water+pump

Thermostat $17.00 : https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Thermostat-Gasket-Cooper-Coop-S/dp/B016J1HUG0/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1475069827&sr=1-8&keywords=Thermostat+MINI+cooper

Thermostat housing $25.00 : https://www.amazon.com/11537512733-Cooper-Coolant-Thermostat-Housing/dp/B00BOJDYVS/ref=sr_1_15?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1475069827&sr=1-15&keywords=Thermostat+MINI+cooper

You have a choice of (2) EXCELLENT Crank Dampers.
    SPI Fluid filled $ 225.00 : https://www.amazon.com/PRW-2510901-Percentage-UnderDrive-Serpentine/dp/B004L2N0FA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1475069789&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=ATI+crank+damper+MINI+cooper

Or the ATI one $409.00 : https://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Crank-Pulley-Harmonic-Damper/dp/B01BT9DDJA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1475069772&sr=1-3-fkmr0&keywords=ATI+crank+damper+MINI+cooper

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Yea everything Dave said!

20. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #20 ZippyNH, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    +1 and the motor should be good for a few years....regular with fresh coolant, and then drive till you need the suspension "upgrade"....it does have old struts and springs right?
    Honestly, you avoid the new car payments, but there is still a price to pay to stay Mobile. But in pure smiles per mile, nothing beats a mini $$$ wise.
    Do keep using premium fuel only....try to save a few $$, and you WILL NEED A VALVE JOB.

And to the worrying if they "did ANYTHING"...
    All they had to do was let it idle....
    The the gears would not grab...car overheats...then when you rev...it would be ok..but worse everytime the rpms drop...
    When the sound goes away...even higher rpms won't help...the last tiny bit of the gears are gone.......