1. newmar

newmar New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Retired aircraft mechanic
    Houston, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I was checking out the '06 MCS today, I heard a pretty loud rattling sound which seemed to be coming from center of the front behind the radiator. Turned off the A/C and the noise went away completely. I thought the a/c compressor was further to the left but it about has to be the compressor making the noise. The a/c does work but didn't seem to get quite as cold as it should. Thoughts? Could it be the cooling fan itself?

2. newmar

newmar New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Upon further reading and review, the rattle is not too uncommon and can be caused by many things ranging from the compressor getting ready to fail to the belt tensioner.....we'll just have to wait and see because I do intend to replace the tensioner, belt, and SC pulley in short order. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something "inexpensive" causing the rattle.:D

3. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Inexpensive and MINI just don't seem to go together. :D

4. newmar

newmar New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I may kindly ask....any of you who have experienced an a/c induced rattle noise, would you post what the cause of the rattle was and how you fixed it? It may not be the same cause as mine, but it would definitely help me to troubleshoot the noise. Thanks!

5. _iD

_iD New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Mine was a failing compressor. The cure was a new compressor.

Sounded like a diesel when the a/c was running.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    Power stg pump fan located center of car near your feet-turning a/c on activates fan circuits and if that fan bearing is failing your hear the noise as you described.