Stage 1 cooling fan problem

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by MiniAnn, Oct 23, 2016.

1. MiniAnn

MiniAnn New Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Western New York
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello from WNY!

I'm new to the Mini forum and decided to join because I love my Mini but also because of a problem with my Stage 1 cooling fan.

I own a Mini Cooper Convertible "Sidewalk Edition" which I bought brand new in 2008. I'm frustrated for I only have 54k miles on it and I've had to replace the Stage 1 cooling fan twice, the last one only 20k miles ago.

I took it to the closest Mini dealership this past Thursday and was told because the replacement fan was out of warranty (2 year warranty) and I had it replaced 3 years ago, the repair again would not be covered. I was quoted $616 to replace it for a second time.

I realize my Mini is 8 years old but come on, 54K miles and having to replace the cooling fan twice , one at 34k miles and again at 54k miles was not acceptable to me.

After showing dissatisfaction and dissapointment, the service manager contacted his Regional rep and they agreed to replace the fan and only charge me for the labor @ $150.

I was very happy for the financial assistance but concerned that this issue will happen again. So far I've had only brakes, muffler, and minor things to deal with, the usual wear and tear; however, two cooling fan replacements doesn't ring as normal to me.

Has anyone else had this issue?

2. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    #2 rkw, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    The problem is common (really, a design flaw) but having to replace it again after only 3 years/20K miles seems unusually early.

$616 at the dealer is outrageous. A new replacement fan can be purchased for about $80 and an independent repair shop can do the labor at much lower cost.

There is a 1300 post thread on NAM on the topic: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/174040-low-speed-fan-resistor-we-need-solution.html. The problem is that the low speed resistor in the fan burns out. There is a quick and easy way to connect an external resistor that bypasses the resistor in the fan. If you get the problem again, consider doing this workaround which is simply done under the hood without taking the car apart.

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    it sounds like the cooling fan resistor. I have the one in my '06 S replaced while at MOTD this year and it's been smooth sailing ever since. As previously stated, it's a easy fix...and cheap.

BTW, WELCOME to M/A!:Thumbsup:

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

I did the above fix years ago and have not had an issue since.

5. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 6 / -5
    Finding a dependable independent shop for repair work will save you fair amount of money with your repair maintenance. Welcome to Motoring Alliance the best MINI forum on the interweb !!

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Not sure if that fix will work on an R56..........

oops, just read convertible, nevermind.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
  8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  9. MiniAnn

MiniAnn New Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Western New York
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks so much for the info. Unfortunately me or husband have no mechanical ability whatsoever, lol!

Being that I live in a small town south of Buffalo, there aren't many local mechanics who have worked on Mini's aside from replacing brakes, mufflers, etc. I did call 2 or 3 locals who never called me back regarding the cooling fan fix.

Thank goodness I was persistent in insisting that Mini should cover this and they did. As I mentioned, $150 for the labor was a far cry better than what they originally wanted to charge me for labor and parts.

I just had my muffler replaced in late September. A local muffler shop charged me $300, the Mini Dealership quoted $880. That certainly was a no brainer.