Hello from West Virginia with a broken Mini Cooper S

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Nexie, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Nexie

Nexie New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,
    I'm new here and starting with a complaint!! Actually, it's more moaning. I was going to the store I started the Mini Cooper S 2006, and it just stalled out. This has never happened before. I made it to the store after one more stall.

Unfortunately, the last 3 times I drove it it started making noises when I turned the steering wheel, so I knew I needed to check the fluid levels. When I checked out the problems online everything pointed to needing a new steering fluid pump...but the steering never seized up.

My Mini only has 25,830 miles on it. I'm the original Old Lady Driver. I'm not sure where to start with diagnosing my Mini's problem. Any one have any experiences with this? I don't want to go into a dealers completely unarmed!! Nexie

2. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, my first post involved a problem as well. I am learning, but am not yet versed enough to offer you any insight. It may take a little time for you to get feedback from some of the more knowledgeable members, but they typically come through for those in need. Even though your car has low mileage, it is now 10 years old. Do you know what the maintenance/repair history is for the car?

3. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Wow, 25,830 miles on a 2006. Impressive.

Usually, if a power steering pump is low on fluid, or pump failure happens, it is very vocal -- it comes with a whole lot of noise. Not subtle noise -- it's loud. It is a metallic grinding kind of noise.

I'm not sure how it would stall the engine.

If the power steering fluid reservoir is full, and it still makes noise, your pump may be toast. That's not the worst problem a car can have. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive, either.

CD

4. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I believe the good news is the recall will replace the pump.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,877 / 10 / -3
    first did you check the power steering fluid? Only use CHF 11S fluid. Call MINI USA and give them your vin number to see if it is covered, I don't believe 2006 is but check. The power steering pump is electric there is a fan that keeps it cool, if that fan goes out the pump can over heat and fail. If you don't do your own work find a good shop that knows how to work on MINIs, some dealers are good also. I don't know if anyone here knows a good shop close to you.
    As far as the stalling, take it to any parts store and see if it is showing any codes and let us know what you find. Lastly I don't know how long you have owned it, but only use 93 octane 91 at the least and don't put cheep gas in it it makes a difference.

Welcome to MA!

6. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,978 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance !! Sounds like you have a great R53. Is the steering making noise when turned to the left and right ?? Does it take greater effort to turn the steering wheel ?? Any other symptoms appearing ?? Knowledge is power and with that being said a qualified independent mechanic who is MINI competent would serve you well in the maintaining of your ride.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    What color is your MINI? With that year and mileage I will buy it. :devil:

If the car has not been serviced in those ten years you may be due for a tune up. ( Plugs, Air Filter, New Battery )

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Sorry to say that recall does not cover the 2006 MINI. :confused5:

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A Nexie. I hope you get this squared away.

10. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! :Thumbsup:

11. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the modness. Great site and greater people. I wish I could help...buy I Know Nothing !!! :)

12. Nexie

Nexie New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Problem with steering pump...maybe.

Thanks to all that gave me advice. I was surprised to hear that the steering pump would make a lot of noise, mine didn't. I'm the only owner of the car and have had no problems except a coolant leak that took some doing to find and fix.

Unfortunately my car is not covered by the recall. I think I may have over-reacted a bit. I checked the steering fluid level and it seemed fine and no traces of leaks anywhere. Also I never did have any problem with the steering seizing up.

I'm taking it in next Thursday to have it looked over just in case there is something wrong. I drove it around my neighborhood and it behaved just fine. But I'll make sure it is just fine.

I'm also like a old lady driver...I don't always rev the car up enough when I shift. The sign of a lazy driver...it wouldn't hurt me to drive like I have a race car...which is what it is!

Thanks to all of you. I will let you know what comes of the situation.

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,877 / 10 / -3
    Good luck! Let us know what they say.