Clutch squeals on 2012 Countryman

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by CaptBill, Mar 4, 2017.

1. CaptBill

CaptBill New Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Greetings fellow Mini Owners!
    I have a 2012 All4 S Manual.. The car has developed a squeal when starting off from a stop in 1st gear - No other noise in other gears or noticeable slip ... Car has 40k miles ... ??? Thanks!

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! Does it go away when it gets warm? Mini uses a duel mass flywheel that are know to make noise.

3. CaptBill

CaptBill New Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi thanks! ... Just started last week and only occasionally .. now does it almost every time ... in reverse as well ... also getting an odor that smells "hot" even when only driven several blocks ...

Just got the car from a reputable car dealer a month ago ... Afraid I'm gonna need a clutch job before I've made the first payment on it. :incazzato:

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    40k would be very early to need a new clutch, but if the previous owner did not know haw to drive a manual......
    All 4 of my kids learned to drive on my Mini and the clutch still made it to 150k. If it is the flywheel then you will get a bit of a squal starting out. But there should be no smell. It may be a through out bearing going bad. Could You have a brake that is hanging? Drive it around the block and see if the smell is coming room one of the wheels.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Does it seem to be slipping in 5th or 6th gear if you floor it? Then it's a bad clutch...

When you replace it... Go with a new throwout bearing... MINI uses space age plastic there when they shouldn't (saved 5 cents by doing so)....

Flywheel may need replaced.... YMMV.... It's a dual mass with rubber isolation.... Depending on how the previous owner handled shifting, it could have a shortened life???? Since you are in there anyway.... Anyway just my $0.02