Suspension Brakes New NM springs messed up adjustibility of sway bar

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by mrminimmel, Aug 28, 2011.

1. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I recently had the NM lowering springs put in my 2010 Cooper S. This morning I went out to adjust the rear sway bar and I couldn't get the bolt to loosen, to let go, so that I could move to the stiffer setting. Is there a trick to releasing the tension? In my Cooper I've removed the wheel and made the adjustment without any problem. Help please and thank you. Pete

2. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    usually if you lift the whole rear of the car releasing the sway bar should be easy. If you are trying to do one side at a time (lifting one side then the other) you will run into difficulty.

3. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Bingo ^

If you are trying to lift just one side of the car, you are putting pressure on the otherside causing the sway to "do its job."

Just lift the whole rear of the car, and done deal.

4. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'll try that later today.
    Pete

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I do mine one side at a time. My trick is to take my second floor jack & lift up on the arm & release the tension.

6. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I knew there was a great reason to go to Harbor Freight for that second, light weight floor jack. Thanks again. Maybe also a set of t-handle hex keys??
    Seriously though, does anyone recommend the blocks that fit up into the "jack pad" recesses?

7. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I personally have never used them, and i have never had an issue after jacking up a MINI well over a 100 times.

Crashtons approach works, as thats essentially what i do as well. Having two jacks, OR just a set of jack-stands is usually good.

FYI If you are going to Harbor Freight for the 2nd jack, make sure get a coupon for it. Dang thing is always on sale.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'm old school I use a piece of oak on the jack... :D

As cheap as those Harbor Freight jacks are. Two makes plenty of sense.

9. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    And as I try every once in awhile to admit when I pull a boneheaded stunt, I should say that the springs in my car were not causing the problem, the fact that I rushed to do something I'd done before was the problem. Never to old to learn to plan the work.